kayumanggi

Mission: Impossible - Fallout | July 27 2018 | Paramount | Reactions coming in | "Best action movie since Fury Road"

9 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Am I the only one who found FURY ROAD to be nothing special and, frankly, rather boring? Like, it was a completely senseless movie to me.

Exactly!! I don’t understand how it’s put on such a pedestol it’s a pretty movie sure but with no real substance 

Fury Road was impressively made with all of its practical effects, but the story is a really thin, and the main character is almost pointless. Nicholas Hoult’s character was pretty good, but I don’t get the hype about Charlize Theron’s character and performance. There was nothing wrong with it but it didn’t stand out to me in any significant way.

3 hours ago, harrycaul said:

Yeah, it's not Fury Road. It's just a genuinely good action film filled end to end with quality action, and that's good enough.

This is...correct.  MI movies, ok, I’ll stand by MI the first one as beyond normal blockbusters, by normal I mean even excellent ones like this one...

But this...was an excellent action.  And...nothing more.  It’s great fun.  Watch it.  Super enjoyable.  RT score?  Totally understandable, what’s not to like.  It’s taut, the action is great, and TC is on point.  But it ain’t fucking Fury Road.

Really Solid movie though.  Still....just saying...Ethan Hunt isn’t much more than Tom Cruise being awesome.  And he is.  Oh, he is.

• Like 5

Yeah the first scene was a bit rough lol. Makes Nolan exposition seem like an everyday conversation.

Rest of the movie was a blast and exhilarating and why I go see Mission Impossible films.

But yeah not sure why people are blasting Fury Road's "thin plot" when frankly the plot isn't that much more interesting or complex in Fallout. But that's not the point of these films. 

Oh and I didn't find the score as distracting as I feared it would be which was good. Some parts did sound way too much like TDKR's score though.

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr

Part of the reason Fury Road is so great is *because* it understands the value of simplicity. There's no mess of backstory, exposition, double-crosses and betrayals to choke on in between the action, it's all about clear goals and decisions and consequences. Would that more action movies followed that model. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JB33 said:

Am I the only one who found FURY ROAD to be nothing special and, frankly, rather boring? Like, it was a completely senseless movie to me.

People lost their mind for a bloody car chase. I feel as if Fast and Furious is more inventive.

• Haha 1