TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

Too many shows and the constant leaks and social media coverage is definitely creating a sense of fatigue even amongst the hardcore fans. As in people are getting tired of constantly hearing and talking about the MCU. This will be the 6th movie released in 12 months, plus at least 3 D+ shows. It's way too much content and when the quality is noticeably lower than before it feels like a chore.

I still haven't bought tickets for L&T, and neither has my brother, and we're the target audience that watches every episode on the day of release and every movie on OW. I'm still going to watch it next week, but after the disappointments of Hawkeye, NWH and MoM I'm more wary and concerned than I've been since Phase 2. 

Um, DS2 just made 410/950. T4 will do very, very well. 
Disagreements about quality are obviously valid. The idea that a drop in quality has shown in the marketplace seems pretty evidence-free. 
I’ve read that DS2 was a disappointment financially. Maybe a little. But is the argument that the sequel to a $232m movie should have made more than $410m-ish because of cameos/hype? If that argument is correct, that sounds like a pretty robust franchise. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

These shows need to go. They can do some, but come on, Armor Wars? Hawkeye? What If? 

Not only it's useless but also can get people exhausted of so many projects at once. 

If Thor ended up with just 130M or so OW i think it's time to Feige rethink these shows, because there's no reason for this to sell less tickets than Ragnarok.

With that said, i think some people is freaking out over nothing for Thor, presales are very good, they never was supposed to compete with DS2 which is the only way the numbers can look a bit disappointing. The key for this movie will be the final week like for all movies that isn't hype juggernauts like NWH / DS2. 

Those shows are innofensive, well I don't know Armor Wars because aka it does not exist.

What consequence can something like what if cause? it's basically just an animated show of things that will never happen,.. Let alone that the vast majority of the fans skipped because animated series are not popular in general. 

The people that watch the tv shows are the ones that will watch any MCU movie, the shows are not doing anything to the movies themselves, people cannot tell me that 50% of the people that watched Dr Strange even watched Wandavision.

The problem with the MCU as a relative non-fan who still sees all of them, is that they no longer seem to be building to anything. They are content for content's sake without purpose - not building to something coherent, but not allowed to be free enough to truly break out of the box, either. Thanos cameos may have been annoying at the time but they gave this entire franchise an ethos. A point to build towards. What happens once you literally get past the "Endgame"? Anything else was bound to be anticlimatic outside of the No Way Home stuff (and when they eventually bring in Hugh Jackman and Deadpool, tbh)

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The problem with the MCU as a relative non-fan who still sees all of them, is that they no longer seem to be building to anything. They are content for content's sake without purpose - not building to something coherent, but not allowed to be free enough to truly break out of the box, either. Thanos cameos may have been annoying at the time but they gave this entire franchise an ethos. A point to build towards. What happens once you literally get past the "Endgame"? Anything else was bound to be anticlimatic outside of the No Way Home stuff (and when they eventually bring in Hugh Jackman and Deadpool, tbh)

That’s understandable. 
As a consumer who once read 20 comic books a month, the genre does have a riddle. How do you top Thanos? With Galactus, Korvac, the Beyonder, etc. 

It’s the same problem as wrestling. Why do I care about a certain PPV if I know the belt isn’t getting dropped. 
Feige did say the big plot thread is about to be more clear. 

• Like 1

I guess my question is - is there gonna be like, more Avengers movies? Because even though I don't love what the MCU has done to movies, the "few films in a phase leading to big team up" was quite the business strategy! They should get back to doing that if they want to recapture the glory days. Now it just seems like random cameos in solo movies with no Avengers anymore. 

There's still a huge demand for MCU.

I mean, three MCU movies this year will bring in around 3 billion. That's with a new show every 3 months.

Disney would be foolish to leave money at the table by only releasing a couple movies and a couple of shows per year.

I think the secret of their success is variety.

The last 5 movies was a kung fu movie, a gloomy movie about deities, a nostalgia heavy flick, a horror type of movie and a hair metal comedy epic.

So even when one of these attempts get mixed results the next movie starts with a clean slate to a degree.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Better quality control for Feige, less dilution of the brand, thus movies and shows being more eventized. Seems like the big three.

2013 and 2008 says horse feathers. Both years had just two MCU films and…well, Incredible Hulk wasn’t exactly the crowd pleaser home run like IM1 was. 2013 you had IM3 which I’m a fan of but it had ok reviews and Thor 2…well, that’s the one Endgame basically lampshade dumped on. 

