Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

2 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

The first movie literally ends with the Na'vi going up against a bunch of U.S. military-coded troops (yeah yeah it was a corporation but we all know the impression it was intended to give). 

Still way too heavy on the white savior trope. 

@Capmy point is that you could literally hammer marketing with Avatar and it wouldn’t change anything. Overexposure is also a thing. The media cycle for Marvel, DC, Star Wars and what have you have to fight tooth and nail with the Stranger Things and whatever is hot on steaming in the week. Maverick was nostalgia heavy with almost 30 years from a film to the next. I just don’t think Avatar has ever earned that kind of value with audiences, and marketing the shit out of it wouldn’t change that.

Edited by Alligator Zatt

1 hour ago, upriser7 said:

Lets say A2 slightly underperforms at box-office vs pre-release expectations and ends up at $1.5B-1.8B but if the WOM is very positive, that should set up things well for A3 right ? I'd expect A3 to open better than A2...also you won't have that 13 year gap for A3 like we had for A2 and very likely little impact of covid during end of 2024.

nah i'm expecting star wars sequel trilogy drops for each new movie since just like those movies the magic of them will wear off more with bi-yearly releases

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

That trope is hardly limited to America (and hell, not even limited to white audiences either). People of many nationalities connected to and enjoyed the story. 

Like I’ve said, as a South American dude, I personally read Avatar and Maverick is white af. And I’m not saying that I don’t enjoy white protags, like I’ve said, I’m a Cap stan. A Supes stan, etc. But to stop the back and forth that is literally about how I personally see it, do we have the demographic breakdowns for the previews yet? I don’t remember if we get that with the previews or just after the OW.

1 hour ago, upriser7 said:

Lets say A2 slightly underperforms at box-office vs pre-release expectations and ends up at $1.5B-1.8B but if the WOM is very positive, that should set up things well for A3 right ? I'd expect A3 to open better than A2...also you won't have that 13 year gap for A3 like we had for A2 and very likely little impact of covid during end of 2024.

No, because Avatwo’s success is partially the result of the latent popularity of the original, but now that itch has been scratched. Would expect diminishing returns for future sequels, similar to Hobbit, JWD, Fantastic Beasts, etc 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So Jimbo was serious about expecting 1 billion domestic.

I guess it the whole Avatar obsession wasn't a gimmick. 

sometimes you just get too cought up in the hype of a movie you look forward too and when it dosint do as well as you hoped it can kinda hurt i should know since i was devastated when KOTM's reviews and box office came out. but you also need to learn to get over it and that there's more important parts of life to focus on and that some times you win some and you lose some

• Like 2