Eric the Minion

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

4 minutes ago, I Am said:

The "character work" for nearly all of the cast of "Infinity War" came in the first twenty movies.
And the development of Thanos, like @Broshnat and @PPZVGOS  stated, is some of the best "character work" of a film villain ever.

Maybe I don't understand because I didn't go to Film Review School, but a lot of what I see in contrarian-to-contrarian dislike for "Infinity War" (and for many movies that go against the critic-grain) is coming into a movie with extreme dislike and then justifying that dislike however possible, simply because the movie is held in high regard.

Hi there, and welcome.

Just to clear up a couple of things:

- I wasn't criticising the character elements in IW. But as you yourself state, only one character actually has a completed self-contained arc in that movie. Thanos. That is a significant contrast - by design - from Endgame.

- The two movies have different rationales. I was not proffering that one was specifically better than the other. I was giving a reading as to why, given what to most would be a self-evident rough similarity in objective quality of the two movies, some people seem to significantly prefer one to another. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stewart said:

Lol. It's like Endgame has a hitlist

• break preview record
  • break single day record on true Friday
  • break single day record AGAIN on Saturday
  • break OW record
  • break DOM record
  • break WW record
  • break the earth as a whole

Why no Sunday record??

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I have my doubts about domestic record.  That's going to be tough.

Me too to be honest.

But I feel it's not completely out of the question, especially given the better WOM we've seen from other countries, hopefully that translates to NA. 

Anything above 900m, i.e. within striking distance of TFA, would be truly remarkable. Not that 800m or even 700m wouldn't be, but just that 900m feels like the super stretch goal at this point ~ 3x multiplier 

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

I have my doubts about domestic record.  That's going to be tough.

me too.

Force Awakens is way shorter, it had insane repeat business from Star Wars fans.

Endgame will have a tough time for repeat business because of its unusual length.

Not many hardcore will find time to see it more than 2 times.

Frankly beating IW and Black Panther would be an achievment in itself domestic IMO.

OS is an entirely different world, 2,5 B WW is a high possibility.

Edited by The Futurist

Congrats to Endgame! Can't believe 300 million is happening (I still believe Force Awakens would've done it or come extremely close if it was released in the summer). Crazy. Theoretically, how high can an opening go? Could we see a 375-400 million opener within the next 10 years?

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

me too.

Force Awakens is way shorter, it had insane repeat business from Star Wars fans.

Endgame will have a tough time for repeat business because of its unusaul length.

The biggest difference is XMAS/ NYE and then a comparatively empty Jan compared to May & June.

@CJohn This is your moment. You have earned this, brother. The 300M train is finally hitting. It truly is the endgame.

Also predicting it right now: if Friday, with schools, colleges and work still in place, is going to cross 80M, well then I'm calling Saturday as the day we see the 1st ever true day 100M gross ever. Yup, 100M Saturday. Calling it now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

me too.

Endgame will have a tough time for repeat business because of its unusual length.

Frankly beating IW and Black Panther would be an achievment in itself domestic IMO.

OS is an entirely different world, 2,5 B WW is a high possibility.

The repeat factor is going to be strong, I believe.....but getting a 3 multiplier off a record breaking OW is tough.  Not impossible, Avengers did it.  But not many others in the MCU have...in fact, off the top of my head...I think the first IM and the first GOTG are the only other ones to do it.