Eric Duncan

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

15 minutes ago, MadmenEndgame said:

Okay, so here is thw thing.. 

When CM was about to release everybody was saying it will be Marvel first flop.

Now, it has made money. Everybody is saying Endgame helped it. 

So desperate you all are. It is pathetic. 

I wasn't saying that. LOL. It was a surefire hit

7 minutes ago, Birdo Mandingo said:

only a Sith deals in absolutes.

It was definitely helped by not just Endgame but the MCU as a whole. And yes it is very clearl its proximity to Endgame is giving it fabulous late legs. To deny this would be to deny that the MCU works as a concept. The ideal is that the movies synergize with each with each part contributing to the whole which then strengthens the individual parts via their connect to the whole.

So people who said CM would flop are just terrible at predicting movies or just were really hoping it would fail for one reason or another or are too dense to realize that no MCU movie can flop right now. If a movie were so bad it would there is no way Disney lets it release, it would at most get the Ant-Man 1 treatment where they have to go back to the drawing board on it.

In CM's case it was directly tie to IW and EG through post credit scenes. In IW it teased CM and in CM we saw her in Endgame post credits. To deny CM has greatly benefitted from EG is irrationally, just like predicting CM to "flop" was illogical. 

It benefited sure but Ant Man 2 didn't benefit one bit. My guess is CM still does 900+ without it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Uh no not really. Many MANY people on here predicted a 200M+ opening. The lowest I think any non-troll was going was 130-140 or something.

Too many people have been trying to re-write history for CM. I ain’t letting that happen on this forum.

I am not sure how true that is. One of the most reliable prediction indicators I use are the derby numbers because you know people are serious when it comes to derby (even better indicator is a contest with a prize lol). I think I counted almost 40 or so predictions on derby for CM and the average was remarkably just 1% off the actual OW. I dont think I saw any 200m predictions there. 

I am sure some people like Dman who overpredicts everything must have thrown the 200+ numbers around but i doubt there were “Many many” as you say. 

But yeah that Madmen guys post is not true whatsoever. I hardly saw anyone on this forum saying CM will flop. 

• Like 5

So everyone is going on about CM so I will chime in. CM would have done billion without Endgame because even freaking Ant-Man did 500M+ back in the day. After IW MCU was at its peak so brand also helps. But here's the thing if CM wouldn't have been good movie people wouldn't give a shit about CM and it wouldn't have grossed 1B. Some other facts that CM is close to 1.1B now when last weekend's jump happened so yeah Endgame is helping it now but it had already crossed 1B mark. So Endgame will mostly help it's gross by 20M+ else CM would have managed it. Remember CM was first MCU female protagonist movie so that was also advantage. Now no more CM discussion and move on too AEG record breaking numbers.. 😄

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Adjusting numbers isn’t a bullet proof concept.  There’s a lot of thing to consider. For example Star Wars had less competition.  The superhero genre is  oversaturated. Can’t imagine Star Wars doing as well had it been competing with 5-7 space operas every year. Also let’s not forget streaming. That’s bound to keep a lot of people satisfied and stay at home. A lot of Star Wars films also benefited from December releases and LONG breaks between sequels. I can guarantee that if marvel took a decade break and came back with the original avengers they would outgross any Star Wars movie domestically. The MCU formula is unique and has to be looked at differently. No one has managed to replicate it. Releasing 2-3 movies per year and still maintaining massive success. Star Wars tried and failed. MCU is bigger. 

Yawn, and even when taking out adjustments Force Awakens is 936 million, far and above any Avengers movie. domestically. Even with Endgame, I'm predicting 850 million (admittedly falling for the hype), still well below that number and likely the absolute peak of the MCU (meaning that subsequent releases will be big but won't be as regarded as the OG 6). As for the bold; I'm not going to say that isn't a possibility, could happen, but it hasn't.  A Harry Potter reunion movie could break records opening weekend as could a Nolan "Dark Knight Returns" or "Batman Beyond" movie with Christian Bale reprising his role - not really into the "if" game but i'll play it. I could easily say that if Episode 9 gets in the good graces of Star Wars fans that a Knights of Old Republic trilogy would likely blast everything out the water. Also- The OT was released in the Summer originally (memorial day weekends i believe). 

Endgame, which has an argument for most hyped movie all time surpasses Force awakens 976 million, i'll say MCU has officially overtaken Star Wars in the states. Pretty simple. Until then data along with context supports that Star Wars peaked higher in the US than MCU did. 

Edited by jaybox

6 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I am not sure how true that is. One of the most reliable prediction indicators I use are the derby numbers because you know people are serious when it comes to derby (even better indicator is a contest with a prize lol). I think I counted almost 40 or so predictions on derby for CM and the average was remarkably just 1% off the actual OW. I dont think I saw any 200m predictions there. 

I am sure some people like Dman who overpredicts everything must have thrown the 200+ numbers around but i doubt there were “Many many” as you say. 

But yeah that Madmen guys post is not true whatsoever. I hardly saw anyone on this forum saying CM will flop. 

Hey GraceRandoplh made a club remember under 650M so :ph34r:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

GUYS TODAY I WILL WITNESS HISTORY

Will Kyler Murray be the #1 pick? Will the Cardinals trade away their pick? 

This is the event of the weekend.

Gonna be the biggest bust since Jamarcus Russell. I really hope he goes first for the shitshow. 

6 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

It benefited sure but Ant Man 2 didn't benefit one bit. My guess is CM still does 900+ without it. 

Ya, 900 million is fair. If Engame was not pegged to release until say 2020 CM would not got the benefit of the Endgame "Hype umbrella".  Also I believe the physical proximity in released dates is why CM would have gotten more of a boost from Endgame then AMaW did. At release hype was already fever pitch for Endgame which helped a good, bit and now it is probably getting close to 50m in benefit to its late legs due to endgame. Of course both movies got the MCU boost, but CM got more from EG specifically, I mean you cant deny its late legs and all the extra money it is making right now. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

GUYS TODAY I WILL WITNESS HISTORY

Will Kyler Murray be the #1 pick? Will the Cardinals trade away their pick? 

This is the event of the weekend.

This is not the endgame :wtf: