Alli

Weekend Thread. Dark Tower 19.5...Dunkirk 17.6....Emoji 12.3...Girls Trip 11.4 not sure what page| Not the sex thread

6 hours ago, That Floating Guy said:

Wow that was awful.  Equal parts unintentional comedy, boredom, and just groanworthy moments.  The first 30 minutes or so are HILARIOUS though, and McConaughey's Razzie-esque performance is fucking gold to watch.

That's fantastic to read. Ham McConaughey is the best McConaughey.

• Like 3

Also if your movie requires someone of extraordinary intelligence and intellectual ability to get it, then your movie sucks. 

The best films are able to properly convey messages/themes that most folks might not really understand. The best films are the ones that are able to engage a broad audience and allow them to understand/grasp the theme/message you're trying to tell. If your film isn't doing that, then is it actually a good film? Are you actually telling the story in a good way? I don't think so. 

Its like a teacher explaining a difficult topic to a student, using words that the student doesn't understand and then saying "Oh well you're too stupid to understand this. This topic is only for the brilliant students/people of the world." The best teachers are able to take even the most difficult topics there are to understand, and teach them to students in a way that the students actually understand them. 

I know most folks don't view films this way....but I've learned A LOT about the world through films. And the best films, in my opinion, take those difficult themes/topics that aren't easy to comprehend and makes them easier to comprehend. 

• Like 6
  • Astonished 1

I've admitted to going full loonie on IT, so I totally understand everyone's trepidation  regarding the more bullish predictions. 40-50 is the 'safe' range and should not be considered a disappointment by anyone. With that said, you gotta have at least one or two ridiculously bold predictions a year, right? And, for me, IT has the most potential to surprise everyone this fall. Now my ridiculous IT prediction relies on a few factors. One, I am expecting this August to continue with unbelievably weak grosses. In fact, I expect the remainder of the top 12 that weekend to have a combined gross of less than 30M. Which, obviously, leaves IT a lot of room at the top. Also, the film will need to dominate presales. And I mean completely demolish the competition. With the top films as low as they'll likely be at the end of the month, the film will need an absolutely massive lead on Pulse and MT. And I expect it to start popping up frequently the second tickets go on sale. Third, while I don't believe this film will live or die by great reviews, I do think it's an absolute must for the film to have stellar reviews to reach the heights I'm expecting. If everything falls into place, the sky's the limit imo.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Baumer watches more movies than just about anyone. That includes every bit of Oscar bait that gets released each year. I don't agree with him on everything but I respect him. He's definitely not ignorant. 

And thank you.  

We don't have to agree all the time, but as you said, I do try to make up my own mind before I judge a film.  And I try to see as many films each year as possible.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I agree that neither of them should have won.  Deadpool should have.

That's what I wanted to say but bit my tongue and was like hmm let me save my Deadpool stanning for Deadpool 2. 

So you said it and not me. :lol:

• Like 2

Just now, Ozymandias said:

I didn't watch it either but I was mad I didn't when I heard it gave us the biggest blunder in Oscar ceremony history though with that BP mixup.

Even with that... still don't feel like I missed anything. Such a "whatever" year and frankly I didn't want to waste 4 hours of my life seeing rich entitled assholes peeing in their diapers whining about Donald Trump. Spotlight winning the year before certainly was a wet fart too.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, nomyth said:

I've admitted to going full loonie on IT, so I totally understand everyone's trepidation  regarding the more bullish predictions. 40-50 is the 'safe' range and should not be considered a disappointment by anyone. With that said, you gotta have at least one or two ridiculously bold predictions a year, right? And, for me, IT has the most potential to surprise everyone this fall. Now my ridiculous IT prediction relies on a few factors. One, I am expecting this August to continue with unbelievably weak grosses. In fact, I expect the remainder of the top 12 that weekend to have a combined gross of less than 30M. Which, obviously, leaves IT a lot of room at the top. Also, the film will need to dominate presales. And I mean completely demolish the competition. With the top films as low as they'll likely be at the end of the month, the film will need an absolutely massive lead on Pulse and MT. And I expect it to start popping up frequently the second tickets go on sale. Third, while I don't believe this film will live or die by great reviews, I do think it's an absolute must for the film to have stellar reviews to reach the heights I'm expecting. If everything falls into place, the sky's the limit imo.

So in other words:

8Ny84QY.gif

• Like 4

Just now, Ozymandias said:

I didn't watch it either but I was mad I didn't when I heard it gave us the biggest blunder in Oscar ceremony history though with that BP mixup.

I only got in to watch the last 20 minutes...which apparently became the can't-miss viewing of the whole night...

I think the saddest thing is that 20 years from now, I'll remember the screw-up from this Oscars (which I knew was happening as I was watching), and not any of the nominated movies...I don't think anything was truly A+ last year, so they'll all eventually fall into the "very good, but forgotten" category for me...

So, I can't get too moved one way or the other that X didn't win over Y, b/c nothing was that epic for me...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blankments said:

BP noms last year ranked:

1. La La Land

2. Arrival

3. Manchester by the Sea

4. Moonlight

5. Hell or High Water

POWER GAP

6. Hacksaw Ridge

7. Fences

8. Hidden Figures

9. Lion

Of the nominated films?  The first half of Lion should have won (too bad about the second half).  Of the rest: Hell or Highwater, Hidden Figures. Moonlight, Arrival

Not nominated: Hunt For The Wilderpeople Elle , & Monster Calls would place over those five

There are also about five animated films I'd have ranked over most all the nominated films last year and at least one non animated blockbuster. B)

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

IMHO, LLL, Hell or High Water, Hidden Figures, Lion, Manchester, Arrival and especially Hacksaw Ridge were deserved winners before Moonlight.  Deadpool should have won but of the nominated films, HR was the best of the bunch.

2 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Even with that... still don't feel like I missed anything. Such a "whatever" year and frankly I didn't want to waste 4 hours of my life seeing rich entitled assholes peeing in their diapers whining about Donald Trump. Spotlight winning the year before certainly was a wet fart too.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, not only did I not see or care about Moonlight(drama about a gay black dude) or La La Land(musical about 2 really good looking white people singing about how awesome Hollywood is), I knew it was just gonna be Trump bashing all night even though they're all part of the same condescending out of touch 1% that gave us an orange Reality TV star for President.  I'm sure they all think Russia installed him so they can sleep at night but lets not get into politics. :lol:

• Like 1