Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't think there is anything abnormal happening here. It's a sequel to film which would have opened $90-110M, $70-80M OW is pretty much par course.

Inflation adj Monster Verse openings

G 2014 - 125
Skull Island - 75
KOTM - 58

GvK (in normal times) - 90-110

That 90-110 seems low to me. But agreed that this isn't an unusual number.

• Like 2

I did a count on just late shows for my area.

Day started with 225 tickets to late evening shows. At 2:00, it was at 250. It finished with 637, so not quite tripling, but close enough.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I think GxK blow-up has something to do with the fact that no "casual" action movie has done over $70m OW since Spider-Verse 9 months ago...

On 2/28/2024 at 7:30 PM, M37 said:

But I think its less about this specific film, and just that there has been virtually nothing for the action GA crowd for months! Aquaman floated on that void in the market, and the closest since then was probably Beekeeper

Sometimes an itch just needs to be scratched, and while I think Dune II is going to do very well, its not going to be the fix some audience is looking for given the demo skew of the previous film

Thank GIF

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Godzilla is beating Dune 2 right now (Not too shocking) 

What's crazy is it's blowing Panda 4 out of the water in terms of walkups and that was THE walkup film in Miami

Combined comp is at $9.65M right now!!!

Beat Dune 2 in total seats sold just walkups. Finished with 10.7k vs Dune 10.5k

Using just Dune 2 that would give me $9.5M so I'll go with $9.5M +/- 0.2M

(Ghostbusters comps is just absurd lol that comp finished at $13.07M!!

Edited by TheFlatLannister
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 4

58 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't think there is anything abnormal happening here. It's a sequel to film which would have opened $90-110M, $70-80M OW is pretty much par course.

Inflation adj Monster Verse openings

G 2014 - 125
Skull Island - 75
KOTM - 58

GvK (in normal times) - 90-110

So Dune 1 would have made $90M-$100 OW without that first day release on HBO MAX?

6 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

So Dune 1 would have made $90M-$100 OW without that first day release on HBO MAX?

I suppose there is a diff between March 2021 and Oct 2021 in BO health.

That said, I did thought Dune 2 OW be lower than Dune 1 real value OW but seeing Dune 2 performance elsewhere, I feel Dune 2 OW > Dune 1 real value OW. So probably $60-70M in normal BO times.

• Like 1

All the people who made predictions that GxK's opening would healthily surpass Kong: Skull Island's look like prophets. I was expecting mid-to-high 50's OW at best. The possibility of this getting close to, or even hitting $70m never entered my mind.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Obviously can't make the same kind of extrapolation between two completely different franchises. GvK would've made much more than Dune too if it had the latter's release date.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire MTC1

Previews(T-1) - 85565/646340 1580924.03 3534 shows +16410

Friday - 102461/1097919 1804552.17 6145 shows +21727

Strong day for sure. 4x from T-1 PS takes it to ~150K and 5x to ~165k ish finish. ~8-9m previews is in play. 

Friday should hit 160k ish by tomorrow night and hit 320-350K finish. High end could take it to 25m True Friday and 75m+ OW as @M37 had predicted yesterday. I think even @charlie Jatinder post about beating Dune 2 OW is in play. 

Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire MTC1 Previews Final - 156105/649322 2767470.25 3560 shows +70540

Excellent final day and it finished within the range I expected yesterday. Looking at ATP and with a holiday tomorrow, ~10m previews is in play. Will post friday number later. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4