Alli

The Last Duel - Ridley Scott, Matt Damon & Adam Driver | October 15, 2021

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Maximus is dead. I really hope they don't try to cheapen it with some "he only fainted" BS. The ending was powerful because it didn't pull any punches. 

That's correct, but if you remember there was a far crazier version than "he only fainted" back in 2006 or 2009, Clash Of Titans type of sequel where Roman Gods resurrected Maximus so he could help them stop Christianity from spreading so they could regain their power and adult Lucius was a main antagonist as an evil emperor. It was written by Nick Cave, both Russell and Ridley wanted this sequel, Ridley still wanted it back in 2017, but looks we are going to get much more boring version. Gladiator doesn't need is a sequel at all, but if they want to cheapen the original so much, I think they should do it in less boring way than making adult Lucius a protagonist.

1 hour ago, Val357 said:

Ridley is actually doing Gladiator 2???

How is that supposed to work?

He does, he said a week ago he's going to start principal photography by the end of next year, right after he's done with Napoleon. It's gonna be about adult Lucius and it's gonna take place 25-30 years after the original, but that's all the available information.

Edited by Firepower

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I'm almost 100% sure they'll cast a star, unless Russell somehow returns. Probably Chris Hemsworth, but he's pretty busy, so we'll see.

Yeah, very unlikely they'll cast the other guy. Which is kind of a bummer to me. 

Reminds me of when the daughter in Independence Day was recast for the sequel (with someone who looks nothing like the other girl) even though that girl was still acting, even in starring roles (The Duff). 

Lol I'd be surprised if Gladiator 2 ever happens, Scott is notorious for juggling a bunch of projects at once that he never makes.

With that said, I do hope Scott sticks to scifi or historical epics because hes had quite a lot of success in those areas in recent years with The Martian, Raised by Wolves, and now The Last Duel and probably Napoleon.

And by historical epic I don't mean things like Robin Hood or Exodus.  I want unrestrained gnarly Ridley Scott.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Didn't it debut on Rotten Tomatoes in the mid-50s? The Venice premiere really wasn't the publicity boon they'd hoped for (except for the Bennifer pics, those were great). It's a tough sell anyway and weeks of glowing reviews instead of a late rush might have helped.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

I am actually pleasantly surprised. Yes, definitely Ridley's finest film since "Black Hawk Down". It has it's flaws, and I can go on and on about them, but the overall product is rather unexpected. Other Scott's films that I've enjoyed since BHD are: "All the Money in the World", "American Gangster" and "Prometheus" (I know everybody hates it, but back in 2012 I've seen it 3-4 times).

1 hour ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

"Prometheus" (I know everybody hates it).

What are you talking about, it got 7 on imdb (higher than all other Alien sequels after Aliens and even Predator sequels) and RT/metacritic are positive too. It was just cool to hate it among fanboys, but then Covenant came out and took that crown.

Loved it. Brutal film. Proof that the only filmmakers making actual movies for adults within the studio system today have been doing it for decades. And this looks like it was made for 10x the budget of the other Jodie Comer Fox movie that released this year. One thing that stood out to me is the movie's suggestion about how a woman's rape is turned into entertainment for the masses (which works on a meta-level).

And I definitely didn't expect horse-fucking lol.

• Like 2

I wonder if we can just get a couple of million grown adults to get up off the sofa and go see this thing this weekend. There has to be at least that many seeing the ads and thinking it looks like their kind of movie.  

Leave your house and go and see something that’s not for children, just this once!! You might like it! 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I wonder if we can just get a couple of million grown adults to get up off the sofa and go see this thing this weekend. There has to be at least that many seeing the ads and thinking it looks like their kind of movie.  

Leave your house and go and see something that’s not for children, just this once!! You might like it! 

Couple of millions would be like 20M+, so we definitely cannot