Eric Quinn

Weekend Thread: SW 26.2/25.3/21 72.5M | Jumanji 11.7/12.4/11 35.1M | Frozen 6/5.85/5.3 17.15M

15 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

If we think a little, we can find a lot of similarities between Justice League and TROS's run:

1. Both movies were sequels to badly received movies.

2. Both movies got bad reviews from critic.

3. Both movies had biased fans claiming they would have MUCH better WOM than the previous movie, because it wasn't 'dark/complex'. At the end of day, WOM was almost equal.

4. Both movies suffered a huge drop from its predecessor.

5. Both movies that, were once seen as an Event of a generation ended as a wimpier.

Let's see if the SW brand can recover from it like DCU did with Aquaman.

Although, I really, REALLY doubt SW will be ever able to produce a product that has such a huge OS appeal like AQMN, lmfao.

Oh, and in both cases we had Deadline embarrassing themself, trying to convince us that both movies were doing fine, but I'm not including this since Deadline is always an embarrassing.

the rock clapping GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

What's worse? A little spin or overreacting to things?

BOT's overreacting is really out of this world. Smaller second weekend than expected, yet probably still bigger than TLJ's -> "iT wOn'T eVeN rEaCh oNe BiLlIoN"

• ...wtf 1

Just now, RockyMountain said:

It really isn't that great of a movie. It hitting a billion is fine. If it was a great movie that was getting great reviews it would definitely be disappointing but most everyone is just ready to move on from the ST after TROS.

The Last Jedi had great reviews and still made 700mil less than The Force Awakens. Great reviews won't save a film if enough people don't like it. A film being great is in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Menor said:

Scott Mendelson thinks that TROS has a "decent chance" of topping TLJ domestically.

He might be the worst box office guy I’ve ever seen half of this forum can do his job much better and the other half can do way better. I mean really terrible 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Andreas said:

BOT's overreacting is really out of this world. Smaller second weekend than expected, yet probably still bigger than TLJ's -> "iT wOn'T eVeN rEaCh oNe BiLlIoN"

You guys are really starting to sound like Batman v Superman fans. "WB are totally happy with 873mil, they totally expected it to make that much!"

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The Last Jedi had great reviews and still made 700mil less than The Force Awakens. Great reviews won't save a film if enough people don't like it. A film being great is in the eye of the beholder.

You shouldn't compare things to TFA. It was an extreme outlier built on over a decade of people wanting another Star Wars movie in theaters and it turning out to be a very fun film to watch. 

3 minutes ago, Andreas said:

If it does 485 which Charlie said was a possibility and with the way it’s collapsing overseas under a billion is a possibility. But is 1.02 that much better for TLJ I mean really it’s still a major disappointment. A JL esque catastrophe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Andreas said:

high quality GIF

Plus given that TLJ had Christmas Eve on the Sunday, it really should have had a bigger second weekend than TLJ.

• Like 1

Scott Mendelson is a great guy. Comparing him to that hateful troll Grace Randolph is wrong. I enjoy his articles even when I don't agree with his box office write-ups. And I very much disagree with his Skywalker projection.

I think Skywalker will crack the billion mark but sorry if I fail to be impressed by that number for this particular project. If I should be impressed with that then why not be impressed with Batman v Superman making 873mil?

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You guys are really starting to sound like Batman v Superman fans. "WB are totally happy with 873mil, they totally expected it to make that much!"

Wait, so is TROS BVS or JL in this metaphor? Because they were different levels of disappointments.

11 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Higher than TLJ's second weekend because it had a holiday boost inflating its numbers? Meanwhile TLJ is going to steam far ahead of TROS in dailies starting Monday. 

I don't see any overreaction at all. This movie is heading for a dreadful 9th place finish among the 2019 top grossing movies worldwide.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Did I say that TROS' financial performance is a good one? Oh yeah, I probably did, or else you wouldn't assume, out of the blue, that I did, am I right? Scott thinking TROS might pass TLJ domestically is just as improbable as you thinking TROS won't pass $1B ww.

7 minutes ago, Menor said:

high quality GIF

Plus given that TLJ had Christmas Eve on the Sunday, it really should have had a bigger second weekend than TLJ.

$220M OW vs $177m OW. Should it though?