Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

6 minutes ago, PANDA said:

I think Washington or Eastwood probably gets in over Gosling or Male

Klansman feels like it's gotten weaker since release in terms of its awards prospects (tho also kind of in quality imo). I would be pretty surprised if Washington managed to sneak in when the critics won't be there for him.

Eastwood will probably knock Gosling out as long as it's a noteworthy performance. The Mule will be a late screener and doesn't have the MUST SEE factor a late release like Vice has.

Edited by WrathOfHan

17 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

ethan hawke in first reformed is still the performance of the year in best actor at least. i think you'll see a lot of the substantial critics awards go to him. definitely in the running.

Nah, A24 isn't campaigning any of their films this cycle. Nothing is getting screeners sent out or screenings scheduled. If any of their movies is nominated, it'll be Eighth Grade or Mid90s in Screenplay, and that's still an uphill battle without screeners. The WGA nominations will be pretty telling because Roma and The Favourite are ineligible.

Edit: Granted, the screeners/screening thing could change, but they should've been out by now to get buzz going. Nobody is going to dig it out in December's flurry.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Nah, A24 isn't campaigning any of their films this cycle. Nothing is getting screeners sent out or screenings scheduled. If any of their movies is nominated, it'll be Eighth Grade or Mid90s in Screenplay, and that's still an uphill battle without screeners. The WGA nominations will be pretty telling because Roma and The Favourite are ineligible.

han you've gotta stop talking at me like i'm not right most of the time. 

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, Porthos said:

Any one else who loves Drama as well, should be tagged here.  I literally laughed in pain at the end for three whole minutes.

I love how I got tagged for "loves drama".  😘

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

So it is tomorrow the day we see Chris Pine's dick, please someone inform me the minute the scene starts so I can spot it in the morning when I wake up.

I'm sure the gifs will be all over Tumblr before sunrise on the east coast.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I know most of this should be (and is) in the politics thread, but...

FLORIDA, EVERYONE.

EVERY SINGLE TIME, IT HAS TO BE FLORIDA!!!! :ohmygod: :hahaha:

I've come to accept that the words "Florida" and "recount" go naturally hand in hand.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Im gonna try and start using this site less. I want to cut off (or at least limit) my nerdom. I’ve already stopped visiting some of my nerdy news sites, and unsubscribed from my most of my movie news related YouTube channels. It’s just a bit too much. Seeing grown men passionately complain about She-Ra (a Netflix cartoon for little girls) in my YouTube recommendations was the straw that broke this camels back.

I’m tired of the comic book movie cycle and debate. Honestly I’m starting to think all these big budget “fan” event movies have started to erode the culture. Watching grown adults angrily vent their political frustrations and insecurities through poorly thought out critiques of media intended for children, and seeing people just acting like it’s normal is mind blowing and I’m sick of it.

This place is a pretty great and fun community though. I just don’t want to know or hear about how Star Wars is now “sjw propaganda” and nonsense like that. Even in nice online communities there’s always discussion on the nonsense and for me now that’s too much.

I’ll pop in to give opinions on some movies I feel like discussing, as well as see opinions from some other members, but aside from that I’m gonna try and be gone.

• Sad 8

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

ethan hawke in first reformed is still the performance of the year in best actor at least. i think you'll see a lot of the substantial critics awards go to him. definitely in the running.

Agreed. It's a tough performance (and tough movie) to forget, so I think critics will go to bat for him.