Eric S'ennui

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

Shang-Chi's 8.8m preview number is, IMO, more impressive than Black Widow's 13.2m. Even if we hypothetically adjust BW's Thursday to 15m if we pretend there was no Disney+ release.

Black Widow was the first Marvel film in almost two years, with a character that had been on screen for a decade played by a bonafide superstar, at a general low-point for COVID in 2021.

Shang-Chi comes along on a historically underutilized holiday weekend, with Delta peaking (I hope), introducing a new lead character with one of the actors from an obscure (a statement not reflective of the show's quality) Canadian sitcom.

I'm on BoxOfficeMojo (or what's left of it) right now, looking at "Martial Arts" films. The top-6 Martial Arts movie opening weekends domestic are two Matrix films (48m and 91m openings), two Rush Hour films (50m and 67m), Mission Impossible 2 (57m) and The Karate Kid (55m). The Karate Kid is the only one of those I'd consider a true "Martial Arts" film instead of simply being influenced greatly by the genre.

Shang-Chie is already going to be the only non-sequel and non-reboot "Martial Arts" film to open $50m+ in the three day window. If it passes Karate Kid's 55m, I would consider it the top domestic opening for a "Martial Arts" film (sorry Matrix 2/Rush Hour 2).

I don't know how this OW be viewed as anything other than a resounding success. And the fantastic audience reaction (so far, which I expect to hold) combined with lack of competition in September should lead to some of the better legs we've seen for a Marvel film.

• Like 5

So I’m wondering why the AMC by my house only has like 4 showings for Shang chi for today but the regal I’m going to has a showing every 20 mins. The amc is way bigger and it’s not just this movie, I noticed it while looking at show times for other movies this summer. I know there’s a few people on here who work in theaters who might know why this is 🤔

https://deadline.com/2021/09/shang-chi-opening-weekend-box-office-1234826987/

Friday Midday Update: It was always going to be a record-setting Labor Day weekend, but exactly how high?

At this early point in time we can tell you that Disney/Marvel’s Destin Daniel Cretton directed movie Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings is looking to do $25M today, including last night’s $8.8M previews. That would be the third-highest opening day during the Covid era after Black Widow‘s $39.5M, and F9‘s $29.9M. Shang-Chi‘s 3-day is around $60M with the potential to do mid-to-high $60M range over 4-days. That’s poised to be 126% higher than the previous Labor Day weekend record opener, Halloween from 2007. It could even go much higher, but we’ll have a better idea tomorrow AM. This is according to industry estimates, not Disney. Look it’s still early: even if Shang-Chi comes in over 4-days in the high $50M range, understand, it’s still a domestic B.O. record. Overall, even by pre-pandemic standards, that’s a phenomenal Labor Day weekend, and one of the best we’ve seen this year. Exhibitors have a lot to be thankful for here as Disney has Shang-Chi on a 45-day theatrical day window. Early PostTrak audience exits show 5 stars for the first Asian-American Marvel superhero movie with a 99% fresh audience score on Rotten Tomatoes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

I can't with Deadline ...

16M friday, but they still expect 60M 3-day. And then maybe mid 60M by monday?

Luckily by tomorrow their numbers will be as always just a weird guess to get early articles.

$25m is good but not sure how they’re getting $60m as wouldn’t low to mid 50s be more likely? Here’s hoping for a bit more considering it is still early.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

That's like saying there was the possibility of superhero fatigue in 2015 after Fant4stic flopped or in 2019 after Shazam! underwhelmed.

Then why did Suicide Squad flop?

It was a proven franchise with stellar reviews.