Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

a quiet place kinda played like a movie that's opening the door for something cooler down the line. like the first friday the 13th or first evil dead or something. of course saying this the sequel gonna be wack as fuck.

• Like 2

I watched A Quiet Place the day after I pulled a double feature of monsters-hunting-by-sound classics in Tremors and The Descent and uh yeah it couldn't help but suffer in comparison. Not that I would have been a fan otherwise, but watching them all close together was instructive. Like for one thing it's much more effective when the characters encounter the threat suddenly and have to adapt to it immediately than when they've been living with that threat for a year offscreen and we have to watch 45 minutes of worldbuilding before the really good stuff begins. 

Edited by Jake Gittes

5 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The most annoying backlash to me is the Avatar one. Just because James Cameron has his entire head up his ass and his fans are the most annoying wankers alive folks gotta act like the movie isn't neat

Eh, I love the film as much as anyone, but a lot of the backlash there had a sound foundation, if maybe amplified a lot by the movie's popularity.

Though I'll be glad to see the "no pop culture resonance" blathering go when the sequel's marketing campaign gets underway. 

Edited by tribefan695

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Davy Jones and his crew from Pirates probably are the best CGI creations ever and hold up from over ten years ago 

The CGI on Jar Jar Binks is really good and that was 20 years ago

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Because it's a much better movie, a bigger event, a movie that will be talked about for farrrr longer, and more important for representation?

Saying BP is a better movie than IW is a matter of opinion and one that I strongly disagree with.

• Like 4

Just now, Chewy said:

The CGI on Jar Jar Binks is really good and that was 20 years ago

Yeah ah the character may be awful but the CGI isn’t bad at all and I think he was tr first major motion capture character in a film 

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Eh, I love the film as much as anyone, but a lot of the backlash there had a sound foundation, if maybe amplified a lot by the movie's popularity.

I'll be glad to see the "no pop culture resonance" blathering go when the sequel's marketing campaign gets underway, though.

Yea I'm not saying there aren't legit criticisms, of course there are. But the "it's terrible, dances with wolves lol" garbage that gets trotted out

Edited by Chewy

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The most annoying backlash to me is the Avatar one. Just because James Cameron has his entire head up his ass and his fans are the most annoying wankers alive folks gotta act like the movie isn't neat

The execution of Avatar is spot on. That's why it was so successful. Anyone who whines about "we've seen that story/characters before!!", well yeah how many blockbusters can we say that about? Most of them. They need to go back and re-evaluate the execution, because it all works. 

• Like 4