Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

• Community Manager
9 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

In terms of Sheridan, it’s a relatively open secret that he had his assistants and coordinators help out with the writing (not credited of course).

Sheridan knows it's a team sport. Some people call him power hungry. But he's a good man.

Oh wait this isn't a Babylon 5 post. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

A compare/contrast/contrast of the proposals as of May 1st and the actual deal:

https://strikegeist.substack.com/p/heres-the-new-writers-guild-contract

67be5802-bf7f-458e-ba71-48c09a4d73d7_140

e4feae26-1b83-4600-b77f-ac43901fc220_140

0a5a8794-ad76-408f-a97d-57d70d9c9e55_141

71f9f34b-815b-4767-b043-80dfebdcf5f2_140b46315f1-48c1-4433-a8aa-8129d9ca2dbc_139

386b8afc-3672-47e4-875c-11d0d0cb5f66_140

e6a41ade-1366-43f9-957c-b10d3428ec43_140

Just wanna say this is an amazing post and everyone should read it in detail, save it and link it to anyone who ever tells you unions are useless, don’t work, or any such talk.

The strike really worked in 2023, so great to see that, I really didn’t think they’d get so much of what they wanted out of it.

Also, as a side note, as consumers of this industry we all should be really happy about the AI agreements.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All the wins on "quality and quantity of employment" (staffing and contract length minimums) seem pretty big and are hugely important moving forward. Putting those down in writing, even if they are a small improvement on what people were already getting, seems hugely important given the changing environment. 

The success-based residuals seem much less impressive (how many shows are viewed by 20% of the suscriber base? I guess a tiny amount), and I wonder if that will work for SAG-AFTRA.

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

Netflix can't keep getting away from this. 

27 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

All the wins on "quality and quantity of employment" (staffing and contract length minimums) seem pretty big and are hugely important moving forward. Putting those down in writing, even if they are a small improvement on what people were already getting, seems hugely important given the changing environment. 

The success-based residuals seem much less impressive (how many shows are viewed by 20% of the suscriber base? I guess a tiny amount), and I wonder if that will work for SAG-AFTRA.

Already said this privately to @Cap, but I think the bigger win in regards to streaming numbers is getting actual concrete numbers of views for shows (presumably total and per episode) as that gives them a real frame of reference for future talks.

Yes, this contract might be a low ball when it comes to residuals and percentage of viewer base.  I'd be more than a little surprised if it wasn't.

But as I said a few pages back.... Information is power, and the WGA finally... FINALLY is gonna get a very large chunk of info coming its way.  Which should help inform future contract negotiations.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Already said this privately to @Cap, but I think the bigger win in regards to streaming numbers is getting actual concrete numbers of views for shows (presumably total and per episode) as that gives them a real frame of reference for future talks.

Yes, this contract might be a low ball when it comes to residuals and percentage of viewer base.  I'd be more than a little surprised if it wasn't.

But as I said a few pages back.... Information is power, and the WGA finally... FINALLY is gonna get a very large chunk of info coming its way.  Which should help inform future contract negotiations.

The most surprising thing about this strike was that none of the studio PR moves seemed to work. Not the "Your favourite movies will be delayed", or the "They earn too much already" or even the "We are coming off unprecedented times and can't afford this strike or we will go bankrupt". The WGA really won the communications war throughout the strike.

• Like 7