Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

45 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

Great cast and director but once Lucas AND Spielberg departed the project, they should've cut their losses and moved on. Indiana Jones 4 was mediocre and Harrison Ford was already too old for the role back then. It's now been an additional 13 years since then.

I didn’t get this complaint in 2008 and I don’t get it now, what’s wrong with seeing an ageing Indy? I know he’ll probably not be clinging to the front of trucks and jumping onto tanks anymore, but I’d still rather have Harrison Ford in the role than a new actor. He can still be a world renowned archaeologist at 80, and the character of Indy doesn’t exactly seem like the type of guy to relax and claim his pension. Based on Ford’s appearances in the latest Star Wars movies he’s still able to bring his A game when he’s given the right material (more so in TFA than TROS, obviously), and honestly I’d rather see James Mangold have a crack at the series as opposed to another half hearted attempt from Spielberg. I’m all for this film, it’s practically guaranteed to be better than Crystal Skull.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

They don't say what his role is but hopefully he's not gonna be playing the villain since that would be unimaginative (he's already taking over for Depp in the next Fantastic Beasts).

It's clear he will ultimately be the villain...but it would be nice if perhaps the filmmakers at least attempted to give us a nuanced character from the outset that appeared not to be the villain... 😉

Mads will add nuance no matter what, of course...but just my wishes... I just hope it's a more meaningful role than his Dr. Strange character, for instance...

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 4:14 PM, excel1 said:

They have to keep following big Batman movies.

Technically Last Crusade and Crystal Skull came out before their respective competing Batman movies, but I like your thinking. Raiders of the Lost Ark came out a week before Superman II, as well. 

• Like 2