grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

36 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I think GA will enjoy it, there is something for everyone, and the action is fantastic, it actually made me realise just how bad/non-existent really fantastic action pieces have been lately in big movies (read: marvel).

As far as critics go? Who knows? Who cares?

Happy to read this about the action. I saw a clip of the Dojo scene and the number of poorly timed cuts there worried me a little.

4 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Saw it tonight. I really enjoyed it for the most part. I feel like it's actually closer to the original film than the sequels were in terms of how it felt.

How important is it to see the sequels before this? I assume a GA can follow along just fine either way, but how about the ones who wanna truly dig into what's going on.

This is my NWH tbh, seriously looking forward to this nostalgia rush and it'll be even better if it doesn't suck lol. I always like to keep my expectations in check but even more so with something being tackled 20 years on from a series that had a final ending. Finally got to see the first trailer at IMAX last week and good lord it looks and sounds spectacular there, makes me even more hyped, and I've already watched the trailer on my TV entirely too many times.

It's a pity they don't appear to be doing screenings of the trilogy locally, but I really should watch my 4K discs anyway, so I'll have to get onto that shortly. Plus I caught the 20 year anniversary screening of the first one in theatres in 2019 so it was cool to see it in cinemas again. An IMAX screening wouldn't have gone amiss, but ya know, NWH. 😑

Bummed that the FYC score is down, I'll have to turn my laptop on to find some links and download it since I can't do it on my work laptop (boo!). Will just have to listen to this for now: 

At least WB is better at releasing scores on CD unlike Marvel, will most likely pick that up once it becomes available.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Lucas said:

How important is it to see the sequels before this? I assume a GA can follow along just fine either way, but how about the ones who wanna truly dig into what's going on.

So if you haven't seen the sequels it doesn't actually matter for the broad strokes. I think you HAVE to have seen the original movie though if you really want to fully appreciate this one, there are loads of segments/points that will go over every one who hasn't seen the originals head, less so for the sequels.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

So if you haven't seen the sequels it doesn't actually matter for the broad strokes. I think you HAVE to have seen the original movie though if you really want to fully appreciate this one, there are loads of segments/points that will go over every one who hasn't seen the originals head, less so for the sequels.

Thanks for this, my girlfriend loves the original movie but has never watched the sequels due to their reputation. Good to know that she doesn’t necessarily need to have seen them to understand Resurrections.

47 minutes ago, jking123 said:

is this movie gonna be a bomb? 

R rated(?) , afternthe sot hyped movie of the year or well past 2 half years.At xmas time all while its available on streaming day and date with 150+ million budget?

It's gonna be tough to say. Dune still made $100 million despite being on HBO Max. Whatever it's box office prospects were went out the door with the hybrid release. It could make $40M or $100 million and either way could still be seen as a success depending on how it performs on HBO Max. I agree if they would have pushed it back to March/April and gone full theatrical it probably would have at least had a big opening. Spider-Man is the movie of the year in terms of audience hype and box office potential, and despite different MPAA ratings there is a significant audience overlap here. 

Who knows, maybe No Way Home sellouts end up helping Matrix out.

This should be to Spider-Man: No Way Home what Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle was to Star Wars: The Last Jedi but sadly the market clearly isn't ready for that level of business (and there's the HBO Max issue to boot).

I'll definitely be in theatres on the 22nd for this! Sing 2 will probably be my Boxing Day movie. Maybe the other way around, IDK.

12 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Thanks for this, my girlfriend loves the original movie but has never watched the sequels due to their reputation. Good to know that she doesn’t necessarily need to have seen them to understand Resurrections.

Please educate your partner to not judge a film until she sees it, herself.  

I am not advocating for the Matrix sequels, I am merely advocating to interrogate films yourself, don't let 'popular consensus' decide for you.

The above is also not a condemnation of competent film critics -- although I do feel that they are much harder to find these days.  

15 hours ago, Macleod said:

Please educate your partner to not judge a film until she sees it, herself.  

I am not advocating for the Matrix sequels, I am merely advocating to interrogate films yourself, don't let 'popular consensus' decide for you.

The above is also not a condemnation of competent film critics -- although I do feel that they are much harder to find these days.  

Honestly, while I agree with your sentiment, I totally understand why she’s not fussed about watching Reloaded/Revolutions, they’re undeniably a gigantic step down from the original, and to her, that’s 4-5 hours of her life that she won’t get back. It’s not so much that she’s paying too much attention to critics or the popular consensus, rather that she’s heard what they’re about in terms of story (I’ve told her), and she has no interest in them. 

While I don’t mind the sequels, I’d rather not put her off Resurrections (which she likes the look of) by subjecting her to two arguably sub par films.

• Like 1