Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of this getting pushed again suddenly if there's another major spike within the next two weeks (no doubt why WB's not doing much to market this right now) but with theaters getting ready to open for real this time I doubt it happens.

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

If it ends up being really good that just makes me more annoyed at this doomed release schedule.

It will no doubt get insane viewings on Digital if it ever goes there. 

Edited by excel1

WB next schedule moves seem obvious. Tenet limited opening all September, wide release on October 1st, Wonder Woman moves to Dune's date, Dune sometime in 2021. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, excel1 said:

WB next schedule moves seem obvious. Tenet limited opening all September, wide release on October 1st, Wonder Woman moves to Dune's date, Dune sometime in 2021. 

Unhinged is opening in 2,000+ theaters next weekend and will be adding a couple of hundred more the following so this is probably gonna be in well over 2,500 theaters Labor Day weekend. They just need to hope it'll last long enough so that it can still play in LA and NYC.

Advance ticket sales for Christopher Nolan’s “Tenet” begin this Friday, August 21, for three days of sneak previews that start Monday, August 31.

Tickets for regular engagements, which start Thursday, September 3, will be available Thursday, August 27.

To participate in “Tenet,” theaters must agree not only to follow local laws, but also to comply with the not-yet-published but already disseminated safety standards drafted by the National Association of Theater Owners. These include wearing a face mask anywhere in a theater, with the exception of when consuming concessions.

Edited by TMP
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Theaters that play “Tenet” must agree to pay Warner Bros. 63% of the gross, and to uphold mask-wearing safety standards.

Isn't that also the same percentage (or in the same area) Disney demanded they be paid by theaters for Star Wars lol?

Good to hear that they're also on board for the mask rules though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Isn't that also the same percentage (or in the same area) Disney demanded they be paid by theaters for Star Wars lol?

Good to hear that they're also on board for the mask rules though.

Hmm how long will the 63% share go for Tenet in this limited release? iirc Disney got 65% of TLJ gross for the first 4 weeks (domestically obviously)

8 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Hmm how long will the 63% share go for Tenet in this limited release? iirc Disney got 65% of TLJ gross for the first 4 weeks (domestically obviously)

The movie's entire run, it says. Nolan is greedy as hell lmao (since I know he had a deal for 20% of this movie's gross).

I guess it all adds up but this feels like a slap in the face to the chains, who make most of their money from concessions and will be struggling to turn a profit all things considered.

WB wanting theatrical monopoly for Tenet, and basically looking at the timelines, for WW84 as well

The demands on number of weeks to play are at the high end:

• “Tenet” must have the largest non-IMAX screen each week, until otherwise agreed
• Single screens – 4 weeks, with a third-weekend holdover figure determinant in place
• Twins – 5+ weeks
• 3 to 8 screens – 8 weeks
• 9+ screens – 12 weeks

• Like 1

The theaters won’t care too much about the percentage they have to hand over. As long as they sell plenty of snacks and audiences have a great time. 
Just getting audiences back is worth everything to cinemas. With all the product they could have had, this was the one movie they’d have picked if they wanted to assure an amazing blockbuster experience I guess. 

If I was a theater owner I’d rather have audiences be leaving something like Tenet probably bouncing off the walls, than a ‘yeah it was like I expected’ kind of routine nearly all of the other summer tentpoles probably would have been.  They need them excited to be at the movies again, and leave thinking it was worth it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

The theaters won’t care too much about the percentage they have to hand over. As long as they sell plenty of snacks and audiences have a great time. 
Just getting audiences back is worth everything to cinemas. With all the product they could have had, this was the one movie they’d have picked if they wanted to assure an amazing blockbuster experience I guess. 

If I was a theater owner I’d rather have audiences be leaving something like Tenet probably bouncing off the walls, than a ‘yeah it was like I expected’ kind of routine nearly all of the other summer tentpoles probably would have been.  They need them excited to be at the movies again, and leave thinking it was worth it. 

I don't know what other theaters have been like for the places that opened up, but I'd be wary if theaters are thinking concessions are gonna be driving enough revenue for them to stay afloat. Just logically speaking it seems like concessions are gonna be really down and I don't know what kind of built in percentage drop off theaters are preparing for to make this work.

The whole thing seems a bit gross but I don't think we're really privy to these details enough for me to say just how much strong arming WB is doing here (other than the extended runs)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

what makes major theater chains that overcharge for popcorn & soda (concessions in general are a ripoff and overpriced) be any less greedy than the movie studio that makes the movie? 

I never said corporate greed is only restricted to studios. But in these circumstances, after all of Nolan's big talk about helping theaters in dire need, WB using the crisis to grab an abnormally high share of the grosses for itself is a spit in the face, the exact opposite of what they ought to be doing if they want to at least make it look like they care. 

• Like 7
  • ...wtf 1

5 hours ago, excel1 said:

Ehhh I am not so sure, let's see how it plays out long-term. It is basically uncontested everywhere for a month+. It could/probably will open at pathetic levels but see virtually no drop off, in fact increases, in business for the first few weeks. I could open to the equivalent of $5 million domestic and then basically not drop for the next 30 days with the occasional increase mixed in.

This is going an extremely interesting run to watch because it is absolutely a marathon as opposed to the usual sprint. 

Who says it won’t drop like a normal run? Maybe it will just be much smaller performance across the board. But honestly I just wish they would release it later for all the folks like me who want to see the movie on the big screen, but not in the middle of a pandemic. 

14 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I don't know what other theaters have been like for the places that opened up, but I'd be wary if theaters are thinking concessions are gonna be driving enough revenue for them to stay afloat. Just logically speaking it seems like concessions are gonna be really down and I don't know what kind of built in percentage drop off theaters are preparing for to make this work.

The whole thing seems a bit gross but I don't think we're really privy to these details enough for me to say just how much strong arming WB is doing here (other than the extended runs)

true. 
I think as a start theaters just want people to return for this movie, and hopefully grab some concessions. More important that they leave happy, and feeling safe to return again. 

it’s all about the confidence building. 

This is just the stepping stone, but it’s about as good a first brick as you could possibly put down....

• Like 2