CaptainJackSparrow

AD Astra | Sep 20 2019 | Sci Fi | Best movie of the year with a B- cinemascore? | Brad Pitt

There are those films that really make you understand the word 'tedious'. Watched in IMAX with a friend without knowing anything about it beyond it being a sci fi film with Brad Pitt. We both tried our best honestly but by the last 45 minutes we were over it and I felt tired and lost. It was gorgeous though, and had elements of what could be a more interesting film with some cool world building. I would have liked to see more of the Moon politics/pirates or the stuff with researchers or even just a realistic take of Earth in a time period where commercial space-trips were a thing but I didn't care about Brad Pitt's xter at all. It also made me realize that I can't think of more than a couple of movies Brad Pitt's led that I have cared for. He works better working off others.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Proud to announce AdAstra has 2.5 times more showings than Rambo18 in my country.

Also: movie was a pleasure. Obviously cheap (40m. budget max?) - but money well spent.

I don't know what some of you are smoking, but this is indeed one of the most pleasant and family friendly movies. Would be a shame if most crowds miss it.

Oh - and a special BOOO to the wisecrackers who were sure this would get a C-. It got a B. Already proven wrong. It seems audiences have more taste than some critics, lol - even after being mislead by an action-skewing late trailer. Go Pitt!

Edited by shayhiri

The thing is James Gray probably throws up a little in his mouth when he hears the word entertainment  associated with movies so a martian type film is probably impossilbe for him to make.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

Is this at all like the Martian (not plot-wise)? I really want there to be another "smart" sci-fi that's pretty accessible, but from things I'm hearing, while it is "good", it isn't exactly GA-friendly the way The Martian was. 

Not really. It's more downbeat and violent.