Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (3/15-3/17): Captain Marvel 68, Wonder Park 15.8, Five Feet Apart 13.2, Dragon 9.3, Madea 7.8

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The latter two have plenty of promise. Anderson is Anderson and Zhao had an impressive breakthrough with The Rider.

though actually IMDb has The French Dispatch as 2020. Probably another Berlinale premiere & spring release kind of deal.

Great for Captain Marvel, wasn't one of my favourite MCU movies but really glad it's doing that well for several reasons. Fun March and I hope this continues with Us and Dumbo overperforming 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

And Polaroid lmao.

LOL I had forgotten about this, but now I remember Harvey shifting release dates between this and Tulip Fever (talk about one that should have stayed in the vault!). But this is just dumb teen horror, surprised it wasn't released in January.

At this rate, Captain Marvel will be the 5th superhero film to cross 1B WW in between the beginning of 2018 and so far in 2019. It's also the 7th MCU film to do it, the 10th sh film to do it this decade, and 11th sh film to do it overall (The Dark Knight was the only one pre-2010 to reach the billion mark).

Those awaiting for superhero fatigue will probably need to wait a while for that to happen. (If it ever happens.)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

At this rate, Captain Marvel will be the 5th superhero film to cross 1B WW in between the beginning of 2018 and so far in 2019. It's also the 7th MCU film to do it, the 10th sh film to do it this decade, and 11th sh film to do it overall (The Dark Knight was the only one pre-2010 to reach the billion mark).

Those awaiting for superhero fatigue will probably need to wait a while for that to happen. (If it ever happens.)

5th of 7 from 2018-2019 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nero said:

Marvel is beast. Even if they make short film I'll be excited... xD

I like their one-shots. I doubt they'll do it, but would love to see some around CM, maybe Wakanda in bewteen IW and Endgame for details probably not getting shown in Endgame...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

LOL I had forgotten about this, but now I remember Harvey shifting release dates between this and Tulip Fever (talk about one that should have stayed in the vault!). But this is just dumb teen horror, surprised it wasn't released in January.

I saw tulip fever in the cinema a few weeks ago. Amazing. Good lord.

• Haha 1

I am very happy for CM. With this second weekend in the bank nobody can take away its blockbuster status. That argument is over for good.

I think it’s also important to note that a good percentage of CM’s supporting cast is African American. In fact I thought SLJ carried a good part of this film.

Marvel dominates because they understand diversity and inclusion better than any other major movie franchise in cinema history. People can be mad if they want. Look at the results! I couldn’t be happier.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

13 minutes ago, Green245 said:

Marvel dominates because they understand diversity and inclusion better than any other major movie franchise in cinema history. People can be mad if they want. Look at the results! I couldn’t be happier.

ZQQ477S4WJDX5EGXDSW4O5R7SM.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Green245 said:

I am very happy for CM. With this second weekend in the bank nobody can take away its blockbuster status. That argument is over for good.

I think it’s also important to note that a good percentage of CM’s supporting cast is African American. In fact I thought SLJ carried a good part of this film.

That's why they dominate the franchise division of the box office (3rd place to 100th)? No other reasons?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Green245 said:

What I like: they (MCU supporting cast) are having a ~ 'real' supporting role, not only ornamentation or canon fodder or... No matter if PoC or not. See e.g. Maria Hill in Avengers 1, she is actively fighting and organising, Coulsen in the same movie,

Not in every movie, but see e.g. Falcon, Wakanda, ... memorable roles that do add to the team / action / the whole in a considerable way

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

That's why they dominate the franchise division of the box office (3rd place to 100th)? No other reasons?

No. There are LOTS of other reasons. But strong characters of both genders and characters of different ethnic backgrounds are a factor in their worldwide success.

16 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

What I like: they (MCU supporting cast) are having a ~ 'real' supporting role, not only ornamentation or canon fodder or... No matter if PoC or not. See e.g. Maria Hill in Avengers 1, she is actively fighting and organising, Coulsen in the same movie,

Not in every movie, but see e.g. Falcon, Wakanda, ... memorable roles that do add to the team / action / the whole in a considerable way

I agree that MCU’s supporting casts have been great. Brie larson’s supporting cast was fantastic. The support has really helped the MCU movie universe.

• Like 1

18th biggest OW into 18th biggest 2nd wknd is quite a remarkable coincidence. Will be really tickled it CM can carry the streak into the 3rd wknd, but it's a pretty narrow window to hit (37.3-37.9).

• Like 2