Eric Prime

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

Well if 60m holds up, it comes in a tad lower than my 65m prediction. My preview prediction was rather bullish in comparison to the rest of the weekend as I was expecting some heavy frontloading. This may very well be more backloaded and still hit my OD prediction (139m) if Friday matinees are strong and would almost definitely beat my OW prediction (305m) since it’s playing off a higher true Friday. 

Just now, baumer said:

The repeat factor is going to be strong, I believe.....but getting a 3 multiplier off a record breaking OW is tough.  Not impossible, Avengers did it.  But not many others in the MCU have...in fact, off the top of my head...I think the first IM and the first GOTG are the only other ones to do it.  

How dare you disrespect royalty

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Hi there, and welcome.

Just to clear up a couple of things:

- I wasn't criticising the character elements in IW. But as you yourself state, only one character actually has a completed self-contained arc in that movie. Thanos. That is a significant contrast - by design - from Endgame.

- The two movies have different rationales. I was not proffering that one was specifically better than the other. I was giving a reading as to why, given what to most would be a self-evident rough similarity in objective quality of the two movies, some people seem to significantly prefer one to another. 

Oh, I understand! I didn't mean to come off critical towards you. You don't come off as a graduate of Film Review School (lol,) which is why I fleshed out my explanation more afterwards. 

And I completely agree with you on the two movies having different "rationales." When Marvel announced the name change, because the two movies would be "different," I thought it was a load of hogwash. Haha But, really, the Russo Brothers have done fantastic work across both films, taking our expectations and upending them, like I said previously, but still giving us incredible results is truly the work of masters.

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

I think Saturday will be $112m if Friday is $145m. 

Same Saturday drop as Infinity War. 

Too difficult since Friday for AEG is so much bigger.  Daytime seat saturation is already incredibly high

I just checked my local - there are 14 non wheel chair seats left in a 301 seat auditorium for a Noon showing.

20 minutes ago, jaybox said:

Congrats to Endgame! Can't believe 300 million is happening (I still believe Force Awakens would've done it or come extremely close if it was released in the summer). Crazy. Theoretically, how high can an opening go? Could we see a 375-400 million opener within the next 10 years?

Avengers only took 7 years to +50% themself, so logically 450M for Avengers 6 in 2026.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

OK I HAVE A QUESTION:

What do the studios consider "preview" grosses, and what do they consider "pure Friday" grosses?

Back in the day, previews would be (I think) showings between midnight-3am. But now that this is running almost 24 hours... would it be the 5pm showings to like 6am?

Cut off Dumbo Ears !!!

Cut off Carol Denvers Magic Space hair !

Fudge it Disney  !

Fudge it HARD !

300M OW or NOTHING !

WHATEVER IT TAKES !!!!

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Too difficult since Friday for AEG is so much bigger.  Daytime seat saturation is already incredibly high

I just checked my local - there are 14 non wheel chair seats left in a 301 seat auditorium for a Noon showing.

Is it possible that Endgame's Saturday ends up the same as its pure Friday?

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 minute ago, ChipMunky said:

OK I HAVE A QUESTION:

What do the studios consider "preview" grosses, and what do they consider "pure Friday" grosses?

Back in the day, previews would be (I think) showings between midnight-3am. But now that this is running almost 24 hours... would it be the 5pm showings to like 6am?

Anything that starts before 6am the next day.  That goes back to at least HP8.

There just aren't many movies that can keep filling theaters at 5am though.  Most not even at midnight any more with previews being moved up.

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Infinity War had tiny daily drops over its weekend:

Saturday -22.8% (including previews) 

Sunday -15.7% 

thankfully they opened on the exact same weekend only 12 months apart, so they’re directly comparable 

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I think Saturday will be $112m if Friday is $145m. 

Same Saturday drop as Infinity War. 

Yeah no. It’s not directly comparable (aka expecting the same type of drops) when EG just got a preview number that was 50%+ over IW.

You’ll be looking at close to 400M OW if it follows IW from now lol. 

I doubt Avengers 5 makes more than Endgame, but then again, all of the consecutive Avengers films have been record breakers, even if theoretically (shut up, you know Ultron would have beaten Avengers' 207 were it not for the boxing match on Saturday), so you never know.

Maybe if some huge storyline comes ahead for A5 like Secret Wars or something where the X-Men and Fantastic Four come into play, and the new Avenger household names (Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Spidey, Strange, Ant-Man, etc.) are all really strongly estabilished, we could see another OW breaker there. Although they should take at least a good 5, 6, maybe 7 years before another Avengers movie.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

I just noticed from another thread @Charlie Jatinder upgraded to purple so congrats :) my best friend name is Charles so when we're having sex and I'm screaming his name i'm gonna be thinking of you

I don’t know which part I should be more alarmed about. That you’re doing the dirty with your best friend, or that you plan on thinking of someone else while doing said dirty. 

Keep on being you though. I love it lol.

• Thanks 1