Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (10/15-17) | Halloween Kills 4.85M Previews, Last Duel 350K

4 hours ago, john2000 said:

same while i personally liked the last one idk why he is basically invincible

It's symbolic. Michael Myers represents everything that is evil. He's not a person, but an unstoppable force. Evil can never truly be killed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Man I can imagine watching the 2nd after disliking the first, but going for the 5th and 6th hour after you thought the first 4 sucked is some real dedication

After first I thought of not watching but then thought let's see the modern take on things, which is actually ok. I almost liked it but knowing climax of first is going to be wasted it just don't work. Then when I was 2 down, thought might as well see the 3rd just for sake of it.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, RRA said:

Somebody in this thread suggested a new Freddy movie might deliver $ and I’ll suggest a new Friday the 13th could as well.

(F13 is in litigation hell at the moment though.)

I actually felt that maybe "Freddy V Jason" should of gotten a sequel or Trilogy.  That did very well and it's adjusted numbers are decent.    I actually think "Friday the 13th" and "Nightmare on Elm Street" are both due for a comeback.    2009 "Friday the 13th" actually did pretty good for it's budget.  "Nightmare on Elm Street Prequel" was OK but not the greatest.   I think Freddy and Jason with a reasonable budget could both come back.   But they need to learn from Halloween and release in Oct......to get those Halloween "I want to be scared" audience.   I actually heard "Friday the 13th" Just resolved some of the legal issues so they should start on a reboot ASAP.

https://comicbook.com/horror/news/friday-the-13th-star-says-legal-battles-over-franchise-have-been/

Edited by filmscholar

Kinda confused by the negativity over Bond's number from a couple posters. It's looking to hold on par with Spectre despite bigger competition in its second weekend and losing a fair chunk of its PLFs to Halloween at a time when PLFs are the dominant form of moviegoing. That seems pretty good to me.

• Thanks 1

Horror always has an evening pop, and Halloween Kills saw over 36% of its audience after 9PM on Friday vs. Candyman which pulled in 27% of its audience in the late hours. In Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak exits, Halloween Kills drew Men 25+ (31%), Females 25+ (25%), Men under 25 (23%), and females under 25 (22%) with 62% between 18-34. A diverse crowd here with 38% Caucasian, 33% Hispanic, 16% African American and 7% Asian.

Bold well for Saturday rise.  

15 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

It's symbolic. Michael Myers represents everything that is evil. He's not a person, but an unstoppable force. Evil can never truly be killed.

Going off some the scenes I saw when my kid was watching, Myers can also do some lite Kung Fu. So theres that...

Just now, John Marston said:

Think I can count all of Ridley Scott’s financial hits on one hand. Alien, Gladiator, Prometheus, The Martian, and Black Rain. Am I missing any? 

Thelma & Louise, Hannibal, Black Hawk Down, and American Gangster

3 hours ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Look, people just need a certain minimum amount of gray CG to make a trip to the big screen worthwhile…

Funnily enough, my main issue with The Last Duel is it looked to me like the color grading was set to "foggy London morning." So gray.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52-53M for Halloween and 25-26M for Bond, pretty good for both (great actually for Halloween).

Even Venom is actually having a good drop. The Last Duel is a disaster but that's more than expected.

Presales for Dune are great, if final week doesn't disappoint could be another 40-45M OW, let's hope.

Huge for Halloween, good chance at $50M+ for the weekend despite being available to watch at home (one of the perks of being on a streaming service that's mostly irrelevant, probably). The last one next year should have zero problem opening to more than that since it'll be a theatrical exclusive.

19 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Think I can count all of Ridley Scott’s financial hits on one hand. Alien, Gladiator, Prometheus, The Martian, and Black Rain. Am I missing any? 

Thelma and Louise, Hannibal.

Edited by Firepower

Halloween Kills not being affected by the hybrid release, in my opinion, is actually good news for Warner's strategy. It confirms piracy has little impact on box office, and that people not bying tickets to see WB films are watching them legally on HBO Max, which is what they wanted - you either watch them in a theater or you sign up to their streaming service. They get your money either way.

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Halloween Kills not being affected by the hybrid release, in my opinion, is actually good news for Warner's strategy. It confirms piracy has little impact on box office, and that people not bying tickets to see WB films are watching them legally on HBO Max, which is what they wanted - you either watch them in a theater or you sign up to their streaming service. They get your money either way.

Or it could just be that nobody even knows what the hell Peacock is.

• Like 3