Neo

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves | March 31, 2023 | Paramount | Amazon Prime advance screenings March 19 @ 2 PM

49 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Another great trailer, this looks fun. I hope it’s good and does well

Unfortunately the Dungeons and Dragons IP is facing huge backlash over Wizards of the Coast's insanely strict licensing from what I can understand. And you can definitely feel the effects of that by looking at the like/dislike ratio. Couple that with the frankly dreadful marketingParamount probably knows what's coming which definitely explains why they placed Scream 6 in the same month and you have yourselves a stinky flop.

Which is a shame because this movie legitimately looks really good, even as someone with zero DnD knowledge. I really hope this becomes a cult classic and finds an audience in the years afterward.

35 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I've been feeling similar numbers to Warcraft and King Arthur: Legend of the Sword for a while for this tbh, especially when it's coming at the end of a very packed March.

it looks awful so yeah maybe those are even better comps lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

Why would general audiences care about that though?

No but a large number of diehards are boycotting. To explain what happened: WOTC ( the subsidy of Hasbro that controls DND) changed the ogl so that if you where someone who made 3rd party campaigns and sold them... If you made a certain amount of money off it ($750,000+) you would have to 25% of that to WOTC. They also put a similar tax on streaming campaigns (think critical role). 

Add to that comments by WOTC leadership about DND being treated like a video game... The die-hards snapped

this shit looks lame as fuck. the trailer always kinda gets scoffs when i see it at the cinema too. think as much as geeks have inherited the earth this property is still a bridge too far for a lot of people. D&D still a pop cultural shorthand for "this character is a total dork"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

These medieval movies don't do well anymore

Unfortunately I think you're right. In regards to movies, the farthest you can go back is to the 20th century and have audiences be interested enough to check it out on the big screen, sword and sandals flicks have been dead theatrically for a while.

Television/streaming is where most of the content set in the far past seem to be at. Medieval and Victorian era stuff seems aplenty in places like Netflix, Hulu, etc.  It's a shame because I really like fantasy and I feel like the genre has dried up a bit in recent years, whereas sci-fi has been booming for a while now.