Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

Samba TV numbers for the HBO Max same day releases:

Wonder Woman 1984 - 2.2 million

The Little Things - 1.4 million

Judas and the Black Messiah - 653k

Tom & Jerry - 1.2 million

Godzilla vs Kong - 2.6 million (3 days) / 3.6 million (5 days)

Mortal Kombat - 3.8 million

Those Who Wish Me Dead - 1.2 million

The Conjuring 3 - 1.6 million

In the Heights - 693k

Space Jam 2 - 2.1 million

The Suicide Squad - 2.8 million

Don't know how reliable Samba is but it aligns with yesterday's report.

4 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

The issue there though is 777K for Disney is probably worth more than the 2.8M for TSS. Disney having a Premium tier guarantees they make money on the streaming. WB isn't getting any premium fees, at best they are getting new subscriptions, but out of the 2.8M, how many are new subscriptions? That is the important metric. 

Yes, just comparing the most recent releases viewing figures. 

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

In the Heights - 693k

So is a household 3 people for Samba? I don’t know enough about them, their numbers always seem low. 

For example, that 2.2m number for Wonder Woman 1984, yet Neilsen had it at 2.3B minutes watched (biggest film on there to date). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

So is a household 3 people for Samba? I don’t know enough about them, their numbers always seem low. 

For example, that 2.2m number for Wonder Woman 1984, yet Neilsen had it at 2.3B minutes watched (biggest film on there to date). 

Nielsen is by person with a sound capturing device on them I think (like Shazam for tv content), while samba look the pixel on a tv to see what is played and is not a by person metric.

Samba tend to be for example x millions US household watched Y content not person:

It was more between 5.5m to 9m people, I would imagine.

It say here on HBO max, but I imagine if they are looking at the screen pixel to reconise content it was on all platform.

16 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

In the Heights - 693k

To be fair now, though...anyone who had to renew HBO Max this summer (which is everyone who got in on last year's deal) had to choose no free movies or free movies for $50 extra.  Many probably chose like me on renewal - no free movies, since they are ending in 2021.  So, fewer subscribers probably have access now to free movies than had access for GvK and MK...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Samba counts how many houses watched something. If you live alone and watched TSS, it counts as 1 household. If your house had 2 different TVs that watched TSS during this weekend, they still count as just 1 household for Samba. It also doesn't matter if you watched it once, or multiple times, it still counts as 1 household.

While on Nielsen they count the minutes watched. If 1 house watched just the first 30 minutes of TSS it will add just 30 minutes to the overall count; if another house finished watching TSS in 2 different TVs, Nielsen would add over 4 hours to their count.

Keep in mind this is made using statistics, they don't literally track how everyone in America is consuming TV. They have a sample, and then they estimate that to the entire country. And while this sounds questionable, it's how every research, political poll and TV ratings have been done forever. And different credible companies using different samples typically show similar results, so it's reliable.

19 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

had to choose no free movies or free movies for $50 extra.  Many probably chose like me on renewal - no free movies, since they are ending in 2021.  So, fewer subscribers probably have access now to free movies than had access for GvK and MK...

That an important point ( It is always said has free when reported, but $50 if you were interested in just 1 to 3 of the expected movies is not an insignificant price)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Wonder Woman 1984 helped HBO Max jump 4.6m subscribers from 12.6m to 17.2m activations, as per their report on 27th January. Obviously their reach has continued to grow since. 

A slight update on the Free Guy budget: it was greenlit at $100-125m. (Source: THR). 

Indeed! WW84 pretty much put HBOMAX on the map. Before that, there was a lot of market confusion about it as many people didn’t know it was different from HBO. Now, market awareness is a lot greater and it’s exceeded expectations the last two quarters.

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Star-Lord said:

Let’s say TSS hit it’s projections say $35 million OW, how would have it still made WB a profit? 

WB is not making a profit regardless theatrical on most, if not all their films this year. I'm sure they realize that because the goal seems to be drive subscriptions for HBO MAX instead

The Suicide Squad would have had to make over 500m to begin breaking even. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

WB is not making a profit regardless theatrical on most, if not all their films this year. I'm sure they realize that because the goal seems to be drive subscriptions for HBO MAX instead

The Suicide Squad would have had to make over 500m to begin breaking even. 

even in pre covid times to greenlight a 185 million budget for an R rated movie , its a bad idea......

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Samba counts how many houses watched something. If you live alone and watched TSS, it counts as 1 household. If your house had 2 different TVs that watched TSS during this weekend, they still count as just 1 household for Samba. It also doesn't matter if you watched it once, or multiple times, it still counts as 1 household.

While on Nielsen they count the minutes watched. If 1 house watched just the first 30 minutes of TSS it will add just 30 minutes to the overall count; if another house finished watching TSS in 2 different TVs, Nielsen would add over 4 hours to their count.

Keep in mind this is made using statistics, they don't literally track how everyone in America is consuming TV. They have a sample, and then they estimate that to the entire country. And while this sounds questionable, it's how every research, political poll and TV ratings have been done forever. And different credible companies using different samples typically show similar results, so it's reliable.

Still such a huge discrepancy between Samba and Neilsen though. 

The Tomorrow War had 2.4m (on a much cheaper service) and over 1bn minutes on Neilsen. 

Edited by Krissykins

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

even in pre covid times to greenlight a 185 million budget for an R rated movie , its a bad idea......

I don't think it was that bad idea. A risk, sure, but James Gunn created 2 major MCU hits, the first Suicide Squad did over 700m, Deadpool proved R-rated films can be successful and then Joker (of course with smaller budget) broke records. The movie ended up raved and quite easily their best received project since Wonder Woman so they knew the quality was there. 

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Still such a huge discrepancy between Samba and Neilsen though. 

The Tomorrow War had 2.4m (on a much cheaper service) and over 1bn minutes on Neilsen. 

Because Nielsen is also looking at individual viewers. Their tech includes stuff like People Meters that allow Nielsen boxes/technology to look at each viewer in a household. They do this for TV ratings so advertisers can see what demos (man, woman, kid, adult, etc.) is actually watching their stuff and what ads should be targeted towards them. So this means for Tomorrow War, if three people in one household watch that movie together, instead of 138 minutes viewed, that means 414 minutes were viewed, because three people watched it. So because 1984 dropped when families were all at home together for Christmas, the minutes soared exponentially.

I hope that makes sense

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I wonder how many DC fans already have HBOMax.

I bet a large number and they mostly watched it for free.

I have the Internet-HBO Max bundle. $40 a month first year then, $60 after which I’ll probably cancel.