Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

And here I thought Ocean's 8 was gonna be the movie that brought out the ugly side of the Internet this summer. Sure glad I was wrong about that!

O8 might end being a surprise hit!

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

It didn't bomb. It had an $8.5 million budget with a minimal marketing campaign aimed primarily at kids and it performed as expected. It served it's purpose. By definition it is not a bomb. Nice try at revisionist history.

Clone Wars was designed as a promo for the upcoming TV series and used footage from what was going to be the first four episodes which they then edited together into a movie. From WB and LF's POV, it did much better than expected considering it was only announced six months before release. $68.5m on a $8.5m budget is not to be sneezed at.

18 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

OH MY GOD

Can we please all just DONT talk about TLJ here?! I dont care if you love or hate it i am tired of seeing the same fucking arguments again and again and again. This is the SOLO weekend thread so can we please fucking talk about that instead? Its not like we dont have the numbers now!

except TLJ has 100% to do with this. It was the last movie in the franchise and it clearly soured a lot of people despite what people here claim

I understand Rian Johnson fanboys are now upset and are lashing out now that it is clear TLJ was not that well received by audiences to the point where it clearly hurt the brand, but it is time to accept it. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rebelscum said:

What's the difference from you continuing to say you like it and you don't understand the dislike and want it to go away so SW can continue exactly how you want without acknowledging the criticisms?

I didn’t just make an account on a Box Office website just to trash a movie, that’s the difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

My annual rewatch might have to become bi-annual.

The best thing about LOTR for me is it's dialogue, sure it has epic battles and great visuals and story but dialogue is still the king for me. I feel that is one aspect of this trilogy which is not appreciated enough.

one way solo can approach the 139.8 4-day record:

14.1*3.0 = 42.3 od = 14.1 + 28.2

36.7 (+30%)

33.0 (-10%) = 112.0 3-day

27.1 (-18%) = 139.1 4-day

Though this gives the 3-day (112.0) as 7.9x the previews (14.1) while TFA, RO, TLJ OWs have been 4.4x, 5.3x, 4.9x the previews.

7.0*14.1 = 99 3-day and 123 4-day the most IMO:

24.4 = 38.5 od

31.7 (+30%)

28.5 (-10%) = 98.7 3-day

23.4 (-18%) = 122.1 4-day

Edited by A2k Raptor
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

except TLJ has 100% to do with this. It was the last movie in the franchise and it clearly soured a lot of people despite what people here claim

I understand Rian Johnson fanboys are now upset and are lashing out now that it is clear TLJ was not that well received by audiences to the point where it clearly hurt the brand, but it is time to accept it. 

Im srsly done. I will put everyone on ignore that keeps recycling the same fucking arguments, starting with you.

• Like 1

You cannot dismiss that people thought a Han Solo origin story was a stupid idea to begin with though. So no it's not just TLJ fault, I'd say it's the film's premise fault more than TLJ's mixed reception. This was never a billion dollar idea.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

Soooo haha these numbers... amiright guys? So much better than getting into fanboy wars?

Where will this end up for OD? 35? 38? 40? Who knows, let’s talk about that instead :ph34r: 

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

So basically everyone is praying it will play like an MCU film over the weekend. Lol

This is the type of post that is irritating.

People are not "praying" for anything.

Some people are speculating, for reasons that have been articulated in many threads over the last few days,  that Solo's OW might be less front loaded then the last Christmas released SW films.  They are either right or they are wrong which we won't know until tomorrow although we can try to gain some insight from what happens throughout today.

That is what we do in a numbers thread on a Box Office forum.

This treating individual movies/franchises like sporting events where individual members seem to have personal stakes in their outcome turn this threads into cesspools when people start gloating/ranting if they perceive they have 'won' or 'lost'.

It happens on both side but the negativity and wishing for movies to fail far outweigh the overly positive fanboys.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

episode 9 thread is going to be a day of reckoning on this forum lol 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

My cat is named Solo. We adopted/stole him on the weekend TFA dropped, hence the name. He's the best. Way better than anything Ron Howard ever directed IMO.

Finally some good news for Solo, well done.

image.gif

I would laugh if this ended up being like Fantastic Beasts where a lot of people expected low-ish numbers because they were expecting Harry Potter-level frontloading and it ends up doing better than that. FWIW it's on track to sell better at my theater for tonight than it was for last night so...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Absolutely. TLJ hurt the brand. I saw Solo, only begrudgingly, because I intensely disliked TLJ. But I really wanted to give Solo a chance. (And Solo disappointed me again).

Theres going to be lots of people whos bum will never be on the Solo seat, because they simply dont care about SW enough to give it a second chance after TFA.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, REC said:

The 14.1m in previews seem to point to a potentially middling result this weekend?  Like not great, not terrible, something down the middle.  Is that how you guys interpret it or do we not know yet?  This would seem to point to something above 100m domestic for the 4 day.

Yeah domestically it might turn out to be somewhere between decent and slightly disappointing, especially given EC's comments (since he has access to data).

OS is the problem. :gold:

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I would laugh if this ended up being like Fantastic Beasts where a lot of people expected low-ish numbers because they were expecting Harry Potter-level frontloading and it ends up doing better than that. FWIW it's on track to sell better at my theater for tonight than it was for last night so...

well it should or else its heading for a sub 30 million opening day :hahaha:

I actually thing this is heading for a 100 million 4-day which I think is okay considering the terrible presales. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1