Eric is Quiet

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

You gotta go pretty far back to find a kid score that low for family movies, though...might even be prior to Wonder Park...

Kids give A's to almost everything (I have a kid that literally only grades between A- and A+), since they enjoy the movie going/popcorn/fun experience so much the movie sometimes is secondary:)...

But he was saying all day long that kids HATE this movie. Giving the movie a 4 out of 5 doesn't indicate anything close to hate. Hence, that revised Postrak score disproved his argument.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

TLK will make 600M whether it opens with 200M or slightly below. It won't have worse legs then Incredibles 2. Also, don't know where people get bad WOM. As soon as the movie started to be seen, IMDB jumped from 5 to 7. 

Internal multi is already looking worse than Incredibles 2. Could miss 600 mil.

1 minute ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

I2 and Dory both faced serious and direct competition in their early weeks. The Lion King won't have such problems, and July weekdays are stronger than June ones too.

BATB did 2.87x opening in March. I'd say 3x is locked for TLK, 3.3-3.5x is perfectly reasonable and 3.7x is not entirely out of the realm of possibilities. This meas a domestic range of $600-700M

The spoiler-free (ish) nature of it could be deflating the OW which will in turn result in a higher multi, so I kind of agree.  GA doesn't feel the need to rush out, and the 23M previews were inflated a bit by fandom rush.  That's my guess anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

Aladdin (2019) and spectacular, two phrases that should never go together

I enjoyed Aladdin more than any movie in my life and I've seen at least 1000+ films.  I would think you value diversity of OPINIONS.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Internal multi is already looking worse than Incredibles 2. Could miss 600 mil.

You mean where it's the #2 movie like everywhere this year except Asia (will only do 115m in China (Aladdin did 53)

Saw this and thought it was pretty good. Some of the musical #s were better in the original (didn't think some of the singing voices were particularly strong). But it seems like a really weird movie to stan for or hate. It's just... there

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

I enjoyed Aladdin more than any movie in my life and I've seen at least 1000+ films. 

Really? I mean, I liked it and thought it was totally fun, but...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

That’s great for you.  I don’t care and I’m confused and baffled by this take, but that’s great for you.

Your in the minority when compared to the 94% audience score. Take a hike

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

While TLK 2019 looks to be a mega blockbuster, it will still be a soul less cash grab. 

I have no interest in this rehash even though I'm a huge fan of 1994 version. Watched the original 6 times in the theater in 1994. 

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

You mean where it's the #2 movie like everywhere this year except Asia (will only do 115m in China (Aladdin did 53)

Doesn't change what I said. Will still be the number two movie of the year DOM until TROS comes out (and I expect the same in most countries outside of Asia).

Also the movie won't be #2 in Latin America. Will be either Toy Story 4 or Captain Marvel.

Edited by lorddemaxus

On 7/18/2019 at 2:55 PM, captainwondyful said:

218y9u.png

And if the Thread gets locked, Auto Bingo Win!

4 minutes ago, jb007 said:

While TLK 2019 looks to be a mega blockbuster, it will still be a soul less cash grab. 

I have no interest in this rehash even though I'm a huge fan of 1994 version. Watched the original 6 times in the theater in 1994. 

Soulless cash grab was missed on the bingo card

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DAR said:

Soulless cash grab was missed on the bingo card

I enjoyed Aladdin over the 1000 plus movies I've seen is substituting the Aladdin RT square for me.

Anybody who tells me that doesn't count can take a hike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lack of competition does not drive a movie to extraordinary high if the movie does not show break-out potential after initial hype wanes. TLK can do 500-550M, but that figure already "price in" lack of competition, nostalgia, initial hype etc etc. WOM is decent but not great. It won't do more than 550M dom.

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I enjoyed Aladdin over the 1000 plus movies I've seen is substituting the Aladdin RT square for me.

Anybody who tells me that doesn't count can take a hike

Ruined childhood then?

1 minute ago, justvision said:

Lack of competition does not drive a movie to extraordinary high if the movie does not show break-out potential after initial hype wanes. TLK can do 500-550M, but that figure already "price in" lack of competition, nostalgia, initial hype etc etc. WOM is decent but not great. It won't do more than 550M dom.

Calling for legs weak enough that TDK remains the highest grossing July release domestically @MrPink

• Like 2