CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

5 minutes ago, Premium George said:

So, what is more impressive, OS or DOM? I will go with OS right now. OS like performance in US would mean $80m friday.

OS is more impressive at the moment because we already see the holding power it has through 2nd or 3rd day in release over its own record breaking ODs. 

• Like 4

I wonder how close Disney will get to the $3B mark for year. They're already gonna be well over $1B by the end of the weekend and it's only 1/3rd done, and they have quite the promising slate for the remainder (Solo, Incredibles 2, and Ant-Man will all make over $250M, much more most likely in the case of the first two, and they have a big-looking end-of-year slate as well, in particular Mary Poppins Returns, which is shaping up to be the event movie of Christmas this year). 

5 minutes ago, Sam said:

Gonna dispute another “cap” today. 

I guess Sunday is the only weekend day we don’t put a cap on since it’s the most unpredictable.

Yeah, it's going to blow well past the alleged $70m cap for Saturday. The question is can it go above the $78.6m inflation number for 2012 Avengers? 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/f-th.htm?page=Sat&adjust_yr=2018&p=.htm

One thing I'm noticing in these inflation charts. TFA really gets screwed compared to Jurassic World. Apparently ticket prices jumped a lot in the final quarter of 2015 compared to June 2015. In 2018 they are showing over 11% inflation for JW compared to only 5.5% inflation for TFA. If you give TFA a 10% inflation boost from its actual Saturday gross, it ends up right around $75m instead of the $72m listed in this chart. 

• Like 5

As of Friday ... 284M ... still Sat and Sun to cash $$$$. I'd say OW DOM and OW WW records are for IW. 

MV5BMjMxNjY2MDU1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzY1
Avengers:
Infinity War

Domestic Total as of Apr. 27, 2018: $105,967,000 (Estimate)
Distributor: Buena Vista Release Date: April 27, 2018
Genre: Action / Adventure Runtime: 2 hrs. 36 min.
MPAA Rating: PG-13 Production Budget: N/A

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $105,967,000    37.3%
Foreign:  $178,500,000    62.7%

Worldwide:  $284,467,000  

8 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

So what do you guys think the final total will be OS? 2B?

$2b is within reach I agree, I can sense its potential.

If what we experienced in SW7 is now repeated, I don't see why not this passing $2b WW too....

Don't tell me ER, ER now is not much worse or better than for SW7

5 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Not sure how it gets anywhere near 225m. Already showed its less frontloaded then Last Jedi which did 59.8m true friday where Infinity did 67m? That just seems like a bad projection.

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wonder how close Disney will get to the $3B mark for year. They're already gonna be well over $1B by the end of the weekend and it's only 1/3rd done, and they have quite the promising slate for the remainder (Solo, Incredibles 2, and Ant-Man will all make over $250M, much more most likely in the case of the first two, and they have a big-looking end-of-year slate as well, in particular Mary Poppins Returns, which is shaping up to be the event movie of Christmas this year). 

@That Ambitious Guy  worst nightmare 

5 hours ago, SteveJaros said:

IW isn't beating any of TFA's modern DOM records. That's always been completely wishful thinking. But that's not anything to be ashamed of either, TFA is the most popular DOM movie of the past 20 years, and the second-most popular DOM movie of the past 35 years. Those types of films aren't released every year.

Fans should be happy that this opening bodes well for IW's chances to be the DOM runner-up of the year, ahead of JW2 but behind BP, though it's going to be close. 

Which is the first? 

3 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Not sure how it gets anywhere near 225m. Already showed its less frontloaded then Last Jedi which did 59.8m true friday where Infinity did 67m? That just seems like a bad projection.

I think it will go 240+. Needs about $74m Saturday and $60m Sunday. Those are very reachable numbers based on the data we have so far. 

Are we discussing the possibility of Disney lowballing the shit out of the OD number and the industry estimate being closer to reality? Because optimist me thinks it's still on the table and it could show on actuals :sparta: I mean, I could never doubt Rth and his number was close to spot-on, but Empire then reporting 107 and the following tweet of the 107-110 range has me guessing.... plus, memba' that historic Black Panther lowball? Me too. (Though that was the product of a Sunday hold that IW could never wish having, as BP benefitted from a holiday Monday, so I wouldn't expect anything close). #tinfoilhat

Also.... is there a chance that, with the absolute CRAZE that Marvel is experiencing right now - and Infinity War seems to have terrific wom so far (still at 93% and 4.6/5 on Flixster/RT audience score; IMDB is fanboy town but it's noteworthy that it hasn't dropped from 9.1/10) - could Ant-Man And The Wasp blow up past 100M on OW? I mean, I doubt it, given that it's a much smaller movie in comparison, but who knows. Hell, there's a chance fucking Venom of all movies makes 90-100M OW with the insane hype it's been getting lately.

Edited by MCKillswitch123