sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

No, there have been several kids movies opening on this weekend in the past couple years. In terms of Saturday:

Alice 2 dropped 6.7% from Friday

Tomorrowland jumped 21.9%

Epic jumped 43.1%

That seems well-positioned for Aladdin, but the thing is that Alice is the only movie with standard previews like Aladdin. Tomorrowland had IMAX/PLF only previews, while Epic didn't even have midnights. I highly doubt Aladdin will buck the trend, unless WOM really kicks in.

To be fair, I'd expect Aladdin to have a better bump than the 10% of Alice 2 (from true Friday to Sat), simply because the WOM looks to be much better.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Menor said:

To be fair, I'd expect Aladdin to have a better bump than the 10% of Alice 2 (from true Friday to Sat), simply because the WOM looks to be much better.

People yelled at me the last time I brought up RT's Audience Score, but I think it has some use*.  Right now Aladdin is sitting at 92 positive (4.52/5) on the verified ticket metric with 594 responses.

* I personally think the pendulum on its value swung way too far from Total Reliability to Total Garbage, and the measures they've instituted are helping, I think.  It's still a self-selecting sample and thus of dubious value.  But dubious value does not equal NO value.

The mix of unverified/verified pool is sitting at 82% positive (4.1/10) with 2,023 responses.

That's pretty good, IMO.  Could be a early sign of satisfied audience members at the very least.

• Like 2

https://deadline.com/2019/05/aladdin-memorial-day-box-office-1202621906/

Disney’s Live-Action ‘Aladdin’ Looking At $95M+ In Memorial Day Riches – Midday Box Office Update

UPDATED, 1:17 PM: At this time we can tell you that Disney’s Aladdin is off to a healthy start at the domestic box office with a $28 million-$30 million Friday (including $7 million in Thursday’s previews). It is now expected to hit $80 million over three days and $95 million over the full four-day Memorial Day holiday weekend frame.

Edited by POTUS 2020
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

UPDATED, 1:17 PM: At this time we can tell you that Disney’s Aladdin is off to a healthy start at the domestic box office with a $28 million-$30 million Friday (including $7 million in Thursday’s previews). It is now expected to hit $80 million over three days and $95 million over the full four-day Memorial Day holiday weekend frame.

Some see the Guy Ritchie film besting Solo: A Star Wars Story‘s four-day Memorial Day start of $103M last year with a potential $104M gross, but this holiday is so wonky it is too soon to call it at that. There can be fall-off as people become distracted by holiday activities.

Regardless, it’s a better than anticipated start for Disney’s latest live-action remake, on which critics are divided but exit polls show audiences love. Aladdin is a brand that is fresher than Dumbo and hipper, being a fave of Gen X and Gen Y audiences.

We will have more box office updates later today.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, POTUS 2020 said:

Disney’s Live-Action ‘Aladdin’ Looking At $95M+ In Memorial Day Riches – Midday Box Office Update

@JB33  

giphy.gif

Gonna be a wild ride the next three days. :ph34r:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Here's hoping that Deadline doesn't over-predict for a second weekend in a row, though. 😕

I remember that brief moment when it looked like Wick 3 OW > 2x Wick 2 OW was possibly happening, only for it to come crashing down when more Fri numbers came in.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

Bookmark?

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

CTRL-D/CMD-D for Chrome.  Not sure about other browsers.

More seriously, nothing in the Deadline update for Booksmart if that's what you were asking for, sorry. :)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, a2k said:

Audience score imo has positive correlation with boxoffice legs more often than not. This looks like another https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bohemian_rhapsody if not TGS

58%

Average Rating: 5.85/10

Total Count: 216

Fresh: 126 

Rotten: 90

92%

AUDIENCE SCORE

Verified Ratings: 594

This "verified" thing is gonna be super useful on this site. I like that. A new tool.

• Like 2

After 3 weeks off the grid, I find out that all my clubs are flopping! :ohmygod:

EG won't make 3 billie, and Pika-Pika is floppa-floppa what is wrong with this world? which markets betrayed? 

anyway, fingers crossed Aladdin break out. I can't take another blow to my club ego. 

• Like 1