Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (10/15-17) | Halloween Kills 4.85M Previews, Last Duel 350K

26 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

That's the point I was trying to make. Halloween Kills is showing piracy has little impact on box office, and that WB films are being affected by legal viewing on HBO Max, not piracy. And that's what they hoped for when they announced this release strategy: to counter the losses in box office revenue with gains in HBO Max. There was a question about how much money they were losing to piracy, but the numbers for Halloween Kills are evidence that having a high quality copy available for piracy on day one doesn't have a significant impact on box office, at least not as much as speculated.

Piracy impact is worse in Asia, Latin America and Europe. It doesn't affect much in America. 

Either way we don't know how legs will be. Might pull a Texas Chainsaw somehow because of piracy and being available on streaming. Black Widow also had a great OD. The problem was everything that came after that.

Edited by CJ Chapek
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, AJG said:

HBO Max has 21 million direct subs (iirc around 50 million people in the US can access HBO Max through their existing HBO sub).

Peacock only has 3 million.

The only reason why Peacock isn't killing Halloween 2 is because nobody has it. 

As I understand, not every HBO max subscribers will have the access to new movies, only the ads-free tier have that access. Is that ok to assume not everyone in that 21m subscribe for ads-free tier??

Halloween was behind NTTD in Canada yesterday lol (and that’s including Thursday rolled into Friday). Says 2 things:

- Bond is huge in Canada (#commonwealth)

- Halloween is more of an american thing

13 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

As I understand, not every HBO max subscribers will have the access to new movies, only the ads-free tier have that access. Is that ok to assume not everyone in that 21m subscribe for ads-free tier??

Most are on ad-free. The Ad tier is a newer feature.

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I watched it with a friend who has a Peacock account through a VPN. So, yeah, if you're not in the US, get a VPN and then sign up for Peacock.

(But honestly, don't watch Halloween Kills. It's terrible lol.)

That's like asking me not to breathe LOL I got to watch it somehow

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

how can you say that when it might have opened to $70 million plus and had decent legs? That’s a pretty significant impact, no? And like I said, an absolutely colossal impact on the rest of the world watching it for free. 
Then you’ve got the impact on repeat viewings, rentals and retail once it’s done with theatrical.  Every window is impacted once you put it out on the internet. 

Why would you rent/buy the movie when you can already get a perfect version of it for nothing on day one? 

This hybrid stuff is already over from next year anyway. And you can bet it wouldn’t be unless it was proven to have eaten considerably into the money they expect to make.  Warner Bros have taken one hell of a hit financially from the experimentation.  It’s over.  Theatrical exclusivity won. 

No one knows how much Halloween Kills would've made without the hybrid release, that's just speculation so I won't discuss that, but it was never in question that they would return to theatrical exclusivity after the pandemic. WB announced very early on that this was for 2021 only. Disney always said Premier Access was temporary. That doesn't mean it wasn't a good move by Warner.

19 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

No one knows how much Halloween Kills would've made without the hybrid release, that's just speculation so I won't discuss that, but it was never in question that they would return to theatrical exclusivity after the pandemic. WB announced very early on that this was for 2021 only. Disney always said Premier Access was temporary. That doesn't mean it wasn't a good move by Warner.

I thought it was a terrible move. I can only go on the evidence of how it’s worked out for them. 

Look at how much their movies have made domestic. The embarrassing Suicide Squad gross and ridicule of the brand due to the association with tanking at the box office alone! 
Their major Oscar hope of the year with In the Heights, now more famous for tanking than how great the movie was.  Oscar hopes over. 

Underperforming is largely what sticks. No matter the quality. Which is disastrous when you’re trying to set up franchises. 

The Dune debacle is well documented, but how much will it destroy the potential of them rebooting The Matrix for a new set of movies? 

The move was so awful by Warners they’ve been dragged through the mud by their top talent, had to pay colossal sums to participants so they won’t sue, lost their crown jewel director AND been offloaded to Discovery. 

all for subscribers. 

it’s all opinions though. We’ll never know, but I think Halloween would have made more this weekend, and much more around the world. But….they sacrificed it for subs to Peacock. 

I don’t think it’s speculation to suggest the movie would pull in a ton more money worldwide if it wasn’t being consumed as we speak by millions for free. 

It’s all good though man. People are probably fed up of my ranting about the subject anyway. Lol. At least it’s all coming to an end now. Hurah!  All the best to you. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OCTOBER 15-17:

1. "Halloween Kills" - 47.8

2. "No Time To Die" - 24.6 / 99.8

3. "Venom 2" - 16.0 / 167.8

4. “The Addams Family 2" - 6.5 / 41.6

5. "The Last Duel" - 4.8

6. “Shang Chi" - 2.7 / 217.1

7. "Free Guy" - 0.7 / 120.8

8. "Most Eligible Bachelor" - 0.6

9. "Honsla Rakh" - 0.6

10. "Many Saints of Newark" - 0.5 / 8.4

11. "Lamb" - 0.4 / 1.8

12. "Dear Evan Hansen" - 0.4 / 14.6

OCTOBER 22-24:

1. "Dune" - 36.6

2. "Halloween Kills" - 14.9 / 72.8

3. "No Time To Die" - 13.8 / 122.5

4. "Ron's Gone Wrong" - 9.2

5. "Venom 2" - 8.6 / 182.1

6. "The Addams Family 2" - 3.8 / 47.4

7. "The Last Duel" - 2.9 / 10.2

8. "Shang Chi" - 1.5 / 219.4

9. "Free Guy" - 0.4 / 121.4

10. "The French Dispatch" - 0.3

OCTOBER 29-31:

1. "Dune" - 17.8 / 66.5

2. "Halloween Kills" - 8.6 / 86.7

3. "No Time To Die" - 8.3 / 135.5

4. "Last Night in Soho" - 6.5

5. "Venom 2" - 5.2 / 190.4

6. "Antlers" - 4.5

7. "Ron's Gone Wrong" - 4.2 / 16.7

8. "The French Dispatch" - 3.5 / 3.9

9. "My Hero Academia" - 3.3

10. "The Addams Family 2" - 2.9 / 51.5

NOVEMBER 5-7:

1. "Eternals" - 92.2

2. "Dune" - 9.3 / 81.2

3. "No Time To Die" - 4.6 / 143.3

4. "Halloween Kills" - 3.1 / 92.0

5. "Last Night in Soho" - 2.9 / 11.1

6. "Venom 2" - 2.8 / 194.9

7. "Spencer" - 2.5

8. "Antlers" - 2.0 / 7.9

9. "The French Dispatch" - 1.9 / 7.1

10. "Ron's Gone Wrong" - 1.8 / 19.9

11. "My Hero Academia" - 1.4 / 5.6

12. "The Addams Family 2" - 1.3 / 53.6

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

just gave you a follow on Letterboxd @Krissykins

well jealous of what you’ve seen in Glasgow for the LFF.  We’ve had the same showings at Chapter Arts for it in Cardiff, but I’ve been out of town this weekend. 

Whats your name on Letterboxd? let me follow you back. 

8 hours ago, AJG said:

HBO Max has 21 million direct subs (iirc around 50 million people in the US can access HBO Max through their existing HBO sub).

Peacock only has 3 million.

The only reason why Peacock isn't killing Halloween 2 is because nobody has it. 

Facts. I just download Peacock with Ads just to see it.

I know everyone is having fun with the Peacock is a failure narrative (which is largely true) 

That being said seems like Halloween Kills gave Peacock a nice boost, pretty much confirms that day and date movies that are doing well in theatres are also doing well on streaming. 

FB1G0-qXsAMKTv-?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 1