TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

23 minutes ago, Djsoke said:

Wait... I just checked Pet Sematary's RT score. Wasn't it around 80-85% at one point? It's now down to 62%, and the audience score is at 50% :wtf:

they shouldn't have brought it back tbh. sometimes dead is better.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, LordNox said:

I am already salty that Captain Marvel made more than the first female superhero. But to be fair Wonder Woman came after Batman v Superman while Captain Marvel came after infinity war. I'm hoping WW84 can join the 1 billion club.

True. WW was the follow up to a whole bunch of badly reviewed/badly received films that soured audiences on the DCEU, while CM, despite inferior reviews, was the 'bridge' between the two most anticipated films in a cinematic narrative that was interconnected a whole bunch of highly acclaimed, incredibly successful films. Of course CM had the upper hand when it came to the box office. What makes it sting even more (for me) is that Gal Gadot's WW is the brightest spot in a cinematic universe that has simply sorta/kinda imploded. Not that I won't enjoy her solo films, but it would have been nice if she had been featured in a connected comic book universe that was not a clusterfuck.

At the end of the day, I am glad that Wonder Woman was finally turned into a cinematic commodity (which should have happened decades ago---I still can't believer it tool her over seventy years to make her first big-screen appearance) and I am thrilled that from this point on, she will undoubtedly continue to have movies and movie reboots forever and ever, just like Spidey, Batman, and Superman. There is just too much money to be made on her for studios not to continue making WW films.  Also, there aren't  that many superhero films (starring men or women) that get to add an iconic scene to the pantheon of most memorable film scenes of all time.

Wonder Woman did it on her first try (the No Man's Land scene), which is up there with the likes of the upside down kiss in the rain scene in Spider-Man and the “You’ve got me? Who’s got you?" moment from Superman The Movie.

Just unforgettable.

Edited by LouisianaArkansasGeorgia
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

April in general is going to be really light until the Avengers: Endgame explosion. Shazam! will open so low that even if it holds really well the raw numbers won't be very big by the time the April 26-28 weekend rolls around.

It'll be interesting to see how Breakthrough opens on Easter Weekend. Could be another I Can Only Imagine.

Btw, I would like to apologize to some comments I made toward @langer in the... Monday?... thread, about CM’s legs from here.

My argument was based on the unexamined premise that if CM received an AEG bump it would be of approximately the same magnitude as BP’s bump, but that is actually unjustified for 2 reasons:  

1) BP had already sold 650M by this weekend, vs CM’s 375M. More people having already seen it means fewer who see it for the first time in the couple weeks before Avengers out a need to catch up   

2) I thought the amount of hype for Endgame in the couple of weeks before release would be about on par with IW, but it now seems clear that is not the case.     

I’m on the 410-420 train for now, but you don’t have to do anything particularly unreasonable mathematically to get it over Catching Fire.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Us should be looking at a $16,500,000-$17,000,000 weekend with a $4,750,000 Friday. Pet Semetary is going to come in at around $21,000,000 with a 9,750,000 Friday using the same multiplier as Evil Dead. The movie is more previews heavy, though, so it might be even lower than that. 

Last w/e US had a 3.268 multi - if the same it would hit $15.52m

I know people like to compare WW and CM. But I find it odd. We only have 2 female big budget Superhero movies and we are already comparing. 

I would be very happy if BOP, Black Widow, WW84 and Eternals breakout. 👌👌

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Aquaman was popular as a joke tho. Nobody took him seriously. Breaking 300m was a surprise 

Oh, absolutely.

He was a joke, but an iconic joke, nonetheless.

Even if just in the context of "how lame is he?" thoughts, he was still better known to the GA before his film than most superheroes that everyone knows now thanks to their own movies.

I am glad that now, the only ones laughing about Aquaman are Wan and Momoa (laughing all the way to the you know what)...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Oh, absolutely.

He was a joke, but an iconic joke, nonetheless.

Even if just in the context of "how lame is he?" thoughts, he was still better known to the GA before his film than most superheroes that everyone knows now thanks to their own movies.

I am glad that now, the only ones laughing about Aquaman are Wan and Momoa (laughing all the way to the you know what)...

To the...MR WORLDWIDE CONCERT 

Can't believe they put as much money in Aquaman to be honest, I am pretty sure the real production budget was closer to 250m, the scale, the insane amount of effects, the action, the gigantic world building etc etc 

It was LOTR shit in water.

So fucking glorious !

• Like 1

Just now, RealLyre said:

Pet Sematary is almost rotten..

..did Paramount run out of checks? :thinking:

They blew their budget last year with A Quiet Place, Fallout and Bumblebee

• Astonished 1

13 minutes ago, Matthew said:

We only have 2 female big budget Superhero movies and we are already comparing. 

They get compared constantly because there are only 2, not in spite of it. It’s like “hmm, I want to compare CM to a recent female led CBM, my options are... oh, right, I have no options. WW it is I guess.”       

A few years from now people will be able to compare female led MCU to other female led MCU and female led DCEU with other female led DCEU.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Thanks 1

Just came back from Pet Sematary and i kind of loved it. It has some huge flaws so i understand that critics are mixed about it but i really enjoyed it.

Also watched the 89 original before i went to the cinema and ... i also liked that film :lol: in my memory it was way worse but its a really solid horror film. I do like the remake better though.

3 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Pet Sematary is almost rotten after it was 88%-90% for so long..

..did Paramount run out of checks? :thinking:

It's what can happen when the bloggers give their review well ahead of mainstream media - especially for a younger geek male skewing property

• Thanks 1

My 12:40 showing of Pet Sematary was about one-third full in a 300-seater. Schools are on spring break this week, but most of the crowd looked older than high school age. Take that as you will, I guess.