Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (14 Feb - 17 Feb) - Sonic 58M/70M

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh, Sonic just completely tanked in South Korea, opening day less than 10,000 admissions. From 1,500 showings. Although it’ll probably do well here in the UK, parents here take their kids to see anything. 

It's also half-term break this week so weekdays should be good. Didn't Dolittle open to like £5 mil or something too last weekend?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

Imagine a Gotham City Sirens movie :

Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn 

Lupita Nyong'o as Poison Ivy

Ana De Arams as Catwoman 

It will easily to 600m+ WW. WB make it happen. This time go for big talent. 

They already have a Catwoman cast

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

They probably will if the Flashpoint rumors are true (didn't Production Weekly confirm the Flashpoint rumor too?)

Ugh Flashpoint is not what a first Flash film needs. I think it'll honestly depend on Matt Reeves' use of the characters. He seems to have been given complete reign over that particular catalogue of characters. Not sure he'd be willing to share unless his trilogy was done. 

12 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Ugh Flashpoint is not what a first Flash film needs. I think it'll honestly depend on Matt Reeves' use of the characters. He seems to have been given complete reign over that particular catalogue of characters. Not sure he'd be willing to share unless his trilogy was done. 

DC wants to make this all part of same universe. 

Flash point is only way they can do that without angering fans. 

I do agree Flashpoint as first Flash film is bad in every way possible but that's the only way. 

34 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's also half-term break this week so weekdays should be good. Didn't Dolittle open to like £5 mil or something too last weekend?

Yep. Even though all its UK critic screenings got cancelled the night before they were due to take place 😂 

they will literally take their kids to anything to keep them quiet for two hours. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with some of you guys, maybe the 2020's could be the decade Video Game Movies could explode.   I'm not saying comic book movies are not going to continue to make money because they will.  We are just so used to Video Games movies being Hit or Miss, mostly misses.   The Rock did just take "Rampage" to almost 500 Million last year, considering that was a Classic game we played in the 80's those were amazing numbers.  I know "Assassin's Creed" and "Warcraft" didn't do that hot domestically but global audiences helped both of those films.   But check out this list of Video Game Adaptations and how they did.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games

Here's what's on the lot right now:

Monster Hunter (Dropping this year)

Uncharted (Dropping this winter)

Mortal Kombat (The 3rd Film of the series but a reboot)

Tomb Raider 2 (Really 4th film)

Mega Man (Very interesting choice, Robots, futuristic setting.  Yes I think it could work)

Metal Gear Solid (After writing my post, I check and Sony does have the film in development)

Call of Duty (War video game so it could work)

Pika Pika 2 (Yes they are going to do a sequel for sure)

Super Mario Bros. (Reboot, Universal has it going Animated route for 2022)

Regarding Sonic Profitability; We have $85mn budget. Since it's not releasing in China, release costs would be around $100mn range only. That gives $185mn cost. There will be another $125mn cost in participation, home video cost, interest and overheads, etc. Considering it make around $60mn in home video, around Pokemon and $80-100mn on TV, that would leave $160mn Approx to recover.

A $150mn in USA will give it $80mn in theatrical share, need another $80mn i.e. $200mn Overseas-China.

• Like 1

So, Sonic is doing well domestically, flopping OS and we're all of a sudden talking about "the decade of video game adaptations"?

🤣

I'm ready for something aside from comic book movies to dominate, but...can we at least get ONE video game adaptation that does half a billion before we actually even entertain this notion? Jesus... 

• Like 2

Just now, reddevil19 said:

So, Sonic is doing well domestically, flopping OS and we're all of a sudden talking about "the decade of video game adaptations"?

🤣

I'm ready for something aside from comic book movies to dominate, but...can we at least get ONE video game adaptation that does half a billion before we actually even entertain this notion? Jesus... 

Don’t worry, DUNE will be the MCU for the 2020’s. Denis’ already got a Dune show for HBO in the works on top of the film

• Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

It was £3m but had previews the previous weekend which were rolled in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmscholar said:

I agree with some of you guys, maybe the 2020's could be the decade Video Game Movies could explode.   I'm not saying comic book movies are not going to continue to make money because they will.  We are just so used to Video Games movies being Hit or Miss, mostly misses.   The Rock did just take "Rampage" to almost 500 Million last year, considering that was a Classic game we played in the 80's those were amazing numbers.  I know "Assassin's Creed" and "Warcraft" didn't do that hot domestically but global audiences helped both of those films.   But check out this list of Video Game Adaptations and how they did.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games

Here's what's on the lot right now:

Monster Hunter (Dropping this year)

Uncharted (Dropping this winter)

Mortal Kombat (The 3rd Film of the series but a reboot)

Tomb Raider 2 (Really 4th film)

Mega Man (Very interesting choice, Robots, futuristic setting.  Yes I think it could work)

Metal Gear Solid (After writing my post, I check and Sony does have the film in development)

Call of Duty (War video game so it could work)

Pika Pika 2 (Yes they are going to do a sequel for sure)

Super Mario Bros. (Reboot, Universal has it going Animated route for 2022)

Rampage did $428m WW and of the three it's the only one that might have eventually made a profit.  B.O. wasn't as lopsided as Warcraft but it was still very China heavy which means lower ancillaries b/c China has barely any.

What would help video game movies "explode" or just even be consistently profitable is making consistently good movies with hopefully  even a  very good one now and then.