Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

And again you ignore data.... BVS cannot be compatible as a weekend look due to opening with Good Friday which massively skews the behavior for films even with good word of mouth. 

Its not dropping 28% on Sunday. Sorry man but you are flat wrong. 

Edit, not saying BvS can be a bad comp past the weekend, but you have to understand how that weekend works to understand its behavior (esp Saturday falls which happen every year.)

No point of explaining him. He is doing this every hour after every update. 

Just now, narniadis said:

And again you ignore data.... BVS cannot be compatible as a weekend look due to opening with Good Friday which massively skews the behavior for films even with good word of mouth. 

Its not dropping 28% on Sunday. Sorry man but you are flat wrong. 

i didn't use bvs for my calculations, just pointing out that it's the only other big movie that did as badly as tros is doing. i find it funny that you keep saying i'm ignoring data when i literally am using data only to get these numbers. if i was making up what i wanted the weekend to be it would be below rogue one lol.

40 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Has a director wanting to subvert expectations for the sake of it ever worked with these big franchise films? 

Actually yes. The #1 movie in history was the culmination of a 4 movie big franchise run by a directing duo who like to subvert expectations for the sake of it. They’re just able to recognize exactly when and how that can be made to work.

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

AOU increased in many Asian markets. 

Yes, Chinas most significantly though as conversation brings up repeatedly. Overall there was a nice shift in that 3 year spread in the Asian markets overall which helped offset a series of downturns in other markets (for most films, not just AOU). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, water said:

i didn't use bvs for my calculations, just pointing out that it's the only other big movie that did as badly as tros is doing. i find it funny that you keep saying i'm ignoring data when i literally am using data only to get these numbers. if i was making up what i wanted the weekend to be it would be below rogue one lol.

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

• Thanks 1

I'd say for rhe GA Ultron and TLJ probably had similar reception (good film if maybe a step down from the previous) but Infinity War had an advantage of Phase 3 in between and those characters coming. TROS as we can confirm struggled with finding another hook other than "it's another Episode film"

• Like 1

Star Wars has a big issue in that the fan base is getting older yet they aren’t attracting younger audience 

the nostalgia of sky walker, darth vadar etc is gone now 

Kids growing up obsessed with marvel 

this is too me is just the start of big decline for start 

• Like 3

IW is the exact right piece of how to please and challenge fans concurrently. Every hero gave their best to stop yet failed in a spectacular fashion without excessive comical moment that kill the tone.

Whereas TLJ just challenge the fans' tolerance to mediocrity with this.

tenor.gif?itemid=10548768

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 3

The progression of audience reaction to this series is odd to me (although it was a mistake to dilute the series with these yearly spin-offs). TLJ is the second best movie in the entire series and TROS is messy and over-stuffed but still fine/entertaining. Comparatively, MCU's novelty wore out for me circa 2013. GP is funny sometimes. 

12 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yes, Chinas most significantly though as conversation brings up repeatedly. Overall there was a nice shift in that 3 year spread in the Asian markets overall which helped offset a series of downturns in other markets (for most films, not just AOU). 

Also Avengers released in 3D peak while Ultron was when 3D started dying so even US Drop might be slightly better.

• Like 2

This skywalker finale oddly doesn't feel like an event film. With IW & EG those felt like event movies you HAD to go see. It felt like everyone was talking about those films. You would think the finale to the most iconic star wars family would break the OW record. I can't believe how much this was fumbled here.

• Like 4

Of course AOU’s hate wasn’t as intense as TLJ.

Most people disliked AOU just because it’s kinda different from the tone they promised from the trailer , Good story but poor directing with only few good moments and the main villain itself , Ultron who was less memorable and menacing than Loki. It felt like a letdown for one of if not the most anticipated movie that year. The Avengers being a great team up movie also upping people’s expectation which it couldn’t meet cause it just a good movie.. nothing else. 

While With TLJ , people hated it because it really trying to outdo the sky walker saga and kinda ignored the last 7 movies. TLJ tried to make a new story about it which apparently wasn’t taken kindly by its fans. The portrait of Luke and Its stupid twist also killed the movie and the saga. Plus the Star Wars fans themselves who you know very “brutal”. The divisiveness level also out of this world with this one.

in conclusion, AOU’s fault is that it couldn’t meet the expectation while TLJ’s is that it trying to ignore the greatness of what the long last saga has done and replace with a new one.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

yeah no surprise he would be happy he crippled a major franchise for shits and giggles

He made a high acclaimed movie without remake the older movies and left enough for a great conclusion.

LucasFilm choose to follow the safe way, JJ made a basic movie that got bad reviews with critics and have the worst cinemascore of the franchise with audiences and Rian is the one to blame? LOL

If he directed IX maybe it will drop anyway on box office, but at least the franchise will not end with such a coward finale that try so desperate to please and fail. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1