Eric Loves Rey

D23 Expo 2022 Discussion Thread | Friday Schedule (all times PST): Marvel/Lucasfilm/20th (10-12), Disney Branded Television (4-5:45) | Disney Adults Unite!

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Were any of those "we got the early scoop on" folks anything right about from this? I feel like they didn't looking back, especially when a supposed Fantastic Four reveal didn't happen. Just goes to show that it's not official until the trades report it so!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AJG said:

I kinda want to see what they do with the Avater sequels if Avatar 2 flops.

As someone who has dragged Avatar A LOT I don't think it will flop at all, in fact its probably gonna do really well.  I think the market is starving for something that feels organic because so much of the shit Hollywood pumps out now feels like they're made by computer programs and market analytics.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

As someone who has dragged Avatar A LOT I don't think it will flop at all, in fact its probably gonna do really well.  I think the market is starving for something that feels organic because so much of the shit Hollywood pumps out now feels like they're made by computer programs and market analytics.

This. Avatar has a different feel and I think that'll play really well. 

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Checking Wikipedia was about the Mossad agent part. Honestly, I feel like that makes it worse than just her being an Israeli. I feel like it's akin to for example having Hawkeye being a CIA Agent in Iraq in 2003 being a part of his backstory.

With the way they handled real world geopolitical matters in that Falcon show I wouldn't expect too much from MCU writing

Moderation 

Hey All.

We have zero idea how they’re gonna adapt Sabra From the comics to the MCU. And it’s not like they haven’t played fast and loose with canon before. So I would refrain from making comments until we actually have some tangible information. Thank you

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Cap said:

It’s almost like they should’ve brought footage to Comic Con. It’s almost like once they start marketing the movie it’s gonna be on the verge of too late. 

Not sure if it's "too late" (and tbf you are saying "verge"), but they 100% aren't following the playbook from 2009, that's for sure.

And that's damned odd, considering how fucking good of a playbook it was!!!

5 minutes ago, Cap said:

I took my friend to see Jaws. I would say that she is pretty general audience about movies. She’s not a film buff. But she definitely go to the movies, and she watch top gun like five times. 

When we got out of the movie theater, there was an Avatar poster. She said: like I need to go see that. I have never seen the movie. And I know that there is a ride at animal kingdom and we’re going this winter, so I want to watch it before I go on the ride.

She did not say anything about the sequel. Her primary Concern was her trip to Disney World and that there was a ride down there.

Yeah, reaching Teh Casuals is the key here.  Make it so they hype reaches even them.

5 minutes ago, Cap said:

Also avatar is still not trending on Twitter? At least not in the US? I don’t know if it’s just my algorithm, but my entire thing is college football, Mando, and Marvel. 

Not just your feed:

(there is another US feed checker, but that hasn't been updated in the last 45 min so I'll check it in a bit)

Mind, this aggregator could be collapsing trends, but, yeah.  Just odd choices on marketing, if they want to build up hype ahead of time.

5 minutes ago, Cap said:

Not releasing the trailer is a huge mistake

It was a mistake not to release it at Comic Con, as you say.  Not releasing it now is just adding to it.

• Community Manager
11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Checking Wikipedia was about the Mossad agent part. Honestly, I feel like that makes it worse than just her being an Israeli. I feel like it's akin to for example having Hawkeye being a CIA Agent in Iraq in 2003 being a part of his backstory.

Really? There's nothing wrong with having Isreali characters or even Mossad agents. Just like there'd be nothing wrong with having Palestinian characters. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Cap said:

It’s almost like they should’ve brought footage to Comic Con. It’s almost like once they start marketing the movie it’s gonna be on the verge of too late. 

I took my friend to see Jaws. I would say that she is pretty general audience about movies. She’s not a film buff. But she definitely go to the movies, and she watch top gun like five times. 

When we got out of the movie theater, there was an Avatar poster. She said: like I need to go see that. I have never seen the movie. And I know that there is a ride at animal kingdom and we’re going this winter, so I want to watch it before I go on the ride.

She did not say anything about the sequel. Her primary Concern was her trip to Disney World and that there was a ride down there.

Also avatar is still not trending on Twitter? At least not in the US? I don’t know if it’s just my algorithm, but my entire thing is college football, Mando, and Marvel. 

Not releasing the trailer is a huge mistake

They might want to save it for the re-release this month. If they don't have anything new before or with the re-release, then I will agree that is probably a mistake.

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Not sure if it's "too late" (and tbf you are saying "verge"), but they 100% aren't following the playbook from 2009, that's for sure.

Yes I should clarify that before people jump down my throat. I don’t doubt that this movie is going to make a lot of money. I just don’t know where the fever pitch is coming from.

Like where is the excitement and passion and anticipation that is going to make the difference between it making like $500 million at the box office and making like $700 million at the box office.

It could be something like top gun where the movie was good and you had a lot of repeat viewers, but we don’t know that yet… Because they’re not releasing footage!!

I have no doubt James Cameron will deliver a good movie. But I also spent most of my time on the Internet on a film forum, so his name means something to me where might not mean something to a general audience member who is just going because they want to see the blue people again.  And those are the people that you need to convince to go back to the movie!!!

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the only theatrical release to unveil marketing materials to the public was The Little Mermaid? And that's probably because they likely want to attach it with The Woman King next weekend (for targeted marketing purposes, understandably). Clearly they've decided to go the "good things come to those who wait" route since I don't think there was anything for Guardians 3 and Blade today either (with at least the former being well into post-production).

9 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Really? There's nothing wrong with having Isreali characters or even Mossad agents. Just like there'd be nothing wrong with having Palestinian characters. 

That's not what I'm talking about here. The problem is a lot of people find this to be a touchy subject any direction they take will cause controversy.

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Avatar 2 is gonna clean up the box office. Prepare yourselves. Especially when it's unquestionably the big movie for Christmas this year by a not-even-close margin.

I can't get a feel for this one whatsoever. The trailer felt like it had zero pop culture impact and the views are horrendous for what it is. There are no buzz worthy stars in it. 

IDK. I know why people expect it do well (obviously), but the last few giant holiday breakouts felt like they had way more buzz. 

33 minutes ago, Cap said:

Moderation 

Hey All.

We have zero idea how they’re gonna adapt Sabra From the comics to the MCU. And it’s not like they haven’t played fast and loose with canon before. So I would refrain from making comments until we actually have some tangible information. Thank you

Fair but still not a good look to have her be the first Jewish MCU superhero (could they be ballsy enough to make her a straight up supervillain?) especially when Whedon and co. scrubbed Wanda and Pietro of their Jewish-Romani roots and made them volunteer for Nazi experiments (!) in Ultron.

Edited by Spidey Freak
Forgot that Moon Knight is Jewish too. But I guess Sabra will be the first Jewish MCU superhero on the big screen.