Eric Duncan

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

9 minutes ago, jaybox said:

Lol. I already said MCU surpassed Star Wars worldwide though, I know the numbers; they're staggering.. I'm talking about simply in the United States. It hasn't. I mean I don't know what else needs to be said. 

Star Wars A New Hope adjusts to Well over a 1 billion

Star Wars Force Awakens Adjusts to 976 million, so basically 1 billion

Empire and Jedi adjust to over 850 plus million 

Menace over 815 million 

Take out the re-releases, Force Awakens is basically 1 billion. and the first star wars would likely still be in the top 10.

lol

Adjusting numbers isn’t a bullet proof concept.  There’s a lot of thing to consider. For example Star Wars had less competition.  The superhero genre is  oversaturated. Can’t imagine Star Wars doing as well had it been competing with 5-7 space operas every year. Also let’s not forget streaming. That’s bound to keep a lot of people satisfied and stay at home. A lot of Star Wars films also benefited from December releases and LONG breaks between sequels. I can guarantee that if marvel took a decade break and came back with the original avengers they would outgross any Star Wars movie domestically. The MCU formula is unique and has to be looked at differently. No one has managed to replicate it. Releasing 2-3 movies per year and still maintaining massive success. Star Wars tried and failed. MCU is bigger. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

At what Deadline midnight number we riot. I will go with 57mn. Anything below 57mn I am disappointed.

The record is $57m? 

Anything under $58m would be disappointing then, considering all those weeks of pre release craziness. 

Richard Roeper gave Endgame 4/4 stars, and says Robert Downey deserves an Oscar nod; his performance is "great acting in a great film." Wow.

I would love to see Downey get an Oscar nom for Endgame, sort of as an all-encompassing nod to his complete body of work as Tony Stark, which has been consistently great and sometimes amazing.

Really can't wait to see this now! Only 6 hours to go!

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Oh please enough with the myth that Captain Marvel grossed a lot because of Infinity War/End Game.

Let’s not forget that Ant-Man and the wasp received the same treatment and that barely scrapped 600 million. And that movie was also directly connected to infinity war with the snap. 

1. Of course it’s helping, look at last weekend and this weeks numbers. It’ll continue to receive money from End Game showings throughout this weekend. 

2. Ant Man and Wasp came out after Infinity War was basically over box office wise. You didn’t have to rush to see AATW before IW to meet the characters. Captain Marvel was required reading. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

At what Deadline midnight number we riot. I will go with 57mn. Anything below 57mn I am disappointed.

Sweet Jesus if this does 50M everyone wil call it a flop at this point. Records or nothing!

• Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1

I agree, would be a little odd at this point if EG doesn't set the preview record, but IW also underperformed many's expectations for Thursday night and still did gangbusters business on the weekend. The presales #s are so high that it can definitely reach 300m without setting the preview record (though I think it still has to do 50m+ to have a chance).

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jaybox said:

No, Captain Marvel was a solid movie, but to ignore the impact of Infinity War, an all time great blockbuster with one of the best cliffhanger endings in modern movie history (it'll be remembered as the best non Empire Strikes Back cliffhanger ever In my opinion) is crazy. The SECOND I saw that logo on the beeper at that post credits scene I literally said, "welp shit, looks like I have to see Captain Marvel." When people were predicting CM's opening weekend I was one of the people saying "150 million at least based off the post credits scene alone." I had a co-worker literally tell me a few days ago that his favorite part of Captain Marvel was the post credits scene where she shows up answering the beeper. I know it's one person but like I said if you think that didn't play any part than it's a misguided assumption.

Also, Aquaman's 1.1 billion dollar gross could be attributed to audiences having more faith in DC due to Wonder Woman along with Jason Mamoa's popularity, and Aquaman being known in terms of being a punchline for decades and the curiosity involving the different take on the character as well. Justice League didn't count imo because it was a direct Snyder lied sequel to BvS which was blasted by everyone. 

Ant-Man? Come on now. Ant Man's cut scene wasn't even close to Captain Marvel's in terms of importance/shock factor. The first woman hero movie from the MCU with a direct link to the cliffhanger Infinity War?! It played a part, no question.

My point still remains. Both movies were sandwiched between Infinity/Endgame. You “feeling” that her post credit scene had more impact still doesn’t explain the  discrepancy between Ant-Mans 2 and captain marvels grosses. It’s far to big to ignore. 

