Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

true. 
I think as a start theaters just want people to return for this movie, and hopefully grab some concessions. More important that they leave happy, and feeling safe to return again. 

it’s all about the confidence building. 

This is just the stepping stone, but it’s about as good a first brick as you could possibly put down....

I guess the problem for me is that I fully expect WB to continue dictating these terms for a long time. I get WW84 getting these terms and maybe Tenet to some degree in light of these unusual circumstances, but for Dune or future films, if WB is going to point to this as precedent, then all they've done is just make the theaters' death a more slow/painful one. And this is just assuming that Tenet is actually going to bring enough audiences back to sustain the theaters for a while.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

To be fair to WB, they are biting the bullet...and seeing these terms, they may keep WW in her slot and just transition from one movie to the next...

And if you're the one studio willing to take the gamble with blockbusters and indoor theaters, and you take less than Star Wars money and some long terms to make up for the light weekend "fills" available for movies (since seats are 50-70% reduced)...yeah, I think it's fair to all parties...

I mean, Disney and Universal hiccuped and went DTV...so good on WB for showing some confidence in theaters...

PS - The long terms also give WB and theaters time for illness waves to pass in and out of an area, so folks can see the movie at some point if they choose...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

WB's terms for this and by extension Wonder Woman make sense since...well, look at how barren the movie schedule is between now and first weekend of November. The next few months are gonna be used as a test run of sorts to see if people are ready to go back to the movies. Not like anything else currently set for September or October demand giant screens either (movies like Candyman or Death on the Nile certainly wouldn't benefit from those formats).

Also in their guidelines is that 3 WB trailers are to be attached to every print of Tenet. I'm guessing they'll be Wonder Woman, Dune, and Suicide Squad since it's now less than a year from release.

• Like 2

WB must be praying for a miracle right now that California and New York will be allowed to open movie theaters again by the time this comes out. They make up over 20% of the box office sales in this country. Lot of potential money being left on the table.

7 hours ago, antovolk said:

Also speaking of UK, there are now three drive-ins screening it to date, two week engagements (Colchester and Newark-on-Trent from 28th, London from 31st). First booked for the 31st but then...yeah let's do this 160 mile round trip for that 72 hour head start :D (it's also a 'proper' drive-in with DCP projection and not LED screen)

Thanks for the heads up! The Newark one is only an hours drive away from me, just booked for the 29th, fingers crossed it doesn’t rain! 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, filmlover said:

WB must be praying for a miracle right now that California and New York will be allowed to open movie theaters again by the time this comes out. They make up over 20% of the box office sales in this country. Lot of potential money being left on the table.

When are NY/LA theaters expected to open ? Is there a timeline ?

If this sort of release strategy becomes the norm for the next little while, I'm kind of excited to start to re-learn box office patterns and predicting with y'all. As I mentioned in @charlie Jatinder's thread yesterday, I spent days upon days learning (and years and years refining) my knowledge of how the box office works. It's sad to see all that sort of go out the window, as many of us can probably attest here, especially those of us who tracked individual theatres in the tracking thread and knew their own theatre's patterns pretty well. However, it might be something of a new exciting beginning in terms of box office tracking. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

If this sort of release strategy becomes the norm for the next little while, I'm kind of excited to start to re-learn box office patterns and predicting with y'all. As I mentioned in @charlie Jatinder's thread yesterday, I spent days upon days learning (and years and years refining) my knowledge of how the box office works. It's sad to see all that sort of go out the window, as many of us can probably attest here, especially those of us who tracked individual theatres in the tracking thread and knew their own theatre's patterns pretty well. However, it might be something of a new exciting beginning in terms of box office tracking. 

You guys better figure out how it all works pretty quickly, where else will Deadline get their numbers from!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

They make be thinking they will be 1st in line regardless 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I wonder if it's because Seoul started imposing more restrictions due to the spike.

Naa, its not early yet that a non-CBM will have big PS. We mostly have CBM comps which are more frontloaded, this should a bit backloaded.

I see it making 225-250k final PS, as compared to 440k of Captain Marvel.

But yeah also depend on how corona cases go in next two weeks 

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

Theaters in Europe will be opened for nearly 2 months by the time Tenet opens. It was necessary to regain customer's trust and in most places the first month or so was absolutely hideous. Meanwhile America wants to speedrun throught all of that with a 2 weeks timeframe. Yeah, it is gonna backfire badly.

• Like 1

Seeing a film early isn't as straight forward as it used to be heh. So many sanitation checks and social distancing and only a select few people per screening room, and that's only if you're lucky and happen to be in the same city. Plus masks on the whole time. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2

7 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Seeing a film early isn't as straight forward as it used to be heh. So many sanitation checks and social distancing and only a select few people per screening room, and that's only if you're lucky and happen to be in the same city. Plus masks on the whole time. 

tenor.gif?itemid=3838613

10 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

tenor.gif?itemid=11117339

45 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

You guys better figure out how it all works pretty quickly, where else will Deadline get their numbers from!

lmao hearing jokes like this makes me feel nostalgic. Can't wait until they're back in full force once the box office finally re-opens fully.

15 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Theaters in Europe will be opened for nearly 2 months by the time Tenet opens. It was necessary to regain customer's trust and in most places the first month or so was absolutely hideous. Meanwhile America wants to speedrun throught all of that with a 2 weeks timeframe. Yeah, it is gonna backfire badly.

How has it gone in Europe? In terms of, theatres regaining audiences' trust? How do you think Tenet would perform in various European countries compared to what it might have done in a pre-Rona world?

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Or they are hoping fans will cross borders - very easy for NYC, maybe not for LA:)...if I was the 1st NJ theater after the tunnel, I'd be on cloud 9 right now...