Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

On 8/7/2021 at 8:48 PM, john2000 said:

fast 9 also did well, and gvk cruella and jungle cruise also did very decent imo ...

I’d remove Cruella and Jungle Cruise and replace them with Conjuring 3, The Forever Purge and Old.

Those three are actually making profit at some point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’d remove Cruella and Jungle Cruise and replace them with Conjuring 3, The Forever Purge and Old.

Those three are actually making profit at some point. 

I hate the film but I won't deny Cruella will end up profitable either.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Respect follows other August counter programmers like Straight Outta Compton, The Help, Black Klansman, Get On Up, The Butler 

Yes, that’s true. I just associate music biopics as end of year. Especially one depicting maybe the greatest female singer of them all. 

We’ll see how it does. You can argue the demo it appeals to haven’t had a movie for them all summer. With the new variant news dominating, I’m not sure they’ll come out in big numbers even if they want to. 

14 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Why not? WW84 released at a much worse time than those others and there was less opportunity to go to the cinema. Plus, WW84 had the biggest first week Neilsen views (from the ones available).  

From all the available stats Godzilla vs Kong was more hyped, so I would be surprised if it didn't outperform WW1984.

4 minutes ago, Firepower said:

From all the available stats Godzilla vs Kong was more hyped, so I would be surprised if it didn't outperform WW1984.

In retrospect that would make sense. "Oh a sequel to a spandex movie we liked" doesn't hold the same theoretical draw power as "two iconic monsters duking it out finally!*"

*=The original 1960s movie (not knocking it, I have fond nostalgia memories of it) happened a lifetime ago, might as well not have happened to many casuals. 

HBO Max had a lot more subscribers when GVK and MK were released than it had on the weekend WW84 came out. I don't think this necessarily mean that was more demand for those movies than there was for WW84. Could be just that HBO Max wasn't available for as many people.

• Like 4

Just now, Napoleon said:

HBO Max had a lot more subscribers when GVK and MK were released than it had on the weekend WW84 came out. I don't think this necessarily mean that was more demand for those movies than there was for WW84. Could be just that HBO Max wasn't available for as many people.

That's fair. 

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Yes, that’s true. I just associate music biopics as end of year. Especially one depicting maybe the greatest female singer of them all. 

We’ll see how it does. You can argue the demo it appeals to haven’t had a movie for them all summer. With the new variant news dominating, I’m not sure they’ll come out in big numbers even if they want to. 

Respect was actually supposed to open last August before all the delays happened so they were likely hoping to emulate all of the aforementioned hits (minus Get On Up, which tanked) from the beginning.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Tbf, WW84 looked quite bad 

Wonder Woman 1984 helped HBO Max jump 4.6m subscribers from 12.6m to 17.2m activations, as per their report on 27th January. Obviously their reach has continued to grow since. 

A slight update on the Free Guy budget: it was greenlit at $100-125m. (Source: THR). 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

It underperformed on all metrics.

Samba though. Remember that’s 2.8m households, not viewers. Is that correct? How many viewers make up a household for Samba?

Jungle Cruise got 777k. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Samba though. Remember that’s 2.8m households, not viewers. Is that correct? How many viewers make up a household for Samba?

Jungle Cruise got 777k. 

yeah that is a problem I have with Samba , although I was comparing with other HBO releases . I think MK or GvK had 3.8m viewers not sure which one.

20 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Jungle Cruise got 777k. 

The issue there though is 777K for Disney is probably worth more than the 2.8M for TSS. Disney having a Premium tier guarantees they make money on the streaming. WB isn't getting any premium fees, at best they are getting new subscriptions, but out of the 2.8M, how many are new subscriptions? That is the important metric. 

23 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Jungle Cruise got 777k. 

Difference between $30 each and free - JC appears way more impressive. 

Samba TV numbers for the HBO Max same day releases:

Wonder Woman 1984 - 2.2 million

The Little Things - 1.4 million

Judas and the Black Messiah - 653k

Tom & Jerry - 1.2 million

Godzilla vs Kong - 2.6 million (3 days) / 3.6 million (5 days)

Mortal Kombat - 3.8 million

Those Who Wish Me Dead - 1.2 million

The Conjuring 3 - 1.6 million

In the Heights - 693k

Space Jam 2 - 2.1 million

The Suicide Squad - 2.8 million

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1