Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (10/15-17) | Halloween Kills 4.85M Previews, Last Duel 350K

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

Halloween Kills not being affected by the hybrid release, in my opinion, is actually good news for Warner's strategy. It confirms piracy has little impact on box office, and that people not bying tickets to see WB films are watching them legally on HBO Max, which is what they wanted - you either watch them in a theater or you sign up to their streaming service. They get your money either way.

HBO Max has 21 million direct subs (iirc around 50 million people in the US can access HBO Max through their existing HBO sub).

Peacock only has 3 million.

The only reason why Peacock isn't killing Halloween 2 is because nobody has it. 

• Like 7

Yet another evidence Peacock doesn't exist. Meanwhile Dune won't have the same luck with HBO MAX.

Venom on track to miss the 200M. Fucking hell. That movie deserves everything. I saw it today and I feel blessed by it.

I'd say Peacock probably shaves around 3-5 million off of Halloween, whereas HBO Max is exponentially bigger depending on the movie - to the point where I think Space Jam opens to nearly 60m without it, and Dune gets there too (assuming it does 40). 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Halloween Kills not being affected by the hybrid release, in my opinion, is actually good news for Warner's strategy. It confirms piracy has little impact on box office, and that people not bying tickets to see WB films are watching them legally on HBO Max, which is what they wanted - you either watch them in a theater or you sign up to their streaming service. They get your money either way.

not when you consider Halloween might have opened even bigger without piracy. Let alone had good legs which will probably be affected. 
Let alone all the territories all over the world that haven’t had the movie yet, but are watching it right now for free. 

Hybrid releases lose potential revenue at the box office.  I don’t think that’s even in question anymore. Hence why even WB are ditching it, as well as everybody else. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RRA said:

Somebody in this thread suggested a new Freddy movie might deliver $ and I’ll suggest a new Friday the 13th could as well.

(F13 is in litigation hell at the moment though.)

Litigation hell is over

@EmpireCity or anyone else who has any info on this stuff, looking at peacock for Canada it says that Halloween might not be available here. Does anybody have any information about this stuff? I would love to be able to watch it at home but I need to know first obviously if it's going to show here in Canada or not.

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

@EmpireCity or anyone else who has any info on this stuff, looking at peacock for Canada it says that Halloween might not be available here. Does anybody have any information about this stuff? I would love to be able to watch it at home but I need to know first obviously if it's going to show here in Canada or not.

Peacock is a US-only service. If you want to see Halloween Kills, you have to wait for it to be on VOD or see it in theaters.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Litigation hell is over

Not exactly. After the litigation, we now have

- Paramount owning the title Friday the 13th

- Victor Miller owning stuff from the first movie, and only the first movie

- Cunningham owning all the iconography because that wasn't in place till the 3rd movie in the series i.e. Jason in an hockey mask

- WB/NL owning distribution

The actual negotiation hell is about to begin because 4 different parties now need to agree to make a movie

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

I swapped my VPN to Toronto and it said Peacock is not available in Canada.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Peacock is a US-only service. If you want to see Halloween Kills, you have to wait for it to be on VOD or see it in theaters.

I watched it with a friend who has a Peacock account through a VPN. So, yeah, if you're not in the US, get a VPN and then sign up for Peacock.

(But honestly, don't watch Halloween Kills. It's terrible lol.)

• Disbelief 1

On 10/15/2021 at 5:27 PM, AJG said:

Slightly off topic but Peacocks UI incorporates the RT score for every movie, so whenever you pause Halloween Kills you see a nice little 49% Rotten Splat on the screen.

Peacock have now broken out the FAKE RT audience score next to the movie. I've never seen shit like this before

53DEtvI05KTveRsAMocC9e7RNKYiiZ3NIBVbnSZ0

• Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

6 hours ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Choose your own adventure:

Response 1

Reveal hidden contents

Response 2

Reveal hidden contents

Response 3

Hide contents

Guess you really need the strike to delay NWH to the 1st weekend of a month now ;) 

NOPE check the IATSE THREAD 👀

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

Peacock have now broken out the FAKE RT audience score next to the movie. I've never seen shit like this before

53DEtvI05KTveRsAMocC9e7RNKYiiZ3NIBVbnSZ0

I just looked at RT now, the audience score is 75 percent. Maybe Peacock got the intern to take a snapshot of the moment the score went live, haha.

The opening weekend of In the Heights looks less bad, every time another prestige awards hopeful opens to even less. And it was on HBO Max! All the big openers this year seem to have drawn a young/diverse audience. Bond is an exception but even that did less than expected, with the youth numbers being on the weak side. All the Oscar bait that only appeals to older white audiences is gonna be screwed... 

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Or it could just be that nobody even knows what the hell Peacock is.

1 hour ago, AJG said:

HBO Max has 21 million direct subs (iirc around 50 million people in the US can access HBO Max through their existing HBO sub).

Peacock only has 3 million.

The only reason why Peacock isn't killing Halloween 2 is because nobody has it. 

That's the point I was trying to make. Halloween Kills is showing piracy has little impact on box office, and that WB films are being affected by legal viewing on HBO Max, not piracy. And that's what they hoped for when they announced this release strategy: to counter the losses in box office revenue with gains in HBO Max. There was a question about how much money they were losing to piracy, but the numbers for Halloween Kills are evidence that having a high quality copy available for piracy on day one doesn't have a significant impact on box office, at least not as much as speculated.

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

That's the point I was trying to make. Halloween Kills is showing piracy has little impact on box office, and that WB films are being affected by legal viewing on HBO Max, not piracy. And that's what they hoped for when they announced this release strategy: to counter the losses in box office revenue with gains in HBO Max. There was a question about how much money they were losing to piracy, but the numbers for Halloween Kills are evidence that having a high quality copy available for piracy on day one doesn't have a significant impact on box office, at least not as much as speculated.

how can you say that when it might have opened to $70 million plus and had decent legs? That’s a pretty significant impact, no? And like I said, an absolutely colossal impact on the rest of the world watching it for free. 
Then you’ve got the impact on repeat viewings, rentals and retail once it’s done with theatrical.  Every window is impacted once you put it out on the internet. 

Why would you rent/buy the movie when you can already get a perfect version of it for nothing on day one? 

This hybrid stuff is already over from next year anyway. And you can bet it wouldn’t be unless it was proven to have eaten considerably into the money they expect to make.  Warner Bros have taken one hell of a hit financially from the experimentation.  It’s over.  Theatrical exclusivity won. 

• Like 1