DeeCee

***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***BLACK PANTHER SPOILER THREAD***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***

I don't get the Serkis complaints.

I thought he was perfect. 

People saying he was a cartoon probably need to visit South Africa once. I'm fairly certain he modeled after some real life, thrill seeking white South African merc who is constantly manic and giddy.

In fact I wish that Klaw was in AOU.

Also, Klaw was smart, skilled and unpredictable. It was always suspenseful when he was engaged with the heroes cause I knew he had the experience and tricks to win.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I don't get the Serkis complaints.

I thought he was perfect. 

People saying he was a cartoon probably need to visit South Africa once. I'm fairly certain he modeled after some real life, thrill seeking white South African merc who is constantly manic and giddy.

In fact I wish that Klaw was in AOU.

Also, Klaw was smart, skilled and unpredictable. It was always suspenseful when he was engaged with the heroes cause I knew he had the experience and tricks to win.

I'm pretty sure there is only one person who is anti-Klaw ( @CoolEric258 ) and it has been almost universally decreed that he is very wrong and his opinion is trash.

• Like 1

The militant 60's Black Panther vs the regal technocrat Black Panther was done flawlessly.

There is so much to chew on from that social commentary that I'm kind of confused by people who say the movie had little to offer and say "but the visuals were cool".

There's the hood revolutionary vs the wealthy blacks element...Many blacks become successful and give up on saving the inner cities while those left behind fight an unforgiving battle in the "belly of the beast".

and then there's African vs American black conflict. These two groups often getting into pissing contest and look down at each other instead of helping each other.

Then there's looking at the inner conflict of the black American soldier or agent who helps a country that sabotages and exploits Third World countries while finding resentment from all sides, even from his fellow soldiers and agents, then finally goes Rogue. The thing is Killmonger is based on recent and real-life black nationalist terrorist in a way never explored in a film, let alone a superhero movie.

And the fact that Killmonger is deeply connected to Wakanda's secret effort to help blacks fight an oppressive system only adds more layers.

The visuals and the superhero tropes were just the icing on the complex and heavy political cake.

@Valonqar

@Blank Panther

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The militant 60's Black Panther vs the regal technocrat Black Panther was done flawlessly.

There is so much to chew on from that social commentary that I'm kind of confused by people who say the movie had little to offer and say "but the visuals were cool".

There's the hood revolutionary vs the wealthy blacks element...Many blacks become successful and give up on saving the inner cities while those left behind fight an unforgiving battle in the "belly of the beast".

and then there's African vs American black conflict. These two groups often getting into pissing contest and look down at each other instead of helping each other.

Then there's looking at the inner conflict of the black American soldier or agent who helps a country that sabotages and exploits Third World countries while finding resentment from all sides, even from his fellow soldiers and agents, then finally goes Rogue. The thing is Killmonger is based on recent and real-life black nationalist terrorist in a way never explored in a film, let alone a superhero movie.

And the fact that Killmonger is deeply connected to Wakanda's secret effort to help blacks fight an oppressive system only adds more layers.

You won't get me much disagreement from me. One of the reasons why I really liked Kilmonger so much, was because he actually had a sound reason for doing what he wanted to do. Like most good villains he thinks he's the good guy. In theory his ideas work, it's just that he goes about the wrong way, which is where the conflict comes in. 

Definitely one of Marvel's stronger villains. The phase 2 villains in general have a marked improvement, but Kilmonger is by far the most compelling of the bunch. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Loved the cameo from Moonlight's Alex Hibbert in the last scene!

OH I was like "....why does this kid look familiar, pretty sure time does not stand still in California and those aren't Erik's playmates."

-The leader of the outcast tribe, that T'Chala beats, in the throne challenge, at the beginning? He's the MCU incarnation of Man-Ape? He's wearing fury animal hide later in the movie, that makes him look like the comics villain. His tribe must have been terrified of him. After you get your rear end handed to you, your foes among the tribe, that feared you, are supposed to be emboldened to try a coup :). Didn't happen...they needed to show him beat down an attempted coup :).

-the little sister, the gadget girl, was a little too goofy...

