Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 0:04 PM, Telemachos said:

Who gets to define what projects are "interesting"? The industry as a whole is hurt when passionate people get pushed out.

I don't agree with this at all. 

The grand result of all this means a steady push towards corporatization and conglomeration of product, none of which are really good for movie fans no matter what movies you like.

I don't disagree that the trend toward fewer and fewer studios is bad,but I am not sure Tull is a good case,since I could argue that the kind of CGI spectacle driven film he favored are an example  of corporate medocracy at it's worst. You have to deal with specific cases,not generalities,and I am not sure that Tull is good choice to play the "Creative Individual Screwd by the Corporate suits" narrative.

And, Tele, you have been close enough to the business to know that, in the end,you can't keep on producing big films that don't produce big profits and lost long. And that Tull had a real talent for alientating his  business Partners did not help matters. He wore out his welcome at Universal very quickly. His claiming credit for "Jurassiac World" a movie that Legendary had no creative input into ...Legendary was merely allowed to invest their money after all the key creative decisions had been made...really pissed off the Universal execs who actually made the decisions that made Jurassica World into such a huge hit.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:45 AM, Bishop54 said:

But that's how studios get in trouble. You have to make what people will see. 

And some woud argue that a lot of Tull's pet projects were just as soulless  as any corporate project.

34 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

I'm glad Tull went after passion projects.

Once again, it all depends on what you are passionate about. This whole idea that "Passion" is automatically good is a mistake.

I know what this it;Tull was seen as the "Studio Head who was a Geek" and the Geeks are angry that he was forced out.

BTW,IMHO if it had been A Western company that bought Legendary,the same thing would have happened. Tull was spending lots of money on expensive films that did not pay off the way a investment that big should.

• Like 2

On 19/01/2017 at 10:11 PM, dudalb said:

Once again, it all depends on what you are passionate about. This whole idea that "Passion" is automatically good is a mistake.

I know what this it;Tull was seen as the "Studio Head who was a Geek" and the Geeks are angry that he was forced out.

BTW,IMHO if it had been A Western company that bought Legendary,the same thing would have happened. Tull was spending lots of money on expensive films that did not pay off the way a investment that big should.

On 19/01/2017 at 9:15 PM, dudalb said:

I don't disagree that the trend toward fewer and fewer studios is bad,but I am not sure Tull is a good case,since I could argue that the kind of CGI spectacle driven film he favored are an example  of corporate medocracy at it's worst. You have to deal with specific cases,not generalities,and I am not sure that Tull is good choice to play the "Creative Individual Screwd by the Corporate suits" narrative.

And, Tele, you have been close enough to the business to know that, in the end,you can't keep on producing big films that don't produce big profits and lost long. And that Tull had a real talent for alientating his  business Partners did not help matters. He wore out his welcome at Universal very quickly. His claiming credit for "Jurassiac World" a movie that Legendary had no creative input into ...Legendary was merely allowed to invest their money after all the key creative decisions had been made...really pissed off the Universal execs who actually made the decisions that made Jurassica World into such a huge hit.

We've seen with the likes of Ryan Kavanaugh and Relativity, how financiers who invest in movies decide that they should be making films and start making mistakes. At least Megan Ellison is pretty sensible and goes finances films which deserve a wider audience rather than big blockbusters. 

I wonder if Wanda saw Tull as a liability hence why he was given the boot, I would not be surprised will cut ties with Legendary once the output deal expires. 

12 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Stop.

If you give me a valid reason why. I don't like him and I'm sure you don't like some actors but nobody tells you to stop criticizing them. Boyega has been shoveled down our throats like your average Jai Courtney yet it's OK to criticize Courtney. I see no difference. Marginally talented both of them lucked out with some franchises and are now put in eevrything. That should stop. 

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

If you give me a valid reason why. I don't like him and I'm sure you don't like some actors but nobody tells you to stop criticizing them. Boyega has been shoveled down our throats like your average Jai Courtney yet it's OK to criticize Courtney. I see no difference. Marginally talented both of them lucked out with some franchises and are now put in eevrything. That should stop. 

He was real fun in Attack the Block, so much so that I had real problems seeing him in a Star Wars movie when he was cast but once I watched him in it he totally sold me being part of that world. So, eh, I think he has more range than you give him credit for.

But yeah, as you said, opinions.

24 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

He hasn't been shoveled down my throat, and I've been monitoring news about Pacific Rim: Uprising since 2013, when I honestly wasn't expecting news about it. He isn't as talked about as Frozen (for example) was in 2013-14, so I don't understand where you're getting this from. I've only found news about Boyega when I looked for it. With the amount of times you've posted in this thread, I can't help but think that you're just here to trash it.

Which I'm alright with, considering that I've been taking cracks at Power Rangers since October. But I'm not tired of hearing about it. If I'm tired of hearing about a particular actor, I don't go looking for things about them. This thread is bound to have a focus on Boyega because he is Jake Pentecost--the MC. 

Also, he's in Star Wars. It makes sense that as an up-and-coming Hollywood actor he'd be a hot topic. Talking about it won't change that.

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

Also, he's in Star Wars. It makes sense that as an up-and-coming Hollywood actor he'd be a hot topic. Talking about it won't change that.

I know. It's just that I hated him in Star Wars and I'm thinking that, if PR unperformed, they'd minimize his role in SW. I don't mind him getting a SW spin-off that I can ignore, but I don't want more of him in the Episodes because he acts like Jar Jar Binks. I know that every trilogy must have an annoying comic relief (Jar Jar, 3PO, Finn) but I find his the most insufferable. So it's more like assurance for the future than actually me having anything against PR. I just want less of him in or gone from SW. They should have cast MBJ. I'm sure he wouldn't turn that role into a bumbling idiot. 

how the hell has Boyega been shoved down our throats? Literally the only thing he's been cast in since Star Wars is Pacific Rim and that Detroit riots movie. Daisy Ridley's been cast in way more. He is a rising star and was in the biggest movie in the America last year. Obviously he'll be cast in projects.  See this is why I blocked Valonqar he is so annoying and his biases are so obvious lol. But I won't say anymore. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

how the hell has Boyega been shoved down our throats? Literally the only thing he's been cast in since Star Wars is Pacific Rim and that Detroit riots movie. Daisy Ridley's been cast in way more. He is a rising star and was in the biggest movie in the America last year. Obviously he'll be cast in projects.  See this is why I blocked Valonqar he is so annoying and his biases are so obvious lol. But I won't say anymore. 

I agree..Lol

The dudes been in literally one big film....

• Like 2

On 1/25/2017 at 3:00 PM, Valonqar said:

I know. It's just that I hated him in Star Wars and I'm thinking that, if PR unperformed, they'd minimize his role in SW. I don't mind him getting a SW spin-off that I can ignore, but I don't want more of him in the Episodes because he acts like Jar Jar Binks. I know that every trilogy must have an annoying comic relief (Jar Jar, 3PO, Finn) but I find his the most insufferable. So it's more like assurance for the future than actually me having anything against PR. I just want less of him in or gone from SW. They should have cast MBJ. I'm sure he wouldn't turn that role into a bumbling idiot. 

You should consider taking a break from posting for a week, each post gets worse and more rambling.  

• Like 3

On 1/25/2017 at 4:15 PM, ban1o said:

The obsessive hatred for one particular actor reminds me of someone....