Eric Quinn

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

Some early press screening reactions (the owner of the blog is a Rotten Tomatoes critic - https://www.rottentomatoes.com/critic/jordan-ruimy/movies)

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2020/8/9j7re4a3q83tj38crh0tfoa0spj7dk

Christopher Nolan’s “Tenet” is only coming out in Europe/Canada in 11 days, but that hasn’t stopped Warner Bros. from screening the film for press in certain countries. One of those countries is Canada, where a highly secretive press screening took place in Toronto this past week. I was sent two reactions by journalists who were lucky enough to have attended a screening of the film, one in Toronto and the other in Europe, both of which had their theaters almost completely desolate, with the Toronto journalist saying his theater was 95% empty.

Given the secrecy of the plot, no spoilers will be posted here. In fact, I am refraining from reading anything about “Tenet” until I get to see it at a scheduled press screening. Regardless, here are the first two reactions I received:

This was clearly made for Nolan fans, through and through, they will love every single minute of it and it’s also his best movie since “Inception.” It’s akin to Scorsese going back to mob movies or John Ford making another Western. A sort of back-to-the-basics approach for Nolan after making “Dunkirk.” There are so many twists and turns in “Tenet,” it has a puzzle-like nature to its story and the weight of the action scenes is enormous. The 150 minutes just flew. Quite honestly, I still don’t fully grasp a few things within the story, a second viewing will help clear a few things up but it’s very much a time-travel movie done in the most deliberately complicated of ways. If Inception was about dreaming, then “Tenet” is about reversing time and righting the wrongs of the past. The locations are also stunning, this was shot on-location in many countries. This will probably make a boatload of money because it gives Nolan fans exactly what they want and the final scene does bring the need for multiple viewings.

The next person —

“Contrary to mainstream moviegoers, I am not an unabashed fan of Nolan’s movies. For example, I find his best work was actually “Dunkirk,” in that movie he tried to abstain from giving us his usual puzzle and just made this masterfully technical and minimalist vision of WWII. Other films of his I like are “Memento,” “Insomnia,” “The Prestige” and “The Dark Knight (up until the final 20 minutes). No, I don’t particularly love “Interstellar” and “Inception,” they felt like forced visions to me, as if he was trying to show off, purposely confusing us in the process, rather than just telling his story in coherent fashion. I also never thought he was that great at shooting action, he doesn't like lingering on a shot for too long, always cutting from shot-to-shot. Regardless, “Tenet” is not “Dunkirk,” but we already knew that would be the case, it is, however, far better than “Inception” and “Interstellar” because a) there isn’t as much exposition b) the actors actually act, especially a stellar John David Washington, I also loved Elizabeth Debicki’s role, Robert Pattinson is the cool and calm demeaned fella ala DiCaprio in Inception c) the reverse-engineering plot device is actually not that complicated, you can actually follow this movie and not get too lost. Yes, much like some of his other movies, “Tenet” plays a lot with time and fate, but it does so in refreshingly concise ways. The action scenes are also flat-out great, It feel like Nolan has learned a lot from his experience in “Dunkirk,” he’s now much more confident in the way he stages his action, there’s barely any overreaching, it all feels very effortless.

8 minutes ago, Daenys said:

Some early press screening reactions (the owner of the blog is a Rotten Tomatoes critic - https://www.rottentomatoes.com/critic/jordan-ruimy/movies)

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2020/8/9j7re4a3q83tj38crh0tfoa0spj7dk

Less exposition than Inception/Stellar seams like a step up, especially since this looks even more complex than either of those so Nolan must have really had to control the urge lol. Dunkirk having no exposition at all might have helped him grow as a film-maker if this turns out to be the case.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The Tenet ads here have “and special engagements in 70mm and IMAX FILM”. Well, Melbourne is in lockdown so Melbourne IMAX is shut and Sydney IMAX is still just a shell so no IMAX for anyone in Australia. 

• Sad 2

Think I’m gonna have to watch this on a camrip since theaters are still closed (and virus cases have been rising for past week and some restrictions in certain regions are expected to go back in place)

last time I saw a camrip of a movie was Solo A Star Wars Story (theaters were closed in Ramadan) and before that was Wonder Woman back in 2017 (movie was banned in the region for political reasons).

The worst thing about cam rips is usually just sound quality but besides that most camrips  are watchable i guess 

The fact this is opening without the two main movie states in the country (which still have their movie theaters closed by law and have no set date as to when they can open) definitely throws a wrench into any plans to launch a major marketing push for this. Although the studio will likely still have private screenings for industry people and organizations like the HFPA even as normal folks in LA and NYC are left out in the cold.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

The fact this is opening without the two main movie states in the country (which still have their movie theaters closed by law and have no set date as to when they can open) definitely throws a wrench into any plans to launch a major marketing push for this. Although the studio will likely still have private screenings for industry people and organizations like the HFPA even as normal folks in LA and NYC are left out in the cold.

I don’t get why NY and LA can’t just wait, lmfao. They get indie films weeks, if not months, before the rest of the world, can’t they be last for once haha

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

I don’t get why NY and LA can’t just wait, lmfao. They get indie films weeks, if not months, before the rest of the world, can’t they be last for once haha

I mean, they do make up a sizeable chunk of the box office (especially for a movie like this, which is automatically gonna have more upscale appeal as the latest Nolan joint).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think it’s fucked. Wish they would delay this a solid year. I want to see the movie in IMAX but I don’t feel comfortable sitting in movie theater right now. 

I have my tickets for IMAX, but ya, can't see how this does gang busters. Still, if the action is truly great, then it could end up a moderate succes. 

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think it’s fucked. Wish they would delay this a solid year. I want to see the movie in IMAX but I don’t feel comfortable sitting in movie theater right now. 

Ehhh I am not so sure, let's see how it plays out long-term. It is basically uncontested everywhere for a month+. It could/probably will open at pathetic levels but see virtually no drop off, in fact increases, in business for the first few weeks. I could open to the equivalent of $5 million domestic and then basically not drop for the next 30 days with the occasional increase mixed in.

This is going an extremely interesting run to watch because it is absolutely a marathon as opposed to the usual sprint. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

Cut by 9 seconds in the UK to get a 12A rating

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/tenet-film

(UK version is 149m 50s, other countries is 149m 59s)

Also speaking of UK, there are now three drive-ins screening it to date, two week engagements (Colchester and Newark-on-Trent from 28th, London from 31st). First booked for the 31st but then...yeah let's do this 160 mile round trip for that 72 hour head start :D (it's also a 'proper' drive-in with DCP projection and not LED screen)

Edited by antovolk
  • Astonished 1