kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

12 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Yeah Poppins is such a property that Disney probably wanted to keep absolute control/final say on everything ? Needed some veteran they could have confidence to play well with that, very logical for them to go with someone that just did 2 other Disney movie for them.

The guys made the first billion dollar Pirates movie, Oscar winning Chicago, not sure the pool of veteran proven track record better than that, that would accept to play by Disney rules and interested by the material is quite big. 

Exactly, and not just “play by the rules”, but someone who clearly has a good working relationship with Disney. He’s not an unknown commodity in any way for them. 

• Like 2

Lmao his PotC movie is the worst one by far and Verbinski actually did the first billion PotC movie, not him. Despiste Nine, he is a safe director for musicals and Into the Woods probably got him this job.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, CJohn said:

Lmao his PotC movie is the worst one by far and Verbinski actually did the first billion PotC movie, not him.

Rob Marshall's Pirates movie might be the worst film I've ever seen in cinemas. Just awful. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it'd also be 170 minutes long and feature an offensive johnny depp performance as mary poppin's native american uncle or something. hell yeah.

The animated "Horse in Tree" musical number would've been a real showstopper. 

Edited by MrGamer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Lmao his PotC movie is the worst one by far and Verbinski actually did the first billion PotC movie, not him. Despiste Nine, he is a safe director for musicals and Into the Woods probably got him this job.

You are right on both point.

• Like 1

I have very mixed feelings about how MPR's box office run is going to go. I think that many people are wanting a huge film to fill the gap of not having a SW film this holiday season. People think that MPR could make 50% of a SW film. But the reviews are mixed, the songs have been declared forgettable and the film doesn't do anything that the original didn't do. It may end up seeing a steeper drop past the holidays for a run that takes it to around $200-$220 million domestic overall. Good but not great.

Just now, jedijake said:

I have very mixed feelings about how MPR's box office run is going to go. I think that many people are wanting a huge film to fill the gap of not having a SW film this holiday season. People think that MPR could make 50% of a SW film. But the reviews are mixed, the songs have been declared forgettable and the film doesn't do anything that the original didn't do. It may end up seeing a steeper drop past the holidays for a run that takes it to around $200-$220 million domestic overall. Good but not great.

it's not

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TMP said:

That would really be something. A $300m+ budgeted movie musical, hot damn.

Mary Poppins, where Johnny Depp stars as the title character.  The animated sequences feature singing eels that are animated in the same style as Rango.  There would be a total of 25 musical numbers for a 3 hour 15 minute runtime.

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

it'd also be 170 minutes long and feature an offensive johnny depp performance as mary poppin's native american uncle or something. hell yeah.

That certainly sounds more interesting than Mary Poppins: The Force Awakens, even if it wouldn't be as competent  😐

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

Johnny Depp would be the one giving the bad cockney accent in that one.  Only Depp’s wouldn’t be intentional, glorious.

My wife and I attended an advance screener of MPR on Monday and we fully enjoyed it.

The theater was packed and had many kids age 5-12 in there, to me a bit unusual given it was still a school night here. Still, the kids were audible in their enjoyment of the film.

Grade: A-/B+

Some songs are sure to catch on as are certain sequences likely to largely thought memorable. It'll take time to know this. I do feel the opening solo song is weak though. The films footprint is firmly rooted in the original and yes this is a sequel they make that clear.

I'll be surprised if this doesn't do as well as many here have anticipated. 

• Like 1