sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

We might perceive this differently, but every time I see one of these live action remakes, I think of "what could have been..."

Those "10 Lion kings" with huge  promotional budget could have been enough money to make and promote 15 Epic Sci-fi or Fantasy blockbusters, there are many books out there to adapt, as well as original scripts waiting to be picked up. 

John Carter & Tomorrowland say hi. 

That said I'd love to see films made from novels by Ursula K. Le Guin, John Crowley, Patricia McKillip, Terry Pratchet, Connie Willis, Tad Williams, Guy Gavriel Kay, China Miéville, Gene Wolf, Jasper Fforde etc etc instead of another remake of Dune or Amazon redoing LOTR.    On a smaller scale, I'd also love to get a Regency Romance by Georgette Heyer or Mary Balogh  instead of the 20th remake of a Jane Austen novel - even on streaming or VOD.

• Like 6

https://deadline.com/2019/07/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-quentin-tarantino-box-office-lion-king-weekend-1202654606/

FRIDAY Midday: Disney The Lion King is taking a bigger hit than was originally expected at this point in time with $77M-$78.5M, -60% after a second Friday of $23M, -70% from a week ago. Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is currently besting its low $30M tracking with $40M and a $16.5M Friday that includes last night’s $5.8M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

https://deadline.com/2019/07/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-quentin-tarantino-box-office-lion-king-weekend-1202654606/

FRIDAY Midday: Disney The Lion King is taking a bigger hit than was originally expected at this point in time with $77M-$78.5M, -60% after a second Friday of $23M, -70% from a week ago. Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is currently besting its low $30M tracking with $40M and a $16.5M Friday that includes last night’s $5.8M.

DeadCinema.jpg

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

When faced with the choice between safe nostalgia entertainment vs. atrocious original films, the audiences will choose one over the other.

but once upon a time, visionary filmmakers used to have the ability and resource to consistently make great films the audiences didn't even know they wanted or needed, in fact, those were the films that drove the industry to where it is today. 

Yeah, that's true. The point I guess was not what Disney is doing doesn't make financial sense for themselves, but it's just that this is a sad situation that we're currently in. 

Audiences really should encourage themselves to be less risk averse, there was a time when the industry isn't so nostalgia driven, so audience driven, when new properties can succeed left and right.

That's all down to movie going habits of the audience though and it's a trend you can't stop. Sure, back when people saw movies every week or more, they were likely to take a chance on an unknown title cause even if it sucked, they were probably going to see another movie in a few days anyways. Movie going now is more of an event you take your friends and family to and you don't really want to spend upwards of $30 to watch something you don't have strong confidence in. I imagine a lot of people do discover new and original stuff on Netflix though.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

John Carter & Tomorrowland say hi. 

That said I'd love to see films made from novels by Ursula K. Le Guin, John Crowley, Patricia McKillip, Terry Pratchet, Connie Willis, Tad Williams, Guy Gavriel Kay, China Miéville, Gene Wolf, Jasper Fforde etc etc instead of another remake of Dune or Amazon redoing LOTR.    On a smaller scale, I'd also love to get a Regency Romance by Georgette Heyer or Mary Balogh  instead of the 20th remake of a Jane Austen novel - even on streaming or VOD.

There's tons of great books that are ripe for film adaptation that are going to TV instead. Big Little Lies absolutely did not need to be a TV show. In the 90's, it would've been a 2 hour feature film with the same level of star power. Celeste Ng's Little Fires Everywhere also probably should be a movie not a show, which they're doing on HBO I think. Most of these books being adapted into TV series really don't have the length to warrant 7-10 episodes.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

$40M and a $16.5M Friday that includes last night’s $5.8M.

16.5M friday with a 5.8 thursday sound low (2.844 multi).

JW 3: 22.6 from a 5.9M (3.837),

50 shades darker 18.4 from a 5.72M start (3.287),

Dunkirk 19.736 from a 5.5m start (4.285x multi),

Equalizer 2 (13.376 from a 3.1m start, 4.315x multi),

Mission Impossible fallout, 3.801.

4PM will do that but the example above were either franchise sequel or Nolan having a bit of a similar rush factor from fan, seem that like the thursday numbers this is getting played really safe by the pundits.