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I guess my question is - is there gonna be like, more Avengers movies? Because even though I don't love what the MCU has done to movies, the "few films in a phase leading to big team up" was quite the business strategy! They should get back to doing that if they want to recapture the glory days. Now it just seems like random cameos in solo movies with no Avengers anymore. 

It seems like yes and no. 
More Avengers movies with a main team, but also variations like Young Avengers or Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts. 
Some of that could be D+

23 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

As a fan, I've taken to just waiting to see them if my kids aren't interested.  Since nothing is building, I don't mind being spoiled to singular movie stuff.

I've still got Eternals and Dr Strange on my watch list (so I'm 2 behind).  Thor will make it 3, unless my youngest does choose Thor (he's on the fence with the Minions, Thor, and Superpets for his July movie choice)...and I'm not worried if I see Thor without the other 2, b/c nothing's building...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric the Minion said:

It's weird people blame Chapek for all this, when Iger was the guy who started the domino effect. He was the guy who wanted to make a Disney streaming service. He was the guy who wanted a bajillion Marvel shows. He was the guy who forced Papa Feige to put out 5 shows and 4 movies a year. He's the guy who basically stretched Feige thin when it comes to quality control, since 5 shows and 4 movies in one year, all coming out week after week, meant there was going to be issues with overseeing everything. He was the guy who made a service that makes people wait until it's home to save money.

Obvs Chapek is not helping things, but Iger was the guy who made Disney movies no longer special in theaters and diluted their golden goose. Just sayin'.

Iger gets a pass because he did acquire Pixar, Marvel and Lucas films and Disney animation was revived big time as well. Plus that strategy was done at a point when Netflix marketcap went above Disney and there was an incentive for Disney to capture a big piece of that growing streaming pie. One hit against Iger is he bailed out at the worst time(start of the pandemic). Chapek's decision to dilute the Pixar brand in keeping it direct to streaming even when theaters were out, habit of pushing theatrical movies to streaming as early as possible and i feel the wrong approach in making too many of the good things. 

Scarcity brings anticipation beyond the fanbase. There is absolutely no doubt. Disney used to do that themselves previously in moving older movies to "vault". I am sure whatever SW movie Disney makes next wont have anywhere in the ballpark of TFA as we are having so much content these days. So Studio will resort to even more gimmicks to build anticipation. Let us see how long that works. They are going to run out of ones that adds a big value for sure. 

On Thor I am seeing mid 20s 140-150m OW. That is still great as Ragnarok which as a story at least to be had bigger stakes plus had Thor/Hulk team up just opened low 120s. So the Marvel machine is working for now, but the impact will weaken for sure as they keep churning movie after movie. 

• Like 1

This discussion feels very premature.  Frankly there's zero evidence of a decline in box office performance, and negative evidence of a decline in interest.  We're, what, 6 months out from a movie that made 800M domestic?  The problem with MoM definitely wasn't interest or hype (which were off the charts), it was mixed reception.  So this idea that people are tuning out Marvel movies doesn't pass the sniff test.

I think we are seeing a decline in interest for the shows due to oversaturation.  Frankly the pace of the shows feels unsustainable, but there's no sign that this has affected interest in the movies.

As for reception, keep in mind that all of this is stemming from 2 movies. If L&T, BP2 Quantumania and The Marvels are all well liked all the people extrapolating out are going to look very silly.

My guess is that Marvel is loosening up with it's movies and giving directors more freedom, less oversight.  Whether that's intentional or a result of being overstretched it's hard to say.  Either way it's not like they can't can't course correct, if that is what's going on.

• Like 2

If film will end up with smaller than expected opening weekend I would put the most blame on Disney marketing departament. For some reason they decided to use this film as some sort of experiment and start the marketing campaign very late, the latest ever in history for Marvel film. And if you start so late you better come out with a banger of trailer, instead they put out two medicore trailers which failed to generate very big hype and bring long sustained attention to the film. 

Imo some of the late spots they put out sold this film better than either of trailers but it was and is kinda late to create bigger buzz. 

• Like 1

I agree with the sentiment that the MCU has gotten way too busy these days. Four movies a year already seemed a bit daunting, but now they also have to juggle multiple Disney+ shows per year? The MCU used to be fairly simple to keep up with, but now it seems like a homework assignment.