Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

There are lots of things probably at play, here.  I suspect it's more Paramount stretching its slate out and somewhat due to COVID-extended issues, rather than problems with the movies, themselves.  

Paramount's supposed STAR TREK was already pushed to DEC. 2023, last I read, right?  

3 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Paramount has lots of problems,  but could also be the movie 

It's possible. The filming was chaotic even for a MI movie because of the pandemic. Par is cursed. Top Gun 2 sandwiched between Dr strange and Jurassic and now this.

It's likely that the COVID-related problems that have been impacting production is just forcing studios to think about the long term and move things to next year to take advantage of open spaces regardless of whether it's finished or not, kinda like how the WGA strike ended up having a major impact on the 2008-2009 movie schedule.

• Like 2

I don't buy the pandemic reason at all.  

Paramount has no reason to release Mission Impossible 7 essentially 6 weeks after Top Gun: Maverick is finishing up its run.  

They want to make these world wide events and promote the shit out of it everywhere.  Hard to do when smashed up against another Tom Cruise movie.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I don't buy the pandemic reason at all.  

Paramount has no reason to release Mission Impossible 7 essentially 6 weeks after Top Gun: Maverick is finishing up its run.  

They want to make these world wide events and promote the shit out of it everywhere.  Hard to do when smashed up against another Tom Cruise movie.  

We're getting movies in the same franchise released 6 weeks after they release, but releasing a new Tom Cruise 6 weeks after his previous movie finishes its run (not even 6 weeks after release) is going to somehow make MI7 less of an event or harder to market?

With the attention span people have today, Top Gun 2 would've been old news by the time MI7 releases.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

So between Maverick (May '22) and Transformers (June '23) Paramount don't have a big premiere. More than anything I'd bet on that Viacom-Comcast merger (Deadline reported some talks already happened) or Redstone selling at least Paramount and its streamer (to Apple?). The CW is already for sale (Viacom owns 50%) so if PAR has strong Q1+Q2 to make them look good... Yeah, I think that's why they moved TF and MI.

9 hours ago, Alexander said:

So between Maverick (May '22) and Transformers (June '23) Paramount don't have a big premiere. More than anything I'd bet on that Viacom-Comcast merger (Deadline reported some talks already happened) or Redstone selling at least Paramount and its streamer (to Apple?). The CW is already for sale (Viacom owns 50%) so if PAR has strong Q1+Q2 to make them look good... Yeah, I think that's why they moved TF and MI.

so after making a big deal about big movies on Paramount plus, none will appear until 2023, a mess with Maverick possibly having a window on EPIX first

8 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

so after making a big deal about big movies on Paramount plus, none will appear until 2023, a mess with Maverick possibly having a window on EPIX first

Well, what big movies? They only have Sonic 2 and Top Gun 2 + MI8 and TF7 (likely to bomb anyway) in post-production and looks like the only movie Paramount could shoot this year is A Quiet Place spin-off (budget probably anywhere between 20-30M). This studio basically doesn't exist anymore so I'd bet Sheri Redstone sells it soon.