grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

21 minutes ago, AJG said:

Any old people here?

How long did people wait before realising the Matrix sequels sucked? Was it like the Phantom Menace or was it instantaneous?

With Reloaded, it was when people were walking out of the theater after that "cliffhanger" which required you to look at the screen upside-down to make sense of what was going on. The excitement before Reloaded was unlike anything since maybe T2 where a smaller movie becomes a much bigger deal as time goes by and the sequel explodes. 

The meandering first act, and pointless side quests were all forgivable till we got to the Architect scene which remains one of the most perplexing choices considering how well the first movie did the exact same exposition dump scene with Morpheus. Of course, the actual answer is simpler - "cave orgy"

There will be people and critics trying to reclaim Reloaded as a misunderstood classic in December, they should remember 2003 and not do so.

Slight spoiler for Resurrections:

Spoiler

They fix all the issues from Reloaded. There's a lot of good decisions made here which are direct responses to Reloaded.

• Like 4

I was in my late-teens when Reloaded came out and I saw the first showing with my aunty. The cave orgy and cake orgasm scenes made me regret that decision lol. I ended up seeing it four times in theatres since I had a card to use up six showings, think I used the other two on X2. The Chateau and Freeway scenes were the obvious highlights, but yeah, the Architect scene was particularly baffling and parodied a lot.

Agreed that it was a fairly immediate reaction to them not living up to the first one, even though I liked a lot about Reloaded myself. Wasn't a fan at all of Revolutions though, even having done a rewatch for it last year for the first time since it released.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Ya'll are bugging. Reloaded was and is still awesome

I fully remember thinking Matrix Reloaded was the absolute height of technology as a kid. Between Reloaded, Final Fantasy The Spirits Within, and Disney’s Dinosaur, I couldn’t imagine films would ever look better.

pESDUiw.gif?noredirect

27 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Anyone in the know, feel free to DM me details about the film. It sounds very interesting, even though I'm not the biggest fan of the original (haven't seen the sequels). This one could convince me.

i would whole heartedly recommend you watch the three back to back. You’ll be surprised at the direction it all goes in, and glad it not have been spoiled…trust me. The last act of Reloaded is an all-timer of a “wtf!!”

9 minutes ago, AJG said:

I fully remember thinking Matrix Reloaded was the absolute height of technology as a kid. Between Reloaded, Final Fantasy The Spirits Within, and Disney’s Dinosaur, I couldn’t imagine films would ever look better.

pESDUiw.gif?noredirect

The final Matrix Reloaded trailer I still consider (alongside the teaser for Phantom Menace) the best trailer ever made. 

35 minutes ago, grim22 said:

With Reloaded, it was when people were walking out of the theater after that "cliffhanger" which required you to look at the screen upside-down to make sense of what was going on. The excitement before Reloaded was unlike anything since maybe T2 where a smaller movie becomes a much bigger deal as time goes by and the sequel explodes. 

The meandering first act, and pointless side quests were all forgivable till we got to the Architect scene which remains one of the most perplexing choices considering how well the first movie did the exact same exposition dump scene with Morpheus. Of course, the actual answer is simpler - "cave orgy"

There will be people and critics trying to reclaim Reloaded as a misunderstood classic in December, they should remember 2003 and not do so.

Reveal hidden contents

there have already been plenty of articles over the years defending the sequels.

I liked the sequels when they came out, although admittedly they’re a big step down from the heights of the first which is just a masterpiece of action cinema. It literally doesn’t put a foot wrong, and living up to that was always going to be a tall order. 

I rewatched them all last year and the sequels help up surprisingly well for me when viewed over three consecutive nights. 

2003 was just Matrix mania though between the sequels, The Animatrix and the Enter the Matrix video game. They really did a great job creating hype for those films.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Matrix Reloaded was insanely hyped and would have defeated Spiker-Man $114m record had it opened on a Friday instead of Thursday- and that is with an R rating.

Spider-Man really lucked out until Dead Man's Chest. Reloaded, Shrek 2, Spider-Man 2, and ROTS all would have crushed the record with Friday openings. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Matrix Reloaded was insanely hyped and would have defeated Spiker-Man $114m record had it opened on a Friday instead of Thursday- and that is with an R rating.

Can you imagine how much it would have made if it would have been a universally acclaimed sequel?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The only problem with Revolutions is that the Zion battle is just way too long. Feels more like an extended last act than a movie.

I forget who it was, maybe Bill Simmons, had an amazing joke about how they kept cutting back to just endless shots of a guy screaming with a machine gun in the Zion battle. I'll have to find it.

Enter the Matrix was one of my favorite games as a kid, no lie. That shit was nice.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The only problem with Revolutions is that the Zion battle is just way too long. Feels more like an extended last act than a movie.

More that we don't care about the characters on Zion. They never got established enough for us to care that they will die, in addition to the fact that Zion itself wasn't thought out well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

More that we don't care about the characters on Zion. They never got established enough for us to care that they will die, in addition to the fact that Zion itself wasn't thought out well.

Frankly, I was never that invested in any of the characters, even Neo, Trinity, and Morpheus. To me it was the biggest weakness of these movies. The action scenes were nice and the worldbuilding intriguing, but it's hard to stay engaged when I just don't care much what happens to these people. 

All the problems with Revolutions are eliminated from Ressurrections so i'm confident (considering the leaked plot)

Reloaded is actually pretty good, i think people hate it only because it's directed linked with Revolutions which brings everything down. But Reloaded have Very good concepts, questions, action scenes and mitology, despite a few problems.

I'm not expecting anything close to the first movie because some classics You can't replicate. But i'm expecting a movie around Reloaded on quality and i'll be happy with this.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

They fix all the issues from Reloaded. There's a lot of good decisions made here which are direct responses to Reloaded.

I thought it was a lot closer to RELOADED’s brand of pacing and exposition than the original’s.