cannastop

Encanto | November 24, 2021 | Walt Disney Animation Studios | Byron Howard and Jared Bush direct, music by Lin-Manuel Miranda

Going with the assumption that LMM wrote the songs and melodies (primarily) for Vivo.

I realizing something.

Spoiler

I don't dislike LMM's music, I dislike his music for Disney.

It's like they make him simplify everything, from the melodies to the lyrics. You could hear it in Moana and it's even more obvious here.

"One of a Kind" from Vivo has a variety of styles, and yes it does have callbacks to previous lyrics, and "Family Madrigal" is just repetitive and simple in how it conveys the information. They're both for children, why is the latter so simple?

Surface Pressure and We Don't Talk About Bruno are the best ones.

Also a featurette:

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 1

Sounds like a good movie. Raya was quite enjoyable. Though I have to laugh at this pull quote from the CNN review on RT "The main departure, and it's an interesting one, is the lack of a traditional villain, an absence that's felt but mostly overcome by the warmth and energy behind the execution, which effectively draws audiences into the story." This is very common for recent WDAS movies!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Sounds like a good movie. Raya was quite enjoyable. Though I have to laugh at this pull quote from the CNN review on RT "The main departure, and it's an interesting one, is the lack of a traditional villain, an absence that's felt but mostly overcome by the warmth and energy behind the execution, which effectively draws audiences into the story." This is very common for recent WDAS movies!

Yep Moana, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Frozen 2 and Raya don't really have main villains. I prefer that though than the twist villains they were previously doing as it really only worked for me in Wreck it Ralph. 

• Like 1

yeah definitely recent disney movies have lost something taking away the villains imo. and no twist villains either i'm talking about evil looking motherfuckers who show up and sing about how much being bad rules. no idea why they've stopped with this.

• Like 6

I remember how I didn't like the Moana songs before the film and even the movie was just Ok on first watch and then I loved it on rewatch. So far I really like the songs, they are cute & inventive. Will Lin-Manuel be the next Alan Menken? Or is he already?

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah definitely recent disney movies have lost something taking away the villains imo. and no twist villains either i'm talking about evil looking motherfuckers who show up and sing about how much being bad rules. no idea why they've stopped with this.

The recent live-action remakes/reimaginings that have been casting big stars or notable names as their iconic villains (Jolie, Stone, Blanchett, McCarthy, Gadot, Luke Evans, etc.) is filling the "baddie" quota for the Disney brand at the moment, I suppose.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The recent live-action remakes/reimaginings that have been casting big stars or notable names as their iconic villains (Jolie, Stone, Blanchett, McCarthy, Gadot, Luke Evans, etc.) is filling the "baddie" quota for the Disney brand at the moment, I suppose.

The Descendants disrespect!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just came back,and I have to say we have a new classic on our hands.Perhaps some reviews are not as passionate like say a Pixar film for the film doesn’t have the ambitions of the “what if ideas “ like said studio.But there’s a real intimacy to the film,particularly shown through the subtle and sophisticated character animation.And the song sequences are so fun and colorful with a particular focus on great choreography-something not usually shown in an animated musical.I also really appreciate the character driven aspect of the film as opposed to a big complicated adventure.It also has this unique but familiar feel to it in how it’s still a “Disney fantasy musical” but more intimate and character based.I mean this when I tell you that the film has that potential of wide emotional appeal like something of “coco”.Go see it and bring your whole family……you’ll perhaps feel more connected to them after seeing this magical film.

Edited by Melosh
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2021 at 12:33 AM, lab276 said:

They should bring back villains IMO. I'm getting tired of the "dark force taking all the magic away" plots.

The studio probably wants to focus on more internal character growth,something that you could lose with a traditional villain.