NickDisney13

Hustlers | Sept 13th, 2019 | STX | Jennifer Lopez, Constance Wu | 25th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

27 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Number of lines doesn't equate to better performance. Robbie has one of the most powerful performances of the year and saying she doesn't deserve a nom because she doesn't have a lot of lines is dumb. Would be surprised if JLo in any single scene in Hustlers is as good as Robbie was in the cinema scene.

while I agree that she stole her scenes in the cinema theater but does anything else standout? I think if bombshell is any good she'll probably campaign harder for that one. 

4 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Joan Crawford Anne Bancroft. 

Melissa Leo for The Fighter spent money on her own ads.  She won.  

Melissa Leo was already winning precursors when those "Consider" ads showed up, people were confused about why she was doing it and speculated those ads might hurt her chances to win. This article goes into the history of nominees who took out their own ads, the track record is mixed:

https://deadline.com/2011/02/oscar-melissa-leo-goes-rogue-with-her-own-personal-campaign-ads-103757/

I follow JLo on Instagram, in her IG stories she's been putting up screencaps of Hustlers reviews where she's praised in the headline. She will be relentless on the campaign trail, can't wait! I think there will be some snobbery about her overall career from Oscar voters, that's what hurt Stallone in the end according to awards bloggers.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Melissa Leo was already winning precursors when those "Consider" ads showed up, people were confused about why she was doing it and speculated those ads might hurt her chances to win. This article goes into the history of nominees who took out their own ads, the track record is mixed:

https://deadline.com/2011/02/oscar-melissa-leo-goes-rogue-with-her-own-personal-campaign-ads-103757/

I follow JLo on Instagram, in her IG stories she's been putting up screencaps of Hustlers reviews where she's praised in the headline. She will be relentless on the campaign trail, can't wait! I think there will be some snobbery about her overall career from Oscar voters, that's what hurt Stallone in the end according to awards bloggers.

Aww I think JLo has got a great reputation though, she’s worked with so many people over the years. The only other celebrity I can think of that hates her is Mariah Carey 😂

15 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

What hurt Stallone was that for many many years he was a largely disliked asshole who burned a lot of people when he was on top.

That and Rylance - a considerably better actor gave a better performance.  And he didn't campaign at all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Number of lines doesn't equate to better performance. Robbie has one of the most powerful performances of the year and saying she doesn't deserve a nom because she doesn't have a lot of lines is dumb. Would be surprised if JLo in any single scene in Hustlers is as good as Robbie was in the cinema scene.

Lol I can’t take this post seriously 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Aww I think JLo has got a great reputation though, she’s worked with so many people over the years. The only other celebrity I can think of that hates her is Mariah Carey 😂

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

What hurt Stallone was that for many many years he was a largely disliked asshole who burned a lot of people when he was on top.

That and Rylance - a considerably better actor gave a better performance.  And he didn't campaign at all.

Look up "Jennifer Lopez Movieline interview", in her younger days she was definitely not lacking in ego and rubbed some in the industry the wrong way. That was a long time ago, granted.

I just remember reading some, "Does the Academy really respect Sly? Will they vote for him because he gave one good performance and ignore all the bad ones?" takes that season. With Jennifer, there is a sentiment out there that she did a bunch of romcoms and chased after pop diva-dom, squandering what could have been a more respectable acting career (OTOH, she's also admired for carving out a lucrative career in showbiz when Hollywood hasn't had the best history with Latin women). In a contest with Laura Dern, for example, there will be some voters who feel Dern has a much more impressive overall acting resume than Lopez, so that makes her more deserving.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

Her campaign begins!

The Super Bowl is one week before the Oscars this year, but I just looked it up, the game falls in the middle of the voting period (Jan 30 to Feb 4). If she gets nominated, it would be huge visibility but there would also be "Is this what we want from a serious actress?" takes, too.

I know awards followers who have snarked about Jennifer showing up at the Oscars so much when she's never been close to a nod, they are so used to looking down on her as an actress, I wonder how they'll react to her being in contention. I remember the massive denial about Bullock with The Blind Side, though Hustlers is much more Awards Twitter friendly than that...

• Like 2