TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

5 minutes ago, Frozen said:

https://deadline.com/2020/02/birds-of-prey-weekend-box-office-margot-robbie-1202853768/

It’s not looking so spectacular for Warner Bros.’ Harley Quinn movie Birds of Prey which is seeing a Friday of $12.6M, and opening weekend around $33.5M.

Damn that's lower than what I was expecting and I was expecting low.

• Sad 1

I definitely think going with an R rating cut out quite a big chunk of that young teen audience that really like these films. Even though Joker was limited with R rating, it had Oscar buzz and a "must-see" factor going for it which probably enticed older audiences who were curious about it to go see it. The good reviews for this film probably could've helped it, but I guess it wasn't enough to get people on board. Too little, too late, I suppose. 

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

I definitely think going with an R rating cut out quite a big chunk of that young teen audience that really like these films. Even though Joker was limited with R rating, it had Oscar buzz and a "must-see" factor going for it which probably enticed older audiences who were curious about it to go see it. The good reviews for this film probably could've helped it, but I guess it wasn't enough to get people on board. Too little, too late, I suppose. 

Joker was quite clearly aimed at an adult, mature audience. The kind that went and saw The Dark Knight in their droves.

It does seem a bit bloody ridiculous to make a popcorn, glitzy, glitter cannon comic book flick aimed at young women an R in hindsight...

Edited by FunkMiller

30 minutes ago, kitik said:

2nd Update, Midday: It’s not looking so spectacular for Warner Bros.’ Harley Quinn movie Birds of Prey which is seeing a Friday of $12.6M, and opening weekend around $33.5M. Finance sources prefer to wait until overseas figures come in to determine whether this net $84.5M production is in the black (some argue with me that it’s much more). At $33.5M, Birds of Prey is under tracking’s $50M-$55M projection and under what Warners was hoping for, which was $45M.  We’ll give this DC Suicide Squad spinoff a chance to try and take off before we pluck its feathers in full, but I will say this: It’s a lazy R movie full of F bombs. It’s not edgy, ultraviolent and genre pushing like Deadpool, Logan, Joker, heck, even Watchmen. And by making this movie R, the studio has potentially sidelined the younger female skewing Harley Quinn fanbase (and there’s plenty from the cartoon series, not just Suicide Squad). Case in point: Last night teens made up a minority of moviegoers, yet loved the movie the most at 94%. Will they come out tonight? Will those great reviews and exit scores translate into bucks?

If you'd have told me last year that this movie was going this low, I'd have been flabbergasted...but here we are...

This movie missed from top to bottom somewhere...doesn't seem to be in quality, which is good enough even from those who don't like it...so, it must have missed literally everywhere else...

So not good for what should have been a gimme $54m+ OW (aka, Shazam as the floor)...