sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday estimates - Shazam $6.37M | Little $5.37M | Hellboy $4.93M | Pet Sematary $2.93M | After $2.90M | Dumbo $2.27M

I follow a few Disney nerd YouTube channels/Twitter accounts who love everything Disney, and even they didn't seem all that impressed or reserved in their reviews of Dumbo. Anecdotal and a small sample sure, but that's still some pretty damning evidence.

12 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Dumbo crashlanded on earth. These are horrible numbers for a family film. I havent seen it but that seems to be bad WOM at work. Is the film too dark or weird for the GA?

Maybe,  though conversely it's had generally good O/S holds and pretty great holds in France, Spain, Italy and the UK.  It also got quite good reviews in France 3.8/5 avg on Allocine

http://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefilm_gen_cfilm=230141.html

• Thanks 1

I went and saw Dumbo with two women who are ultra enthusiastic about anything Disney and their reactions after we got out of our showing were....muted, to put it nicely. The film definitely hit with a resounding thud.

Edited by JB33

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Sounds about right. Pets 2 was always gonna see a bit of a dip from the first one given that it lacks the fresh hook of that movie.

Universal and Illumination would be thrilled if it did $90m OW, I think it'll do DM3's OW numbers. 

@MCKillswitch123 I was wrong, After is not slowing down, it is getting faster. I just got out of a near full 300 seats screen show and it was legendary. I am all for this taking over Easter for itself and becoming a huge blockbuster. My girlfriend actually liked it quite a bit. She said it was a good adaptation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

20 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I went and saw Dumbo with two women who are ultra enthusiastic about anything Disney and their reactions after we got out of our showing were....muted, to put it nicely. The film definitely with a resounding thud.

Damn. How do you screw up a feel good story about a cute elephant? Lmao

46 minutes ago, John Marston said:

by letting Tim Burton get his hands on it, Tim Burton post Headless Horseman is very hit and miss...mostly miss.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

Get Tim Burton to direct it and clutter it with a bunch of tedious and unnecessary human characters.

Edited by Fielding

34 minutes ago

Beyond Expectation: Avengers: Endgame sold unprecedented $20 million-plus in the first 24 hours of Chinese advance ticket sale. It's higher than any other titles including those box office monsters from Chinese New Year at the same period. More:

D4AXWZfVUAAELks.jpg

just wanna say that the worst type of people to watch a movie with are those that talk the entire time, go on their phone, not pay attention, then blame the movie for why they have no idea what's going on. PET PEEVE #1 :lol: 

• Like 1