ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

Just now, MightyDargon said:

Again, the fact a considerable part of the country got smashed by Helene means this will do poorer than it should. But Joker 2 will be an EPIC fall from grace in terms of critical/audience notice.

I disagree. Helene, bad as it was, did not impact the major population centers most of the damage was done to rural communites.

I don;t mean to downplay the serouness, but I thin if Helene had not happened, Joker 2 would have bombedjust as hard.

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

18 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Rocky Horror was VERY memorable in a way mainstream movies (esp. musicals) of the time were not.

Still a cult film though

Ir waa a terrible bomb in it's first release, It was not until the Midnight Movie thing got going it became the phenmenon it became.

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I disagree. Helene, bad as it was, did not impact the major population centers most of the damage was done to rural communites.

I don;t mean to downplay the serouness, but I thin if Helene had not happened, Joker 2 would have bombedjust as hard.

It hit a pretty wide geographic area including part of the Florida coast and demolished one city (Asheville) quite badly. I don't think we should really underplay it. 

But it's probably 3-4 mil off OW at most (and that will decline over subsequent weeks as power goes back on). 

Joker 2 was absolutely doomed after word got out post Cannes.

7 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Other genres occasionally do. 

Doctor T & The Women

Killing Them Softly

Disaster Movie

Eye of the Beholder

In The Cut

I Know Who Killed Me

Solaris

Lucky Numbers

The Box

Does anyone like any of the F Cinemascore films? 

I enjoyed Wolf Creek and Silent House. 

Oh woah, lots of relatively decent movies in there, in fact I think most are decent Sunday afternoon watches.

I can understand an F for something like "Disaster Movie", but whose mother did stuff like "Solaris" and "Killing Them Softly" kill to deserve an F? I'm sorta baffled by a lot in this list.

51 minutes ago, Mandatory said:

FRIDAY PM: As of this minute, Todd Phillips’ audacious Joker: Folie à Deux is looking at an OK Friday of $20M, including last night’s $7M, and hoping to stay above $50M, but could sink to $45M at 4,102 theaters. Numbers wise, even though it was a PG-13 movie, this looks far too similar to The Marvels with posted $6.6M previews, a $21.6M first day and disastrous 3-day of $21.6M. That movie was actually more expensive than Joker 2 here, $270M to $190M. The fear is that the bad word of mouth on this movie will make it increasingly frontloaded with a freefall on Saturday.

RelishMix noticed good social media metrics with the pic’s follower reach at 567.3M across TikTok, YouTube, X, Instagram and Facebook, which is 7% above superhero genre norms before opening. Lady Gaga’s fans across all platforms clocked 231.3M fans with 43.7M views feeding into her Instagram. However, the bad buzz post Venice where the movie clocked 62% fresh with critics on RT seeped into presales, which were heard were not amazing ahead of opening.

Universal’s second weekend of DreamWorks Animation’s The Wild Robot at 3,997 venues is seeing a second Friday of $4.9M and a second weekend of $19.5M, -46%, for a ten-day of $64.7M.

Warner Bros. has better luck this weekend with Beetlejuice Beetlejuice at 3,576 sites which will continue to hold in weekend 5 at -30% for a 3-day of $11.4M after a near $3M Friday for a running total by Sunday of $266.5M, still the second highest grossing movie of September behind 2017’s It ($327.4M).

Fourth belongs to Paramount’s Transformers One at 3,106 locations with a third Friday of $1.35M, third weekend of $5.5M, -40% and a running total of $47.4M.

Fifth is Universal/Blumhouse’s fourth weekend of Speak No Evil at 2,274 sites, with $900K today, a 3-day of $3M, -30% for a running total of $32.7M.

Outside the top 5 is Lionsgate’s misfire White Bird with $650K today, and $1.5M-$2M opening for the weekend.

I was just thinking in my head before I came on here, "I wonder if Joker 2 is about to be another The Marvels', pretty epic bomb incoming.

28 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

And honestly, juxtaposing the musical segs with boring courtroom shit is a major turn off. Does anyone remember anything cool ever happening in a Gotham city courtroom???!

Joker throwing acid in Harvey Dent's face in David Goyer's original plans for The Dark Knight.

31 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

And honestly, juxtaposing the musical segs with boring courtroom shit is a major turn off. Does anyone remember anything cool ever happening in a Gotham city courtroom???!

Two Face gets his face burnt off in courtrooms most of the time (I believe it was a courtroom bathroom in the last Batman cartoon). 

11 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Oh woah, lots of relatively decent movies in there, in fact I think most are decent Sunday afternoon watches.

I can understand an F for something like "Disaster Movie", but whose mother did stuff like "Solaris" and "Killing Them Softly" kill to deserve an F? I'm sorta baffled by a lot in this list.

Some of those had A listers at the time too.  

Clooney, Pitt, Diaz. 

Just now, AJG said:

Two Face gets his face burnt off in courtrooms most of the time (I believe it was a courtroom bathroom in the last Batman cartoon). 

Meh. In Telltale Batman he gets mutilated during a political debate. It would actually be funny given the awfulness of what Gotham's mayors are like but for the fact that he's in absolutely horrific pain during it.

7 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Joker throwing acid in Harvey Dent's face in David Goyer's original plans for The Dark Knight.

Which, of course, is what happened in hte comics, except it was not the Joker who threw the acid.

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

That goes way back to 1941 and the first appreance of Two Face in the comics. It is the classic TwoFace Origin story.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Anyways, Superman is not safe at all. It will be a good film, but competing against critics proof Jurassic world and a proper MCU fantastic 4 film is asking for a bomb. 

Was seeing some $300M DOM floating around last week. I think it would be lucky to hit $300M+ WW

MOS and especially SUPERMAN RETURNS were no lubed by horrific release dates, lets hope WB learns. 

Superman would be a great Christmas film.