kayumanggi

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM | 22 JUN 2018 | Universal | J.A. Bayona to direct | The Park is Closed | NOT THE FRANCHISE WARS THREAD

7 hours ago, excel1 said:

Jurassic World was epically underestimated and this no different

I don't think that having underestimated a new film or decade+ later revival of a sleeping franchise means much when judging the prospects of a sequel.  

People underestimated TDK, The Avengers, Jurassic World, TFA, and pretty much every huge break out film out there. They then proceeded to overestimate most of their sequels. 

• Like 3

Looking at pre-sales for this near me at one of the busiest cinemas in the UK, I wouldn’t expect it to do anywhere near as much as JW unless walk ups are massive. The midnight showings are barely worth putting on by the looks of it.

I hope I’m wrong, but I’d temper those expectations.

I think it's interesting how many on here seem to enjoy sh"t talking this upcoming movie or franchise or seem to hope this movie fails. You downplay the success of the first Jurassic World and refuse to acknowledge the large fan base this franchise has. 

Why? Is there Disney bias on here? Is Jurassic Park not allowed to be a major franchise?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

I think it's interesting how many on here seem to enjoy sh"t talking this upcoming movie or franchise or seem to hope this movie fails. You downplay the success of the first Jurassic World and refuse to acknowledge the large fan base this franchise has. 

Why? Is there Disney bias on here? Is Jurassic Park not allowed to be a major franchise?

I think its because JP isnt an internet hype-driven franchise, but rather a GA-monster. The first JW had a mediocre reception online but a glowing one among the moviegoers, thus generating these massive numbers. Reading JW predictions from 2014/15 is one of the funniest things to do on this forum, especially if you are a big JP fan like me :lol:

I fully believe that Fallen Kingdom can explode in a similar manner as the first JW if the audience reception is as good or better. Things will look worse, when it has a The Lost World-like reception, but in Bayona i trust.

9 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I think its because JP isnt an internet hype-driven franchise, but rather a GA-monster.  

You know that's the first I've ever heard it like so if you don't mind explain the difference between the two why would Jurassic World not be considered an internet hype driven franchise and what constitutes as one?

20 minutes ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

You know that's the first I've ever heard it like so if you don't mind explain the difference between the two why would Jurassic World not be considered an internet hype driven franchise and what constitutes as one?

Franchises like Star Wars, Marvel, DC or Harry Potter have fanbases that have a massive online presence for various reasons. That also means that when a movie with a divisive reception comes out (The Last Jedi/Man of Steel) its practically a war on all fronts on reddit, YT, Twitter and even on this forum here, which is still tame compared to something like the YouTube comment section.

These franchises have countless people in the Internet that commit their lives for generating theorys, videos, reviews etc. Think of the unholy amount of SW theory videos on YouTube or the countless pages of online discussions about Marvel vs DC. Now, all these "fanboys/girls" actions result in certain franchises having a very strong voice in the Internet and thus the level of hype for such a movie can very well indicate how well the movie in question will perform, atleast on Opening Weekend. 

Think of Infinity War breaking all the records after breaking all the trailer view records and Solo: A Star Wars Story doing awful after having terrible marketing and trailer views.

With all that in mind, Jurassic Park also has a large amount of fans ofc, maybe not even much less than Marvel and Co. - but they dont have the same presence online. I personally think the reason is the long delay between Jurassic Park III and JW. In the time between those movies (2001-2015), the Internet exploded and thus the franchises that became more and more popular in that time (Marvel, DC, Harry Potter, Star Wars...see the pattern?), while JP remained silent till 2015. And just looking at trailer views for Fallen Kingdom, they really arent that bad. They just cant compete with something like Marvel, so Marvel fans are fast to determine that Fallen Kingdom will definetly gross less than, lets say, Black Panther Worldwide.

What they're forgetting is that the core appeal of JP is as simple as it gets: Seeing dinosaurs on the big screen. And people love dinosaurs, especially among the GA, which has millions of people who dont have an online presence at all. But they're still coming to see it, if the reception is good.

That is why JP wont ever break trailer views recors. Thats why JW was so incredibly surprising for many people, the walk-ups were astounding. And thats why the franchise keeps getting underestimated.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

This thread is living proof. The movie comes out in three weeks and we're barely over a hundred pages. Doesn't mean the movie can't make a shitload of money, it just means the nature of the property doesn't lend itself to online geekery. There's not exactly much to talk about with dinos running riot over and over.

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

This thread is living proof. The movie comes out in three weeks and we're barely over a hundred pages. Doesn't mean the movie can't make a shitload of money, it just means the nature of the property doesn't lend itself to online geekery. There's not exactly much to talk about with dinos running riot over and over.

Why can you say accurately in 4 sentences for what i spend 15 minutes writing a wall of text :ohmygod:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

This.

In a similar way that people thought ”The Fast & the Furious” & ”James Bond” wouldn’t be major franchises....and yet look how those franchises turned out with their biggest hits. Some blockbuster franchises have this one massive grosser, adding more gross to their brands, and Jurassic World is no exception. Just because Disney have some large franchises, doesn’t necessarily mean other studios aren’t allowed to have their mega-franchises.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

it just means the nature of the property doesn't lend itself to online geekery. There's not exactly much to talk about with dinos running riot over and over.

i'm sure we can work something on dinosaur power levels let's go.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Goffe said:

i'm sure we can work something on dinosaur power levels let's go.

Spinosaurus vs. T-rex power levels break down is right up @aabattery’s alley.

You go ahead boy. Tell us exactly how much stronger is Spinosaurus >>>>> T-Rex 

Edited by Sam
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

9 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I never want to see this trailer again.

I don't know whose idea it was to play the JP theme in the highest pitch possible but I really hate them for it. Never fails to hurt my ears.

• Like 2