MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

On 9/7/2021 at 4:26 AM, Dominic Draper said:

Latest hate trend? She has been called out for this for literally years since she first rose to fame off the back of her offensive caricature.  Don't confuse you just hearing about it this week with reality. It's not cancelling someone to want them to apologize and address the issue. 

Its really tired claiming having legitimate criticism of someone as cancelling them. Nobody is cancelling her. Her career is doing just fine. They simply want her to address the issue.

She doesn't need to address shit. She's a rapper and she's allowed to act like one. 

• Like 2

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah but there is a virtual print fee paid. It differs $500-1k in different countries.

That included in the 4% fee if there is one I think, virtual print fee where a part of the deal to incentive theater to pay for new equipment and share the cost saving happening.

In very new market where movie are playing in screens that did not exist before digital distribution happened I am not sure it is has relevant:

http://www.chinagoabroad.com/uploads/v2/images/2015/07/screen count.png

China is getting to what 80,000 screens now, they had less than 5,000 screens before digital projection did became the norm for a good time for new construction (I imagine that was less than 10 year's after Phantom Menace release) .

1 minute ago, Dominic Draper said:

Guess she should slap on some black face too while she is at it, complete the character. She is a rapper after all that makes it okay.

One of the most powerful cultural group on the planet part of the giant cultural bulldozer that is the USA popularized ways to speak in general and more so in some aesthetic (rap being one of them), people that partake in them get extremely influenced by that extremely influenceable group.

Is there much to explain, is there an issue ?

21 hours ago, Cap said:

I sought on a premium regal screen and I thought it looked crystal clear. There were two sequences that I might have rolled my eyes out because I thought they could’ve tossed in some more light, but over all good. 

I saw it again on my local screen, and I thought it was really dark. So it might just be the quality of the equipment you saw it on. Unfortunately. 

As my friend jokes, hopefully James Cameron will force everyone to upgrade their projectors for Avatar 2.  

It's not even a matter of upgrading in most cases but changing bulbs, cleaning or just taking off the 3D lens

https://www.businessinsider.com/movie-theaters-ruining-masking-curtains-projector-bulb-brightness-2018-7

Narrator:  Another problem? Projector brightness, which can be affected by the age and cleanliness of the bulb, along with any dirt or smudges that may be on the window of the projection booth. Some "Solo" attendees reported seeing extremely dark almost unviewable projections with a few saying that they had to struggle to see what was on screen.

Chapin Cutler: If the standard that's been established for the amount of light that is supposed to be on the screen isn't there, then not only does the picture look dark but you don't see anything that goes on in the shadows. All of that information disappears.

Narrator: And if there was a 3D showing in the theater before a standard 2D showing a lens meant only for 3D movies may still be on the projector making the image two thirds darker than it should be.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, exomassey said:

The Chinese box office does help boost the international numbers for smaller films like Ant Man and Cap America to make it look more impressive.

Not only smaller movies:

CM

WW with China = 1,128,462,972

WW without China = 1,128,462,972 - 154,070,663 = 974,392.309

Bye bye 1B. Not so impressive anymore, eh?

CW aka Avengers 2.5

WW with China = 1,153,337,496

WW without China = 1,153,337,496 - 180.794,517 = 972,542,979

Oops, they did it again. No 1B for the biggest team up since AoU. 

Far From Home would also miss 1B without China. 

It isn't just on Marvel side. Aquaman would kiss over 1B goodbye without almost 292M from China. Fate of the Furious wouldn't crack it either without almost 393M from China. 

In other words, there are very few movies that crack 1B w/o China (including if you subtracted China gross)

19 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Not only smaller movies:

CM

WW with China = 1,128,462,972

WW without China = 1,128,462,972 - 154,070,663 = 974,392.309

Bye bye 1B. Not so impressive anymore, eh?

CW aka Avengers 2.5

WW with China = 1,153,337,496

WW without China = 1,153,337,496 - 180.794,517 = 972,542,979

Oops, they did it again. No 1B for the biggest team up since AoU. 

Far From Home would also miss 1B without China. 

It isn't just on Marvel side. Aquaman would kiss over 1B goodbye without almost 292M from China. Fate of the Furious wouldn't crack it either without almost 393M from China. 

In other words, there are very few movies that crack 1B w/o China (including if you subtracted China gross)

Yes very true.

Just makes Joker run more impressive being R rated, no China and no 3D. I don’t think we will see a lot of films replicate that for a long time. Maybe the Batman? If it’s quite similar in vain to Joker, that audience will definitely come back.

49 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Yes very true.

Just makes Joker run more impressive being R rated, no China and no 3D. I don’t think we will see a lot of films replicate that for a long time. Maybe the Batman? If it’s quite similar in vain to Joker, that audience will definitely come back.

Yes Joker is really one of a kind. I don't think Batman will do the trick cause audience has a thing for Joker more than for Bats. But Bats+Joker would do it I think.

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

are we talking about 1 bill sans china ? well then.....spidey...

Yes. Far From Home would miss the mark without China. Though return of Tobey and Andrew would assure that NWH passed the mark w/o China pre-pandemic. We'll see how things go with variants in December. 

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yes. Far From Home would miss the mark without China. Though return of Tobey and Andrew would assure that NWH passed the mark w/o China pre-pandemic. We'll see how things go with variants in December. 

not by much though... 70 mill less or so lets see how shang and eternals do without  china....

Edited by john2000

23 minutes ago, john2000 said:

not by much though... 70 mill less or so lets see how shang and eternals do without  china....

Miss is a miss. Most movies that would miss the mark without China wouldn't miss it by much. But there's no doubt that 1B looks better than 900M+ and 1B wouldn't be possible without China cause the rest of markets exhausted the demand. 

5 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Maybe Biden's new mandates will help us in the U.S.