Aquaman was still a mediocre movie that did 1 billion despite DCEUs terrible track record of only one good movie. Captain Marvel would have done similar numbers with or without infinity war. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, John Harris said:

Richard Roeper gave Endgame 4/4 stars, and says Robert Downey deserves an Oscar nod; his performance is "great acting in a great film." Wow.

I would love to see Downey get an Oscar nom for Endgame, sort of as an all-encompassing nod to his complete body of work as Tony Stark, which has been consistently great and sometimes amazing.

Really can't wait to see this now! Only 6 hours to go!

I'd also be down with RDJ getting an Oscar nod as a "body of work as the character" nod...he brought the whole series to life at the beginning, and he made the character alive with no reference but a comic book - an Oscar nod to him can't be worse than rewarding another actor for playing a 5th version of Abraham Lincoln onscreen:)...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MadmenEndgame said:

Okay, so here is thw thing.. 

When CM was about to release everybody was saying it will be Marvel first flop.

Now, it has made money. Everybody is saying Endgame helped it. 

So desperate you all are. It is pathetic. 

Uh no not really. Many MANY people on here predicted a 200M+ opening. The lowest I think any non-troll was going was 130-140 or something.

Too many people have been trying to re-write history for CM. I ain’t letting that happen on this forum.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, MadmenEndgame said:

No. It was only a handfull of people (mostly trolls id guess) here who said it would maybe underperform and 98% of the forum told them why that woudnt happen.

And Endgame undoubtely helped Captain Marvels late legs. Do you really think it would have increased last weekend without Endgame coming out? CM is a very big success and Endgame helped it a bit in the end. Those two things are both true.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MadmenEndgame said:

So before this thread start to blow up.. I want to rank some of my favourite people in this thread. I am new here but I have been highly entertained by them. 

1. @CJohn

2. @MrPink

3. @Sam

4. @CoolEric258

5. @iHeartJames

My Most Valualble Poster campaign already off to an amazing start

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

1. Of course it’s helping, look at last weekend and this weeks numbers. It’ll continue to receive money from End Game showings throughout this weekend. 

2. Ant Man and Wasp came out after Infinity War was basically over box office wise. You didn’t have to rush to see AATW before IW to meet the characters. Captain Marvel was required reading. 

I didn’t say it wasn’t helping. Just that some of you are overstating HOW MUCH. Captain marvel would have done 1 billion on its own. 

2 hours ago, MadmenEndgame said:

Okay, this is some straight up bullshit right there. 

TFA wouldn't have open to 300M in Summer. 

It would have. December openings are deflated. Aquaman would have opened to 100 mil if it opened in the Summer too.

2 hours ago, HeadShot said:

So it’s just a coincidence that 3/4 Two billion grossers were December releases? It definitely would have made a difference. The casual audience that weren’t planning on going would have gotten swept away by the hype and watched it during the weekdays. By the time the 2nd weekend comes many of them won’t care as much. 

Except two of those films were going to be frontloaded in the first place. You know what? I'll rephrase what I said. December won't affect films based on a pre-existing IP.

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'd also be down with RDJ getting an Oscar nod as a "body of work as the character" nod...he brought the whole series to life at the beginning, and he made the character alive with no reference but a comic book - an Oscar nod to him can't be worse than rewarding another actor for playing a 5th version of Abraham Lincoln onscreen:)...

His career resurgence in the past decade, is largely due to the role of Tony Stark too. It's not likely, but it would be fitting if him to get an Oscar nom for the role. RDJ is basically the "jell" that makes these movies work, and if it weren't him and Feige, and the other talented people at Marvel Entertainment, we might not even have gotten to Infinity War or Endgame. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, MadmenEndgame said:

only a Sith deals in absolutes.

It was definitely helped by not just Endgame but the MCU as a whole. And yes it is very clearl its proximity to Endgame is giving it fabulous late legs. To deny this would be to deny that the MCU works as a concept. The ideal is that the movies synergize with each with each part contributing to the whole which then strengthens the individual parts via their connect to the whole.

So people who said CM would flop are just terrible at predicting movies or just were really hoping it would fail for one reason or another or are too dense to realize that no MCU movie can flop right now. If a movie were so bad it would there is no way Disney lets it release, it would at most get the Ant-Man 1 treatment where they have to go back to the drawing board on it.

In CM's case it was directly tie to IW and EG through post credit scenes. In IW it teased CM and in CM we saw her in Endgame post credits. To deny CM has greatly benefitted from EG is irrationally, just like predicting CM to "flop" was illogical. 

Edited by Birdo Mandingo
  • Like 1