CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

How To Talk To Girls At Parties, Under The Silver Lake look interesting, but unlikely to catch fire.

Sorry To Bother You could surprise, though. Keeping a close eye on that one.

Blindspotting maybe a minor hit.

The Spy Who Dumped Me gets big laughs for its trailer.

8 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Tbh, there's a lot of people that don't know A4 exists, so to them, this could have been "the end". And technically speaking, if we go by what happens in the movie, it is "the end" in some ways. For the characters at least.

IW was sold as a climax, though. It wasn't sold as Part 1: it was sold as its own separate one film entity. If they sell Avengers 4 as "the end" again, people might notice that and think: "wait a minute, just a year ago they had us believe they were ending the MCU w/IW, and now they're 'ending' the MCU again?". Plus, IW was the 1st time we saw Avengers + Guardians together, so that novelty is out the door too. Sure, the following up of the story is gonna have HIGH interest, and I have no doubt it opens to 200M+. But I think @CJohn once made a very good comparison: it could be like a Pirates 2 (at the time the OW record holder) to Pirates 3-type thing.

I'm pretty sure everyone noticed it isn't an "ending" lol....

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Looking at this summer's slate...the pickings are very slim in terms of contenders. Even the indie titles look to remain such.

Uncle Drew, Crazy Rich Asians, Happytime Murders and Slender Man all have the potential to be surprise hits. 

Uncle Drew (only major broad comedy for the whole month of July) 

Crazy Rich Asians (likely PG-13 date night surprise hit breaking barriers with its nearly all-Asian cast, great counterprogramming for R-rated Happytime, following two dumping ground weekends and The Nun's OW) 

Happytime Murders (if it ends up being Melissa McCarthy's best since Spy, $65-75 million wouldn't be too outlandish IMO) 

Slender Man (horror has had a renaissance, several horror films in recent years have done $100 million+ DOM and crossed over to non-horror fans, Don't Breathe - from the same studio - did well in the pre-Labor Day frame two years prior, will be the first major horror film since Hereditary in June or arguably First Purge in July) 

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

:winomg:

:lol::lol:

......you might find that inconcievable, but anedoctal evidence: a lot of people that I know that went to see IW, casuals on that matter, were unaware of the 4th movie coming out next year, even considering how IW ends. So there's that.

3 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Avengers 4 will have fantastic marketing, it basically sells itself after infinity war, and will open better. Hell, everybody was searching for carol Denvers on the Internet after IW , I can’t imagine the type of marketing and the opening weekend of A4 . But sure let’s start underpredicting this already, I mean we had to go through months of underpredicting IW because “the hype isn’t there”, “nobody in my neighborhood talks about it “, “this doesn’t feel like an event film”  e.t.c These have begun to be replaced by weird stuff like “marvel marketed IW as the end so they played that card” . 

But..... they did.

Now, I agree with you: A4 will pretty much sell itself, and I think Captain Marvel will help it a lot too. I wouldn't call someone who bets money on A4 breaking IW's OW record an idiot. But there's also a possibility that it comes down from IW.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

......you might find that inconcievable, but anedoctal evidence: a lot of people that I know that went to see IW, casuals on that matter, were unaware of the 4th movie coming out next year, even considering how IW ends.

You only had to listen to the reactions in the theater when the film ended to know that a lot of people were unaware that there's another Avengers film coming out in a year.

("What the Holy Fuck?!?" was pretty much the gist of it.)

14 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Tbh, there's a lot of people that don't know A4 exists, so to them, this could have been "the end". And technically speaking, if we go by what happens in the movie, it is "the end" in some ways. For the characters at least.

IW was sold as a climax, though. It wasn't sold as Part 1: it was sold as its own separate one film entity. If they sell Avengers 4 as "the end" again, people might notice that and think: "wait a minute, just a year ago they had us believe they were ending the MCU w/IW, and now they're 'ending' the MCU again?". Plus, IW was the 1st time we saw Avengers + Guardians together, so that novelty is out the door too. Sure, the following up of the story is gonna have HIGH interest, and I have no doubt it opens to 200M+. But I think @CJohn once made a very good comparison: it could be like a Pirates 2 (at the time the OW record holder) to Pirates 3-type thing.

What's the worst case scenario? a 1.5B ww for A4? So sad...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

Uncle Drew, Crazy Rich Asians, Happytime Murders and Slender Man all have the potential to be surprise hits. 

Uncle Drew (only major broad comedy for the whole month of July) 

Crazy Rich Asians (likely PG-13 date night surprise hit breaking barriers with its nearly all-Asian cast, great counterprogramming for R-rated Happytime, following two dumping ground weekends and The Nun's OW) 

Happytime Murders (if it ends up being Melissa McCarthy's best since Spy, $65-75 million wouldn't be too outlandish IMO) 

Slender Man (horror has had a renaissance, several horror films in recent years have done $100 million+ DOM and crossed over to non-horror fans, Don't Breathe - from the same studio - did well in the pre-Labor Day frame two years prior, will be the first major horror film since Hereditary in June or arguably First Purge in July) 

BlackKklansman

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

......you might find that inconcievable, but anedoctal evidence: a lot of people that I know that went to see IW, casuals on that matter, were unaware of the 4th movie coming out next year, even considering how IW ends. So there's that.

But..... they did.

Now, I agree with you: A4 will pretty much sell itself, and I think Captain Marvel will help it a lot too. I wouldn't call someone who bets money on A4 breaking IW's OW record an idiot. But there's also a possibility that it comes down from IW.

Yeah they did, and I didn’t mean to insult you , but the hook of avengers 4 is really great , without going into spoiler territory. I honestly think that it will, at the very least, open higher than IW and possibly perform even better for a number of reasons that I won’t mention cause , again spoilers.  Of course the movie has to actually be great, cause IW was amazing , but I am optimistic that it will be great

a lot of media outlets are thinking 132-134.

it would need a 30%+ sat bump from true friday to do that. dp1 jumped 22.8% from true friday.

18.6 + 34.7 + 45.1 (+30%) + 33.8 (-25%) = 132.2

I think the fact that Super Troopers 2 is standing a chance to be in the Top Ten with less than 500 theaters is incredible. It's got some competition nipping at its heels, but it's exciting for sure.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Haha so funny.

Did you pay money to see Deadpool (since it’s a superhero bro film) or just pirate it like every other film you fee the need to pass comment on? 

Um I was not a huge fan of the first..

I spend like 250 bucks on IW tickets for me and my cousins and etc lpl..

I may watch it this cheap Tuesday but depends on time 

2 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I think the fact that Super Troopers 2 is standing a chance to be in the Top Ten with less than 500 theaters is incredible. It's got some competition nipping at its heels, but it's exciting for sure.

tumblr_oyg5kpdIaD1vww08oo3_540.gif

tumblr_oyg5kpdIaD1vww08oo4_540.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2