-the bald military leader? She was badass. She could whip Panther's behind :)!

-the CIA actor? Mailed it in. Seemed bored.

-people got excited by Jordan's street slang, but I wouldn't call him the best villain of the MCU. Calm down :). It's still Loki and Hela.

-It was a self contained story...it's a Russo Universe (RCU; Cap, Bucky, Falcon) spinoff movie, but that has nothing to do with this film. I expected a Cap cameo, Falcon...just Bucky, in the ending post credit.

-Marvel Studios is getting less lazy about doing CGI animation work in the non-Avengers movies. They would keep their solo movies down to costumes and paint, with post production green screen work.  The CGI rhinos was a surprise. 

Edited by OdinSon2k14

10 minutes ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

-The leader of the outcast tribe, that T'Chala beats, in the throne challenge, at the beginning? He's the MCU incarnation of Man-Ape? He's wearing fury animal hide later in the movie, that makes him look like the comics villain. His tribe must have been terrified of him. After you get your rear end handed to you, your foes among the tribe, that feared you, are supposed to be emboldened to try a coup :). Didn't happen...they needed to show him beat down an attempted coup :).

-the little sister, the gadget girl, was a little too goofy...

-the bald military leader? She was badass. She could whip Panther's behind :)!

-the CIA actor? Mailed it in. Seemed bored.

-people got excited by Jordan's street slang, but I wouldn't call him the best villain of the MCU. Calm down :). It's still Loki and Hela.

-It was a self contained story...it's a Russo Universe (RCU; Cap, Bucky, Falcon) spinoff movie, but that has nothing to do with this film. I expected a Cap cameo, Falcon...just Bucky, in the ending post credit.

-Marvel Studios is getting less lazy about doing CGI animation work in the non-Avengers movies. They would keep their solo movies down to costumes and paint, with post production green screen work.  The CGI rhinos was a surprise. 

Killmonger's way better then Overplayedki and Dulla tbh.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

people got excited by Jordan's street slang, but I wouldn't call him the best villain of the MCU. Calm down :). It's still Loki and Hela.

Um...yeah, if Killmonger's plan succeeded, I hope Philly would've been the first city to go.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1

Did anyone find the movie felt rushed at times?

The bad guy is king..Black panther wakes up and then bam the final battle scene starts.

I think that really diminished the film to me and why I don't rank as top tier marvel like iron man 1 or winter solider.

30 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Did anyone find the movie felt rushed at times? The bad guy is king..Black panther wakes up and then bam the final battle scene starts.

Not really. After T'Challa was tossed over the waterfall, took what felt like a few days for him to appear again. Final battle begins, but then took another hot minute for those two to finally go at it.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

Did anyone find the movie felt rushed at times?

The bad guy is king..Black panther wakes up and then bam the final battle scene starts.

I think that really diminished the film to me and why I don't rank as top tier marvel like iron man 1 or winter solider.

Yeah...i posted in my review that the last 30-40 mins felt rushed. Kill Monger takes over the throne, but within a day or two T'Challa has it back. That entire climax kinda bugged me. That's why it give it a 7.5-8...most likely 8. 2 points docked because of that..the line by MBJ at the end saves it from going down to 7.5. 

12 hours ago, Jandrew said:

Lemme tell you what your problem is: you don't practice what you preach. You are constantly on this forum up in arms complaining whenever someone makes a topic remotely political, yet you go out looking for it. I say Americans are dumb for not going to Paddington and you somehow throw Trump into it. You look for the political narrative. You sniff and seek it out so you can call out people on their "bullshit."

My "problem" is that I notice your SJW tirades.

You mean that Paddington post where you obviously brought politics into it?   Then you denied it whereupon I quoted you again proving that you brought politics into it?   You of course had no answer for that and just posted a "clever meme".  You brought "Trump" into it of course.   Go dig up your post if you think you were so "innocent".  I dare you.   

So we can dispense with your little act right now.

And you think the "important" narrative that has infected this movie for the past few months isn't obvious?   It's toxic and cannot possible be a positive for anything.

Edited by Harpospoke