Funny how everyone seems to have a hard on while saying OUAIH is oh so original while

visually

the movie has absolutely no original bone in its body, none.

It is a perfect reproduction of those times, not even an interpretation, a Xerox copy that creates nothing new or exciting.

Saying this movie is unexciting visually is the understatment of the year, it is safe, boring and comfortable.

An insult to human imagination and ingenuity.

It is just QT's weird, anal fetishism and nostalgia of the past.

By the way :

QT s nostalgia : Goooooood, bold, creative, visionary : for the elites with delicate palate and Phds, lovers of fine cigars and brandy.

Disney s nostalgia : Baaaaaaaaad, corporate soulless cashgrabs : for the Joes & Janes  of the world working  lame 9 to 5 jobs you have to put on with on a daily basis.

Divided we Fall.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Saw Lion King and Aladdin this week.

Lion King was fine for what it was.

Aladdin, though...wow. WOW. Now I get why this movie is so damn leggy. What a ride. Tickles your Aladdin nostalgia while doing enough to stand on its own. Supremely entertaining, especially the dancing. Hate to say it, but that 1 billon is earned.

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

4PM will do that but the example above were either franchise sequel or Nolan having a bit of a similar rush factor from fan, seem that like the thursday numbers this is getting played really safe by the pundits.

King of the Monsters also started at 4PM and had a very similar preview # (6.3M) and it did about 3.092

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

That's all down to movie going habits of the audience though and it's a trend you can't stop. Sure, back when people saw movies every week or more, they were likely to take a chance on an unknown title cause even if it sucked, they were probably going to see another movie in a few days anyways. Movie going now is more of an event you take your friends and family to and you don't really want to spend upwards of $30 to watch something you don't have strong confidence in. I imagine a lot of people do discover new and original stuff on Netflix though.

Tiered pricing.

I pay vastly different tiers of prices when I go see a big expensive production on Broadway vs  a smaller n Off Broadway or even Off Off Broadway production.    It should be the same for movies.  Yes the seats and venue are mostly the same for movies (except smaller screening rooms often have lesser amenities)  but the cost and availability of the product isn't.     It's time has come and studios are being self defeating as streaming services continue to undercut them offering similar product or the same product 3 months later.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yeah, I do find it a little off putting that amidst this renewed interesting in Sci-Fi and Fantasy in TV, the materials that they choose to adapt or write (in LOTR's case) are still well known and safe, Dune, Foundation, LOTR, His Dark Material and WOT. But I'm still quite excited to see these, it's a change from what's currently dominating in Cinema.

On the other side, there are adaptations of Broken Earth series, Kingkiller chronicles, Luna New Moon, Lazarus, in addition to Culture Series and Hyperion, maybe even The Three-body Problem, which are either newer stuff or slightly lesser well known. 

Edited by NCsoft

The fan rush for Hollywood is showing as is the lack of huge legs incoming for Lion King. 

Under 80m is lower than I had hoped earlier in the week but reality when faced with that Thursday number. Seems like my comment about Tuesdays number capping the high for the weekend was right. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It is getting extremely squeezed at small and midsize theaters...since TLK got to keep so many empty screens and showings (and every large screen) at these theaters, OUATIH is getting like 40-60 seat showings on only 1-2 screens at most of these places...that's a recipe for not really having a great Friday multiplier, especially when you add in the 4pm availability yesterday...

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Funny how everyone seems to have a hard on while saying OUAIH is oh so original while

visually

the movie has absolutely no original bone in its body, none.

It is a perfect reproduction of those times, not even an interpretation, a Xerox copy that creates nothing new or exciting.

Saying this movie is unexciting visually is the understatment of the year, it is safe, boring and comfortable.

An insult to human imagination and ingenuity.

It is just QT's weird, anal fetishism and nostalgia of the past.

By the way :

QT s nostalgia : Goooooood, bold, creative, visionary : for the elites with delicate palate and Phds, lovers of fine cigars and brandy.

Disney s nostalgia : Baaaaaaaaad, corporate soulless cashgrabs : for the Joes & Janes  of the world working  lame 9 to 5 jobs you have to put on with on a daily basis.

Divided we Fall.

this is also a xerox copy of 150 posts you've made in the last week. we get it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3